MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I got my review few days ago but I haven’t even been told what areas for GM I’m primarily responsible for. As far as right now it just seems I’m responsible for the every single part of “hardlines”.

I honestly don’t understand the numbers beside the GM title people keep posting? GM1? GM2? Which is what and where did these numbers come from?

When we had our leadership meeting those numbers were never brought up. The only thing got told at our store was one GM was responsible only for Transitions, the other would oversee flex and support me when necessary with workload and that I’m literally all the salesfloor.

I’m not a low volume store either. So yay more pressure for me.

Fact check: Partially true; you need both a myDevice and TL/ETL/STL/AP/PMT keying. They don't allow the plebeians to see payroll numbers because it might cause a bread riot 👍
not completely true. i was able to log on and see hours for all areas under the app. im a TM but also it takes a bit of "digging" to get the info. i dont think i can filter out to get just truck hours.

I got my review few days ago but I haven’t even been told what areas for GM I’m primarily responsible for. As far as right now it just seems I’m responsible for the every single part of “hardlines”.

I honestly don’t understand the numbers beside the GM title people keep posting? GM1? GM2? Which is what and where did these numbers come from?

When we had our leadership meeting those numbers were never brought up. The only thing got told at our store was one GM was responsible only for Transitions, the other would oversee flex and support me when necessary with workload and that I’m literally all the salesfloor.

I’m not a low volume store either. So yay more pressure tfor me.
Pretty sure the numbers are just to keep track of who’s who. GM1 might do something different than GM1 at another store. We have GM4 as well, and a food and bev TL and a food service TL

I’m not a low volume store either. So yay more pressure for me.
Do the ones over transitions and flex not own areas as well, because they are supposed to have salesfloor areas as well.

Do the ones over transitions and flex not own areas as well, because they are supposed to have salesfloor areas as well.

When I first started I owned specific departments. Now that we have new ETLs things are changing.

As far as what my Store Director discussed in our meeting, was not the case. Whether that changes later in May is a different story. But as far as what was mentioned, one GMTL owns all major transitions and that GMTL with their team (old Plano TMs) will also take care of side caps additionally. No area of ownership discussed.

The other GMTL who was a former Backroom TL if I remember correctly is overseeing flex and inbound. Will support me in sales planner, revision, and price accuracy workload as needed. No areas of ownership discussed.

And me, they literally said I’m responsible for the entire hardlines salesfloor. I’m responsible for all sales planners, revisions and price accuracy.

That’s all that was said in the meeting.
I know we had another BR TL but they were on vaca during the meeting but that person was never brought up so I wasn’t sure if they are getting switched to GMTL or another role.

So I don’t know. As far as I know I own everything...which is overwhelming honestly. I plan to talk to our director again but I know our director said they’ll discuss more in May. So I honestly hope they will split the floor up with another person, we shall see.

Last edited:
When I first started I owned specific departments. Now that we have new ETLs things are changing.

As far as what my Store Director discussed in our meeting, was not the case. Whether that changes later in May is a different story. But as far as what was mentioned, one GMTL owns all major transitions and that GMTL with their team (old Plano TMs) will also take care of side caps additionally. No area of ownership discussed.

The other GMTL who was a former Backroom TL if I remember correctly is overseeing flex and inbound. Will support me in sales planner, revision, and price accuracy workload as needed. No areas of ownership discussed.

And me, they literally said I’m responsible for the entire hardlines salesfloor. I’m responsible for all sales planners, revisions and price accuracy.

That’s all that was said in the meeting.
I know we had another BR TL but they were on vaca during the meeting but that person was never brought up so I wasn’t sure if they are getting switched to GMTL or another role.

So I don’t know as far as I know I own everything...which is overwhelming honestly. I plan to talk to our director again but I know our director said they’ll discuss more in May. So I honestly hope they will split the floor up with another person, we shall see.
Someone posted pages from the guide that shows every team lead owning areas in addition to other duties.

I'd be stressed too if I was supposed to own all the areas in a non low volume store.

Someone posted pages from the guide that shows every team lead owning areas in addition to other duties.

I'd be stressed too if I was supposed to own all the areas in a non low volume store.

Yea I took a picture of whoever posted it and kept it saved on my phone. Idk if I’m going to bring it to their attention or how I should go about it just yet. Was planning to discuss it before they fully key us in the system for the new roles.

Fact check: Partially true; you need both a myDevice and TL/ETL/STL/AP/PMT keying. They don't allow the plebeians to see payroll numbers because it might cause a bread riot 👍
I was able to view it by logging into mpm, then searching for my store’s number. I only saw it after I’d searched another store and then had to figure out how to get back to my store’s info.

Totally agree. This whole thing has been dirty. The only ones who love this is the ones who haven't seen their position go away.
I love how you mention the brand tm's. They built that position up with lots of hoopla like they did GSA as the next big thing, it was a type of promotion. The brand tm's at my store are reeling now from being lumped in with those just hired yesterday in A&A. They feel like they got a demotion for no reason. They were once guaranteed around 40 hrs and now they get 30 if they are lucky. I am guessing the GSA's will feel the same when the bomb drops on them.
Dirty Dirty Dirty. Firing good people all in the name of profit.
Yeah and the frustrating part was that supposedly the position was eliminated because everyone was going to be trained on how to do POGs and adjacencies, which still hasn’t happened.

Me and other *old brand TMs are always getting pulled from our zones even after they started having us own certain zones into other ones to do their POGs, even semi easy things like setting basics.

