Archived Your thoughts on a milk pallet

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are not allowed to use electric pallets on the sales floor due to team members mis using them and it messes up tile on the floor.

We get big milk shipments on certain days.

I'm only 105 lbs short/petite female. The big milk pallet is well over 800 lbs.

if the milk pallet is hard to pull with a regular pallet jack, what are your thoughts on someone helping me just get it to my work area?

I asked for help one time because i was straining my arms it was so heavy!

the kid said no his manager yells at him for helping me!

How does everyones store work with this? isn't there supposed to be 2 people working on this, unless it's a small pallet as well?

I did the math, each gallon of milk weights 8 lbs, there is 4 in each case, so each crate weighs 32 lbs.
So if you have 40 crates on a pallet, 32x40=1280 lbs

I honestly had a similar conversation with both the Etl LOG and numerous others as to the usage of an electric power jack and using it to move heavy pallets onto the sales floor. Honestly you should be having help with milk pallets as it is understood that those, (Water pallets as well) way ALOT! If by chance you are by yourself, trained on How to use an electric jack, and no customers are in the store yet, I for one will be using that bad boy. Problem with people who use it on the sales floor 1) Are improperly/never trained on how to use the electric jack. 2) are very wreckless and careless and just might hurt someone while using the jack and do more damage than good. My argument was always that if the WAVE is permitted on the salesfloor, (Which weighs more than the electric jack mind you) why is it not allowed?

In our store, our backroom is right next to our milk cooler, so when the delivery comes, we get the milk guy to drop off the pallet right in front of the milk. I would see if that's an option for you.

I honestly had a similar conversation with both the Etl LOG and numerous others as to the usage of an electric power jack and using it to move heavy pallets onto the sales floor. Honestly you should be having help with milk pallets as it is understood that those, (Water pallets as well) way ALOT! If by chance you are by yourself, trained on How to use an electric jack, and no customers are in the store yet, I for one will be using that bad boy. Problem with people who use it on the sales floor 1) Are improperly/never trained on how to use the electric jack. 2) are very wreckless and careless and just might hurt someone while using the jack and do more damage than good. My argument was always that if the WAVE is permitted on the salesfloor, (Which weighs more than the electric jack mind you) why is it not allowed?

Damn. The next time my PMT bitches about the pallet jack on the floor, I'm gonna tell him this. Never thought of it.

Reactions: Him
Damn. The next time my PMT bitches about the pallet jack on the floor, I'm gonna tell him this. Never thought of it.
Yeah I had the conversation with him as well. He too used the WAVE on the Salesfloor with ETL AP. (They do maintenance on the cameras and other ceiling areas of the store. That's why I had to call Bullshit on that so called "rule"

Yeah I had the conversation with him as well. He too used the WAVE on the Salesfloor with ETL AP. (They do maintenance on the cameras and other ceiling areas of the store. That's why I had to call Bullshit on that so called "rule"
Not really a BS rule. Power equipment isn't supposed to be on the floor during normal store hours. Your ETL AP should know it's discouraged (and silly) to do camera maintenance during that time as well.

I use the electric pallet jack on the floor. That shouldn't break any tiles, but the stacker might.

I did the math, each gallon of milk weights 8 lbs, there is 4 in each case, so each crate weighs 32 lbs.
So if you have 40 crates on a pallet, 32x40=1280 lbs
Even more when you include the weight of the crates too. Much less but still adds up for 40 crates.

we are not allowed to use electric pallets on the sales floor due to team members mis using them and it messes up tile on the floor.
I use the electric pallet jack on the floor. That shouldn't break any tiles, but the stacker might.

For us, the issue isn't breaking tiles but running lines through them/the wax on the floor when a pallet isn't balanced properly. On a regular pallet jack you're more apt to notice it being sideways and dragging on the floor than if it's powered - you won't notice extra drag.

Most of our consumables TMs just write down what they need, then load it up on a flat from inside the cooler. They take multiple trips if needed.

How is pulling that pallet of milk sny different from an item needing a Team Lift? If you are straining that much to move it you are probably going to pull a muscle. At my store that pallet has two TMs moving it, one in the front pulling it and one in the back pushing it. Also, at my store, if another TM saw you struggling with it, they would just jump in to help and no ETL or TL would have a problem with it. In fact, management would probably be the ones jumping in on their own. At least in this case, it sounds like your store has a horrible culture.

Target needs to get with it and get RID of the tile! Its tacky and not practical. Stained concrete is the way to go. As a shopper i dont like white tile department stores.

Me neither, but I hate concrete too. Tacky. We're not a warehouse. I would like to see a faux wood floor.
Parterre%20Supermarket%20Flooring.jpg

at my store our cooler is more or less in our backroom, so the milk man just drops all of our pallets off and we have to break them down. I was actually thinking about making a topic about milk pallets after today... I struggled slightly today as well, but only with breaking them down. Milk pallets are a special case, other pallets are no problem at all. Breaking them down etc but with milk it's just like "ughhh milk delivery" other than "YAYY milk delivery!"

I'm not sure what the rules are on this, to be honest. Our milkman not only brings in his pallets, he takes them to the dairy cooler and stages them himself. He grabs his empties, wraps them, and puts them on his truck. We never touch the pallets apart from when consumables team feels the need to stock the milk every few days.

Call and ask over the walkie for help moving the pallet. If you get no response ask for the LOD and say you need assistance moving the pallet. If it is too heavy for you to move on your own, do not move it. You should never, ever strain your body. Its all about safety. If you get no help after asking, call the hotline.

some targets need to get with the program and make it so that we can stock it from the cooler instead of bringing it out to the floor. it'll also make it easier to fifo

I'm not sure what the rules are on this, to be honest. Our milkman not only brings in his pallets, he takes them to the dairy cooler and stages them himself. He grabs his empties, wraps them, and puts them on his truck. We never touch the pallets apart from when consumables team feels the need to stock the milk every few days.
Same here. Sometimes he'll get some help with the empties or they need to borrow some wrap but usually I let them in and they do their thing. Market team usually takes a flatbed of crates out at first then when the pallet's mostly gone maybe takes the whole thing out to the floor.

I miss when they used to use rolling racks.

some targets need to get with the program and make it so that we can stock it from the cooler instead of bringing it out to the floor. it'll also make it easier to fifo
That's not really possible at some stores that have no stockroom behind their dairy coolers. A lot of older stores don't have it.

@Target NPC that is a good idea but they're always up our asses about scuffing up the tile yet logistics process HAS to bring pallets to the floor. I think thats a big reason why some department stores have transitioned to concrete. The local kroger is beautiful to shop in and the color of the floor makes shopping relaxing.

@Target NPC that is a good idea but they're always up our asses about scuffing up the tile yet logistics process HAS to bring pallets to the floor. I think thats a big reason why some department stores have transitioned to concrete. The local kroger is beautiful to shop in and the color of the floor makes shopping relaxing.

Kay....still tacky. Unless you got those faux wood floors, made of concrete. Those are pretty sweet. Target totally has the budget for this, right? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back