Archived ultimate coupon guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Help button can send an alert to the LPDA. You can make it something as innocuous as asking for a pen. Of course this relies on your GSA's LPDA alerts being in working order, them noticing the alert quickly and being free to come over, but it's better than nothing.

AP alerted me to a guest last night that had been in HBA for over an hour filling up carts while consulting her coupons. They asked me to keep an eye out for her and to make sure we shut her down if her coupons were not correct (which we know who she is and they never are the correct coupons). Probably an hour and a half later she shows up and I was so mad because it was like she was waiting for me to be stuck helping a guest. By the time I got over to the lane the cashier had accepted a lot of bad coupons, but the transaction hadn't been finished. So I told the TM that I needed to take over the rest. I started going through the coupons he had accepted and denying them. All were completely wrong or expired, but there is no way I was going to "be bold" with that guest. After the 20th coupon I handed back to her she told me she didn't have time to wait if I was going to read and check all of her coupons, which was the outcome I knew we would eventually get to. But seriously, you have 3 hours to fill your carts (4 heaping carts by the way) but you are now suddenly out of time? I'm not stupid lady. I expect to see you again tomorrow trying the same thing, or see you tomorrow returning these items that you got away with buying at a different Target. I feel like it is a victory when she leaves the store with nothing. But what a waste of time for us having to put it all back! So frustrating

AP alerted me to a guest last night that had been in HBA for over an hour filling up carts while consulting her coupons. They asked me to keep an eye out for her and to make sure we shut her down if her coupons were not correct (which we know who she is and they never are the correct coupons). Probably an hour and a half later she shows up and I was so mad because it was like she was waiting for me to be stuck helping a guest. By the time I got over to the lane the cashier had accepted a lot of bad coupons, but the transaction hadn't been finished. So I told the TM that I needed to take over the rest. I started going through the coupons he had accepted and denying them. All were completely wrong or expired, but there is no way I was going to "be bold" with that guest. After the 20th coupon I handed back to her she told me she didn't have time to wait if I was going to read and check all of her coupons, which was the outcome I knew we would eventually get to. But seriously, you have 3 hours to fill your carts (4 heaping carts by the way) but you are now suddenly out of time? I'm not stupid lady. I expect to see you again tomorrow trying the same thing, or see you tomorrow returning these items that you got away with buying at a different Target. I feel like it is a victory when she leaves the store with nothing. But what a waste of time for us having to put it all back! So frustrating
Ummm.....isn't "reading the coupons" part of our job? I seriously wish some of these people would get a life & a REAL job!!!

I have no issue with "legitimate" couponers....those who build their stockpiles (although part of me wonders what the hell they are going to do with a 10-year supply of deodorant???). I had one last week who showed up at the pharmacy register at 8:58, wanting to check out there! I told her I had already closed our registers & couldn't. She was a TOTAL "B" & threw a fit so the pharmacist on duty told me to go ahead. I made sure to scrutinize every single coupon she gave me & didn't care that I didn't get out until WELL after close! I ended up denying almost half of them & she was at GS when I took the $$ up trying to argue with them that the ones I denied were "valid". I stayed up there until she left, "helping" the GSA.....I think she may have learned NOT to piss off the person ringing you out ;)

I too have no problem with those who use coupons legitimately. I myself use coupons. Saving money is great. But stealing money isn't great. These couponers that buy bulk with coupons don't keep the product. They return it and get the full value back (making $ off the coupons). This is why it upsets me so much.

At my store, the couponers are now getting gift receipts or trying to, so when they return their items we can't see they used a coupon. Their pulling all sorts of tricks now.

At my store, the couponers are now getting gift receipts or trying to, so when they return their items we can't see they used a coupon. Their pulling all sorts of tricks now.

Yes, this is happening to us too. We have been given permission to tell them that they need the original receipt to return there 20 bottles of shampoo, 20 razors, 20 packs of diapers, etc.

Take a pen, and put a small little mark next to one of the lines, in the gift receipt barcode. When you scan it, it'll say an error has occured. Than, you can deny the return.

Of Course, try to do this discreetly.

Take a pen, and put a small little mark next to one of the lines, in the gift receipt barcode. When you scan it, it'll say an error has occured. Than, you can deny the return.
I really like that idea. I could that when I am marking the survey for the guest....hehhehhehe

I really like that idea. I could that when I am marking the survey for the guest....hehhehhehe

You all can still mark your surveys? We got told by district and regional that we weren't allowed to anymore. District said it looked tacky and regional said it wasn't brand.

May have something to do with ETL-GE coaching get tms and tls to say, "if you had an amazing experience, please make sure to take the survey and give us a 10!"

Long story short, not allowed to mark receipts or explicitly mention the survey anymore.

I have cashiers who will call me over to be a second pair of eyes. I am totally cool with that, and will stay with them until they are comfortable, or the transaction is over (however we arrive to that outcome).

I tried doing this for my cashiers but I was told by my ETL-GE that it is harassment and guests feel uncomfortable/targeted by us GSTLs/GSAs, so we are no longer to "read the details" and "hover over" couponers.... I was just like wtf? And walked out of the office.

Wtf? If a cashier ever needs help or has hesitations over any order, I want them to call me over! There are some orders that are a lot of coupons, but you can tell they are legit, and I will just stay by if the cashier runs into trouble. There are others where you know it's all a scam, and those are the ones I help the cashier with.

