Archived Woman Gets "Box of Rocks" when buying Dyson Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOUSTON — A Texas woman who thought she was purchasing a $300 Dyson vacuum cleaner at Target on Sunday found rocks and a can of chili in the box, according to KTRK.

Annie Banerjee opened the box when she got home and found towels, a can of chili and several rocks inside the box. When she returned to the store later that day, the manager said there was nothing they could do.

Banerjee told KTRK a store employee called police and told officers a “Hispanic woman” was trespassing.

Target issued a statement says the company will be refunding Banerjee’s full purchase price and giving her a free vacuum.

“At Target, we want our guests to feel welcome and respected whenever they shop in our stores. We regret the experience that Ms. Banerjee had in our Houston Galleria store on Sunday and have reached out to her to apologize. We will be refunding Ms. Banerjee’s money and providing her a new Dyson vacuum at Target’s expense. We’ve also addressed the situation with the team members who were involved and will use this as a learning opportunity for our team.”

What do you guys think of this?

Source: Woman Buys Dyson Vacuum Cleaner at Target, Gets a Box of Rocks and Chili

One of two things. Either someone is a fucking ninja and somehow managed to do that without it being seen on cameras. Or she's just bullshitting to get a free vacuum. Maybe I should do that to get a free switch. :cool:

My question is how did the guest service attendant never actually check to make sure it's in there

Sorry, i don't work GS, are you suppose to preserve packaging if it looks original? Or preserve it anyways?

You should always look inside IMO. It's possible to seal packaging or make it look new.

It's LISA. Look inside always, not sometimes.

My question is how did the guest service attendant never actually check to make sure it's in there

Sorry, i don't work GS, are you suppose to preserve packaging if it looks original? Or preserve it anyways?

If it appears to be unopened, we don't break the seal to open it. People are scammers. It's common to do this with big ticket items. It happens everywhere. They are experts at making it look factory sealed.

You should always look inside IMO. It's possible to seal packaging or make it look new.

It's LISA. Look inside always, not sometimes.

when the Dyson was returned in the first place the TM at GS should have checked the box......however, since it wasn't done at the time of return, (the first time) why would a cashier even think of opening up a box that the guest was buying? The assumption would be that if it is a Dyson box and it was sealed....then it should have been a Dyson and no need to open the box up.

As has been said GS will check the box if it's opened but if it looks factory sealed we won't open it.

The real mistake is honestly the manager should have just done an even exchange when she came back. I don't think the woman who bought the item was the scammer

If it's over 50 bucks I open the box. I don't care if they say they never opened it or if it looks perfectly sealed, people can use packing tape or glue to make boxes look good.
I also compare the serial number on the product to the one on the box.
Jesus, we've had emails about this, brick box returns, guest services should freaking be checking!

In this case though, it could have been a scam. She could have bought it and put the rocks in there herself. We'll never know.

No-win situation.
Even if the video shows the woman buying the vac & taking it home, did she open it up & discover the scam or did she herself stuff the box & bring it back?
If she was simply requesting an exchange, would she then take the 'new' one to another store for a full refund since she had the one at home or was she honestly just trying to get the vacuum she paid for?

That's right. Because he couldn't figure out if the conception happened while he was away at that store remodel or right after he got back.

If a guest attempts to return a big ticket item, you should always examine the seals and contents (if opened).

If anything, the ETL and AP should have taken over the situation. ETL and AP should determine if it was legit and provided a even exchange, or a case of return fraud.

High ticket or locked items should have some type of return approval process or track ID.

As has been said GS will check the box if it's opened but if it looks factory sealed we won't open it.

The real mistake is honestly the manager should have just done an even exchange when she came back. I don't think the woman who bought the item was the scammer

Even if its factory sealed we open it. Had a guest manage to open a printer switch the old one and tape it back up. Looked legit. We were told not to trust anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back