I seriously want no part in setting all of apparel POGs I just want to do the ones in my zone like I was promised would happen. 😂

Last edited:
ok trolling facebook community page again ..

this time a video was posted all i can say is W-O-W !!~!

That's crazy.
I was thinking how much that looked like the floor right about 7:30.
Any minute the ETL LOG would bed yelling at us to get it all put back so the everything would be clear by 8:00 when the doors opened.
There would be this massive game of Tetris going on the back room as every member of flow and back room teams jammed it all all in place, somehow.
The idea that any of that would be left out was totally unacceptable.
Spot, your brand really has changed.

That's crazy.
I was thinking how much that looked like the floor right about 7:30.
Any minute the ETL LOG would bed yelling at us to get it all put back so the everything would be clear by 8:00 when the doors opened.
There would be this massive game of Tetris going on the back room as every member of flow and back room teams jammed it all all in place, somehow.
The idea that any of that would be left out was totally unacceptable.
Spot, your brand really has changed.
Yea I've seen my store look like this before, but it was 100% closed lmao. Moment the doors opened it was one vehicle per person, and you should be in the vicinity of said vehicle.

Yea I've seen my store look like this before, but it was 100% closed lmao. Moment the doors opened it was one vehicle per person, and you should be in the vicinity of said vehicle.
Pretty sure our DTL would fire every one if our store looked that way. I got coached for having 4 uboats in mini seasonal as the store was opening

The saying used to be “great by 8(am)”.
There’s no bonus for cutting payroll. There’s a bonus for MEETING allocated payroll.

Simply put, 99% I guarantee your store is overspent on payroll and I’m 99% certain all those hours are consumed by your truck. So what happens usually by the end of the month they start cutting back to meet payroll hours, not cut it below.
Most retail stores I know overspend payroll on truck, and Target seems to be no different. For example, this April we were 700 hours over on payroll so they start making cuts this week and next week to be where we should be. I think stores usually blow their months payroll early in the month.

And the payroll hours aren’t some big secret...it’s all available for anyone with a mydevice. Just go in the MPM2.0 app and go to payroll hours. You can view by store overall, department, etc and see where your store stands with payroll.

That's some poor planning if most retail stores you know overspend on truck. Why not just allocate what it's actually going to take? Why play this game? I don't plan my household budget like that. I don't say .... well, I'm only going to budget 1/2 of what I think my gas will cost this month. That's stupid.

That's some poor planning if most retail stores you know overspend on truck. Why not just allocate what it's actually going to take? Why play this game? I don't plan my household budget like that. I don't say .... well, I'm only going to budget 1/2 of what I think my gas will cost this month. That's stupid.

Lol I agree. I don’t know if it’s a lack of not figuring it out on a corporate level or just simply not caring enough to supply the stores with a realistic payroll that makes sense. I still feel the payroll that I’m given to schedule my team is a struggle but I make do with what I’m given.

Lol I agree. I don’t know if it’s a lack of not figuring it out on a corporate level or just simply not caring enough to supply the stores with a realistic payroll that makes sense. I still feel the payroll that I’m given to schedule my team is a struggle but I make do with what I’m given.

That's all you can do Major. My favorite lines of this whole modernization journey are ..... we/I don't know and figure it out yourself. But when I figure it out myself and make that decision, I get told it was the wrong decision.

Just had my modernization one on one. I’m supposed to have at least 3 cashiers trained to do the job of GSA before the next schedule. I’m not supposed to explain anything to the GSAs until we start reviews. (Whenever that is) I thought what they did to the soft line brand TMs was dirty, but this is even worse.
I’ve got some great cashiers that are reliable and great with guests but they won’t make it in the quazi GSA role. We’re just going to throw them away. I’m physically sick thinking about it. Sorry. I just hate this.
I think the change makes sense. Since I started at Target the GSA position has been mostly a problem for the company. I'd say 80% of employee problems involve that position. It's just not a good model.

This strategy makes more sense.

Yeah it sucks when you get more responsibility and better hours just for it to be taken away, being treated and paid like a regular TM only to start getting taken advantage of by leadership.

The first commenter on the post could not have said it better...
I've been training cashiers and getting more hours without being a GSA.

Being reliable counts for more, I think.

Can DTLs fire vendors too? Apparently this Coke vendor said “F this. No room to move in the back room, so I’ll just leave my pallets in MMB”. In their defense, this was the only aisle left that wasn’t already blocked w flatsView attachment 7782
I would have done the same. What was the vendor supposed to do? Try and move everything around and out of the way?

My STL kindly told me that part of the new process is, instead of parking my uboat somewhere out of the way at the end of the aisle I'm working on, opening ten thousand things in plastic and putting them in a small repack, and then taking that small repack with me into the aisle to stock, I should have the uboat by my side, blocking half the aisle while I sort through every repack because zone 2 covers 18 different aisles at my store and nothing is super sorted. How is that better than my method?? Ugh.

My STL kindly told me that part of the new process is, instead of parking my uboat somewhere out of the way at the end of the aisle I'm working on, opening ten thousand things in plastic and putting them in a small repack, and then taking that small repack with me into the aisle to stock, I should have the uboat by my side, blocking half the aisle while I sort through every repack because zone 2 covers 18 different aisles at my store and nothing is super sorted. How is that better than my method?? Ugh.

I don't understand that myself. In Friday, another transition tm and were told to push the domestic uboats from Wednesday. This covered all of c, d, and part of b blocks. I'm not pulling that around with me when it's not even sorted.

Back