Wtf? If a cashier ever needs help or has hesitations over any order, I want them to call me over! There are some orders that are a lot of coupons, but you can tell they are legit, and I will just stay by if the cashier runs into trouble. There are others where you know it's all a scam, and those are the ones I help the cashier with.

I completely agree with you! My ETL-GE would say otherwise... *sigh* freaking fresh out of college no-retail experience bitch. I feel so bad not being able to help cashiers with these things.

We are also to never decline a coupon now.

We had a guest want to price match from a print ad and had a coupon which would have made the item free (after price match). I, personally would have done it because it was only like 1 buck, but I wasn't in charge that day and the service desk TM left the guest and went to the LOD about it. LOD said no and the guest was PISSED, looking between me and the other TM shaking his head saying "Oh... that's not good. That's not good business at all." All I could think was - no it isn't. lol Of course I didn't say that. Wasn't my call that day but when I get the opportunity to make a guest happy, I'll almost always do it.

We had a guest want to price match from a print ad and had a coupon which would have made the item free (after price match). I, personally would have done it because it was only like 1 buck, but I wasn't in charge that day and the service desk TM left the guest and went to the LOD about it. LOD said no and the guest was PISSED, looking between me and the other TM shaking his head saying "Oh... that's not good. That's not good business at all." All I could think was - no it isn't. lol Of course I didn't say that. Wasn't my call that day but when I get the opportunity to make a guest happy, I'll almost always do it.

Whenever I help out at the front, that's my philosophy as well but I feel like this is generating a giant Target population of entitled guests. And as much I like trying to embody the VIBE, I'm losing my patience for these type of guests. But I'll fake my smile and do as they please because that's what all my higher ups want. I'm just afraid of what will happen once my district decides it wants to start following policy again instead of always vibing it out. We shall see.

Last edited:

Whenever I help out at the front, that's my philosophy as well but I feel like this is generating a giant Target population of entitled guests. And as much I like trying to embody the VIBE, I'm losing my patience for these type of guests. But I'll fake my smile and do as they please because that's what all my higher ups want. I'm just afraid of what will happen once my district decides it wants to start following policy again instead of always vibing it out. We shall see.

I do wish they would make up their damn minds. Between variance from store to store enforcement of policies on returns/coupons/etc and corporate's mood swings - it is difficult to make everyone happy. It's difficult already but they make it even worse with these inconsistencies!

We had a cashier deny coupons, because the guest was doing coupon fraud, and the guest left a horrible survey. Can the TM be coached for denying coupons even though it was fraud?

We are supposed to accept all coupons weather they have the item or not..Sorry GSTL not doin it!! She was trying to rip off the company!! Not happening!!!!!

Odd, we sure aren't. Every time I turn away a major coupon scammer our AP TL comes over and thanks me.

Our biggest issue currently regarding AP though is a series of bounty'ers coming through and hitting us for $500 or so at a time every few months.

We've been instructed to call over the GSTL over the moment we see anyone buying the same items in multiple transactions and to verify the price of each item before finalizing the first purchase to prevent future hits, but the last two times they realized what was up and made the purchases at Electronics and Pharmacy.

Last edited:
First off, hi! Secondly, I'm very surprised at some of the experiences with coupons here, they are nothing compared to what I've dealt with...In my first couple of months as a cashier I had an order over 200 go down to 2 dollars or so, and we HAD to accept it because the guest started to throw a fit. I also get 0 orders every now and then and I hate them with a passion. I've also gotten legit coupons take a 200 dollar order to about 150 or so...I honestly have no idea how they do it, then again my store makes us accept everything and anything even if it makes no sense.

In my first couple of months as a cashier I had an order over 200 go down to 2 dollars or so, and we HAD to accept it because the guest started to throw a fit.

I'd probably get fired if I ever did that. My GSTL and AP-TL much prefer I refuse a guests coupons and have them leave in a huff without buying anything than allow them to commit fraud. Some of the ETL's though just don't want to argue and fight with guests and might say to do it, but even then, I really doubt they would in a scenario that extreme.

In my first couple of months as a cashier I had an order over 200 go down to 2 dollars or so, and we HAD to accept it because the guest started to throw a fit.

I'd probably get fired if I ever did that. My GSTL and AP-TL much prefer I refuse a guests coupons and have them leave in a huff without buying anything than allow them to commit fraud. Some of the ETL's though just don't want to argue and fight with guests and might say to do it, but even then, I really doubt they would in a scenario that extreme.
Yeah unfortunately my store only has 4 GSTL's only one of them cares about the cashiers, one is extremely occupied with All things All guests, using empowerment etc, and then the other 2 are just there to earn their money and go on home, they let everything slide. However, I do enjoy turning down couponers whenever the caring GTSL is on.

Yeah unfortunately my store only has 4 GSTL's only one of them cares about the cashiers, one is extremely occupied with All things All guests, using empowerment etc, and then the other 2 are just there to earn their money and go on home, they let everything slide. However, I do enjoy turning down couponers whenever the caring GTSL is on.

Wait, what? Only four? Are you clumping GSA's and GSTL's together?

We currently have 'one' GSTL. We have several GSA's though, 3 that work most GSA/GSTL shifts in addition to the GSTL, one that works 1-2 GSA shifts per week, and the Starbucks TL who used to be a GSA and might occasionally cover a GSA shift if needed but isn't scheduled them unless someone else requests time off or calls off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back