Archived Told to game the system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longtime lurker here, my ETL came up to me yesterday and told me to key in the dpci of the item if it wasn't in the location when I'm pulling. Basically, lie. If the product is in location further on though, it won't pull it since it's thinks I already pulled it. He said it's because our numbers are bad. I guess it doesn't matter if the product is on the floor anymore. I mean, I'm good with being told to lie. Do other stores do this?

I believe if you just fix the location in myWork and close and open the pull again it wont ask you to go to that location, instead, the others that actually have the item.

I believe if you just fix the location in myWork and close and open the pull again it wont ask you to go to that location, instead, the others that actually have the item.

Shouldn't I just scan the items there, then if the item isn't there, hit all items scanned? Isn't that why that process exists?

Yeah that’s how you’re supposed to do it, but district probably said something because your brla sucks and your etl’s solution is to cheat the system. You can exit the batch, open the audit app and audit the backroom location. Then go back into your batch and it would just take you to an alternate backroom location if there is one. Usual problem of no time to do this still applies tho haha

He said it's cause they, who is they?, are watching the reports closely. I'm exposing the errors of others, am I not?
Yes but by exposing it you are adding one for the store. Back out of the batch and audit that location . Then go back in and resume with the next location

Sounds like you have a shitty ETL to me
^This. Some ETLs seem to care more about green metrics than they do about having product on the floor, or anything else except making themselves look good by any means necessary. Cheating instead of finding and fixing problems gets those all important metrics green, so that’s what they will tell you to do even though it negatively affects the system, makes more work in the long run and costs the store sales. Asshats.🙄

If you inf it, you take a hit on a tracked metric.

If you take it out of the location in my work, it doesn't hurt any metric (except possibly shrink).

Your boss told you how to handle it (have it missing at the pack point, which is also a tracked metric though no one cares at this time of year).

So, do you want to look like a problem or a solution?

We are told to do the same thing. To the point that we are treated as having created the error since we had the ability to fudge it.

It's even gotten to the point where certain items I will check in MyWork to see which is actually scanned in since that's usually when I "create" an error. (Shampoo and Conditoner being stowed as just shampoo, for example. Or the exact same product but with a sidecap barcode for whatever reason). I don't want to be put in a situation where I'm coached for "creating errors", so I just play along. On an average POG pull, between doing that and pulling casepacks that are obviously transition but were never scanned in, I prevent several errors from being exposed. There have been times where I've pulled more cases that weren't scanned in than those that were.

I've been sorely tempted to stop saving the metrics and keeping the floor full just to see what would happen, but I'm too worried that I'd be blamed to actually follow through.

Longtime lurker here, my ETL came up to me yesterday and told me to key in the dpci of the item if it wasn't in the location when I'm pulling. Basically, lie. If the product is in location further on though, it won't pull it since it's thinks I already pulled it. He said it's because our numbers are bad. I guess it doesn't matter if the product is on the floor anymore. I mean, I'm good with being told to lie. Do other stores do this?

My BrTL threatened to write me up if I didn't key in the DPCI if it wasn't in the location.

I have continued to not do what he wants.

Joke's on the ETL, gaming the system is tracked too!

My whole group got busted for it a few months ago. They sent out an email with a list of every store and how many times they did it. I can't speak for other stores, but I know at mine that shit stopped with a quickness. Now at the time, they were unable to track the individuals who did it. This was just at the store level (which probably saved a whole shitload of people from being thrown under the bus). So if this still holds true, then that ETL is basically just asking everyone to help put the noose around their neck.

My BrTL threatened to write me up if I didn't key in the DPCI if it wasn't in the location.

Yeah, fuck that. I'd take the write up and then hotline it. Whether or not that helps I guess depends on who gets wind of it. But in my group, its a serious no-no.

My whole group got busted for it a few months ago. They sent out an email with a list of every store and how many times they did it. I can't speak for other stores, but I know at mine that shit stopped with a quickness. Now at the time, they were unable to track the individuals who did it. This was just at the store level (which probably saved a whole shitload of people from being thrown under the bus). So if this still holds true, then that ETL is basically just asking everyone to help put the noose around their neck.

Yeah, fuck that. I'd take the write up and then hotline it. Whether or not that helps I guess depends on who gets wind of it. But in my group, its a serious no-no.

Puts me in a bad place I guess. Dinged if I do. Donged if I don't.

What was your store doing? And do you know how they got caught?

What was your store doing?
When doing a pull and the system send you to a location but that item is not there, you are supposed to scan everything in the waco and then hit "All Items Scanned". What the OP's store, my store, and probably a bunch of other stores were/are doing is rather than hitting AIS, they are told to just key in the DPCI instead so it looks like the item was there, therefore avoiding an error, BUT...................................they are tracking what gets keyed vs. what is scanned.

And do you know how they got caught?
Saw the email, and the list. It was a fun read.

My guess is that this happens at probably 90% of stores.

I have hit AIS and M-delete. If the WACO is full to the brim of shit, then I don't have time to audit the location.

Last edited:
I was unaware until reading this you aren't supposed to do that. I was told to put in the DPCI to "clear it from the system". I realized this would make it think there's more on the shelves than there really is, but I figured that our regular auditing/EXF would solve any issues.

From a SFS, perspective we (I tell my team) to always hit "All items scanned" if they have actually done that. As others have stated the other way is just a cheat and games the system. It's better to have your BRLA off for a few weeks, figure out the real problem, and sort it out instead of just cheating your numbers. I had a previous ETL ask me to do the same thing. I said okay, but ignored them. I just created a bunch of ghosts and baffles as a result.

SFS used to use "Pack" on time as the metric for finishing everything for the day. A TON of sorts cheated the system by printing all the collates and "scanning" them so it registered as being packed even if it wasn't. Spot caught on and introduced "Sort" on time. Now everything has to be sorted to a pallet to be "clear". They are probably already working on something to fix people from cheating right now.

I wouldn't want to piss of your ETL, so It's probably safer just to do what they said. At least for a week or two. It will catch up to them at some point.

From a SFS, perspective we (I tell my team) to always hit "All items scanned" if they have actually done that. As others have stated the other way is just a cheat and games the system. It's better to have your BRLA off for a few weeks, figure out the real problem, and sort it out instead of just cheating your numbers. I had a previous ETL ask me to do the same thing. I said okay, but ignored them. I just created a bunch of ghosts and baffles as a result.

SFS used to use "Pack" on time as the metric for finishing everything for the day. A TON of sorts cheated the system by printing all the collates and "scanning" them so it registered as being packed even if it wasn't. Spot caught on and introduced "Sort" on time. Now everything has to be sorted to a pallet to be "clear". They are probably already working on something to fix people from cheating right now.

I wouldn't want to piss of your ETL, so It's probably safer just to do what they said. At least for a week or two. It will catch up to them at some point.

We are told to game the system in Move. If in epick we don't do it. We were told to at one point, but it led to a bunch of INFs so it stopped quickly.

My response is always "If you had bothered to train people properly you wouldn't have to cheat the system." When they do less than nothing to help us get our job done, then have the gall to ask me to hide their fuck ups? Pigs have a better chance of flying.

AIS - is a FlexTM best friend some days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back