Archived Wic guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a really great program and I've had nothing but pleasant people use it, I even have one mom who always come through my line to do it. I just wish it wasn't so complex, like maybe put the money on a card or something
They do have WIC cards, but a majority of stores still accept checks. Like I said in my earlier post, I don't mind WIC in and of itself. What I mind is that I always tend to get WIC guests when there are massive lines, which leads to cranks, not understanding why it's taking a bit longer to help the guest.

I also think Target doesnt train well for WIC. My store has had some WIC visits and we have failed for having TMs not understanding how to process them.

I would agree checks are outdated and a debit card like EBT uses makes way more sense. But we shouldnt take that out on the people who use WIC. Sounds like there are administrative issues more than anything else.

I also think Target doesnt train well for WIC. My store has had some WIC visits and we have failed for having TMs not understanding how to process them.

This right here. I remember when I was training, they put me on a register for practice and gave me both types of WIC without showing me how to input them and I was completely lost.

Hate WIC. Wouldn't be so bad if my store wasn't so busy but you get that inevitable guest who picks up an item that isn't WICable. You let them know which one, they insist you send someone to go get it because "that's not their job". However, you look around and you barely have TMs because payroll, so you walkie market and to no surprise, they're dealing with no payroll too so there barely is people there. The guest starts huffing and puffing and giving attitude.

Fun times. WIC is more of a headache than anything. Also I hate hearing "I get this all the time with my WIC checks at the supermarket"

Hate WIC. Wouldn't be so bad if my store wasn't so busy but you get that inevitable guest who picks up an item that isn't WICable. You let them know which one, they insist you send someone to go get it because "that's not their job". However, you look around and you barely have TMs because payroll, so you walkie market and to no surprise, they're dealing with no payroll too so there barely is people there. The guest starts huffing and puffing and giving attitude.

Fun times. WIC is more of a headache than anything. Also I hate hearing "I get this all the time with my WIC checks at the supermarket"
Oh no, they don't.

There's a hand full of items that aren't in the computers. We had an issue with bread 2 summers ago. Once in a blue moon someone will pick something that isn't allowed and they will say oh that's ok and continue on..

I just read earlier in this thread about the fact that you aren't supposed to write "Target" in the "Paid to" box of a WIC check, and it made me so frustrated since a GSTL who first showed me how to process a WIC check told me that I should write "Target" in the "Paid to" box and I realize that I made that mistake and cost my store money. Only when I saw other WIC checks that didn't have "Target" written on them in my register did I ask another GSTL and they told me that I should leave that box blank.

The GSTL who taught me no longer works at my store, but it still makes me think that training/communication isn't the best at Target.

What's the proper thing to do when a guests gets something like a gallon of milk that they allege is marked as wic approved? If it's not working and you verify it, should you just use the option that says make food stampable?

A lot of states nowadays are switching to cards for WIC like SNAP, so it's less for us to deal with, which is good.
I wonder how that will work out.

WIC specifies exactly what types of items and how much you can purchase - e.g., 1 gal skim (not whole!) milk, 48 ounces 100% juice, 36 ounces cereal, etc., and the cheapest brand in all cases. So you can't get Ocean Spray instead of Market Pantry. Or they have a check for a certain value of produce, but the system will not allow organics.

In my experience, SNAP works on any food purchase, including sodas (which personally annoys me but not my decision).

I wonder how that will work out.

WIC specifies exactly what types of items and how much you can purchase - e.g., 1 gal skim (not whole!) milk, 48 ounces 100% juice, 36 ounces cereal, etc., and the cheapest brand in all cases. So you can't get Ocean Spray instead of Market Pantry. Or they have a check for a certain value of produce, but the system will not allow organics.

In my experience, SNAP works on any food purchase, including sodas (which personally annoys me but not my decision).
Basically the card just checks somehow I’m pretty sure.

Basically the card just checks somehow I’m pretty sure.
Yeah the card just automatically knows what is eligible when they swipe it. It print off a verification thing they can check after the WIC card swipe. Then they run their other card for the rest of the transaction.

I guess if they have an issue with what WIC approves then they can return it and/or take it up with WIC. But I’ve bever had to deal with any of this so guess my state has it sorted out!

^This.
Our state has used EBT cards for WIC & SNAP for some years; it WILL flag if something doesn't qualify & that portion of the trans has to be paid for with something else.
Had a cashier termed for overriding pet food for SNAP so yeh, most stores don't play when it comes to SNAP or WIC.

^This.
Our state has used EBT cards for WIC & SNAP for some years; it WILL flag if something doesn't qualify & that portion of the trans has to be paid for with something else.
Had a cashier termed for overriding pet food for SNAP so yeh, most stores don't play when it comes to SNAP or WIC.

Ive overridden for SNAP a couple of times because we had stuff that was "repackaged" that was legitimate food. But thats it.

What do you guys do when your store is legitimately out of stock of a certain WIC-able item? I've had some ETLs tell me that it's a compliance issue to be out of stock and to just requisition a similar item for the guest. Other ETLs tell me that WIC guest are subject to out of stocks just the same as other guests. If we're out, then we're out. They can use their check on the items we do have in stock or they can come back another time.

What do you guys do when your store is legitimately out of stock of a certain WIC-able item? I've had some ETLs tell me that it's a compliance issue to be out of stock and to just requisition a similar item for the guest. Other ETLs tell me that WIC guest are subject to out of stocks just the same as other guests. If we're out, then we're out. They can use their check on the items we do have in stock or they can come back another time.
If we’re out we’re out. Again, DO NOT OVERRIDE.

WIC is a cool concept because unlike with EBT it doesn't allow them to load up baskets of Pizza Rolls, Twinkies, triple-chocolate mousse cheesecakes and 24 packs of Mountain Dew (total: $450.00). The specific selection of bread, milk, eggs and baby formula is a great idea and I think EBT should work the same way. But in practice dealing with WIC at my old job was a nightmare because a lot of stuff that should have been WICable would get rejected, with just about every WIC order I got, even though both the customer and I were convinced that X item should've been accepted. It sucked even more because I was often the only evening cashier and any issue with WIC would cause the already backed up line to get even longer, and a lot of times people would get sick of waiting and walk out in a huff after throwing their items at me. It was so bad that a few times I said "fuck it" and charged it to my own debit card to cover a couple loaves of whole grain wheat bread and cartons of eggs that the register wouldn't take for whatever stupid reason

Not sure how that place managed to stay on the WIC list because orders got fucked up so often. I bet they were easily losing $10,000 in sales every month.

I will say that if a guest gets the wrong item (like wrong brand/wrong item) and you have to cancel the process, there is a point when the WIC card shuts down and there are no funds available...because it isn't an immediate refund back to WIC. I'm sure I'm phrasing it wrong but I've had several guests try to purchase non-WIC items and after they've swiped their WIC card and then see how much they still owe, they freak and want to start over with the correct items. After a few attempts, the WIC card says there is no $ left. So then the guest has to take it up with WIC since it's not a Target issue.

Always be clear with guests that WIC items will be marked as such in grocery.

Last edited:
I will say that if a guest gets the wrong item (like wrong brand/wrong item) and you have to cancel the process, there is a point when the WIC card shuts down and there are no funds available...because it isn't an immediate refund back to WIC. I'm sure I'm phrasing it wrong but I've had several guests try to purchase non-WIC items and after they've swiped their WIC card and then see how much they still owe, they freak and want to start over with the correct items. After a few attempts, the WIC card says there is no $ left. So then the guest has to take it up with WIC since it's not a Target issue.

Always be clear with guests that WIC items will be marked as such in grocery.

In that case (that the non-WIC items are surprisingly more than they expected), can’t you still just remove those items without voiding or doing anything to the WIC payment? Like $25 of stuff and they expect $20 of it to come up as WIC, only $18 does, then I’m pretty sure I can just remove that one item that they picked that wasn’t the right thing. Then let them pay for their other non-wic item.
I think if you void the whole thing out instead it might fuck up their WIC balances so be careful with that.

(Nodding aggressively)

My old etl ge put a gstl on a CA for our 3rd WIC violation. Cost that store the ability to accept WIC which is a very expensive mistake
I'm still not sure how the ctl and etl-hl didn't get fired for us losing WIC. It took 8yrs to get it and less than one to lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back