MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
If they try to make me the Monday-Friday closer, I’d have to decide if all weekends off is worth constantly closing.

My instinct says ‘quit’ but the more I think about it...

This I like. Toys is actually one of the last departments to not to have a “blowout” remodel and honestly it seems like a perfect candidate (Kids like seeing stuff in action). I would love to see this.

There's a pilot for a toys remodel that I found on Workbench. Looks a lot like the Home remodel with the tables, etc.

I honestly bet the pilot gets killed and it doesn't roll out company wide

If it truly is a pilot, this should be possible. Pilot implies you're testing something to see if it will be feasible at all. Beta is what you do when you've decided to do the thing, but you need to work the bugs out first.

This sounds more like a beta, from the original post, but one can only hope they actually mean it when they say it's a pilot.

A store near me is in the middle of a full remodel. They've got one table in Toys so far, for Our Generation doll accessories, but it's also apparent that they really haven't gotten to Toys yet. I think the one table is because of a recent event, because there were also stacks of OG bookmarks on the table.

So instead of having a centralized pog and price team it’s even more scattered. It’s been a year since Softlines started to take care of thier own stuff and it just doesn’t get done. Task teams are way easier to organize and have a better chance of being held accountable. Plus to be honest most guests in my store don’t want to see tasks being done. They want to walk around and shop with their kids and a starbucks. They want to get out of the house and have a nice experience. If they just wanted to buy stuff they could order online.

I bet this is why all the leads have been locked up in 2 hour meetings every god damn day for the last week.

I've been hesitant to fill out some job apps and make plans to move on because sunk-cost fallacy, but it's beginning to look like a better and better idea. But then again wherever I end up may be in the midst of rolling out its own version of this cancer so maybe it's a wash
Nah. Probably discussing review scores for team members.

IT is absolutely impossible to sort the freight onto pallets by isle at the dc this will never Be a reality,
When had that stopped Spot from mandating it?

Actually I get it but the DC needs a better process so if spot insists on color coded boxes they are filled with random departments.

We have one repack sorted for the crap ones, but HBA and Domestics/Beds are sorted well enough that you can just grab a cart and work right out of the boxes
The problem isnt HBA and Domestics/Beds. Its office/housewares, pets, chemicals mixed randomly. Also electronics/sporting goods. And yes. I want per aisle. The computer system knows what aislie it goes. There is no excuse for the person at the dc manually tossing it into to not.

Is there any word on if this will have an affect on receiving?
I would guess you kill it and ask the "backroom lead" to take care of it as they're unloading the truck and letting people in the morning anyways.

also all 10 org charts are gone, we now have 3 operation models. Low, Base, and high. Base will be 60% of the company.
That seems quite inadequate to properly define a store, one size fits all means some stores with more resources than they should really have vs stores scraping by.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting because years ago with e2e i would have guessed one of the goals would have been with these more "focused/specialized" teams stocking one section of the store, we could use well trained employees to flex out more product and minimize what we carry in the backroom, and dive deeper into a lean/just in time fulfillment. You can also completely minimize what stays in the back though the use of fast rolling racks and adding a shelves at the very top of all aisles, a self just for fast moving items or what would have been backstock. You can't sell from the backroom, grocery stores understand that because their margins are paper thin.

With that i would have guessed Target's big move for relevance would have been to utilized that hypothetical expanded that space form the backroom. They'd probably use it to make all stores into enhanced ship to/from store. This allows them to minimize speedy shipping cost. Shipping something 2 day or even 3-5 day is dramatically reduced when you ship it from the same area. This is in part how amazon gives away 2 day shipping with prime subs, because they have distros all over the place, meaning most things that qualify for prime are in your area. This would expand Target's footprint as an e-tailer, an area of good potential growth.

Of course the downfall of such a plan is a current problem with target, their supply chain and logistics is already full of holes.

This shipt stuff seems to be in line though with that same weird stuff with curb side delivery. As in target is trying to get a market in niche service.

Biggest cultural change is all titles have had “team” removed from them. It’s now directors, leaders, leads and depending what silo you fall under advocate, consultants and experts.

Biggest operational change is everything. First thing we were told is don’t compare new positions and titles to existing ones. These are completely new positions that will look and feel very different than existing operational models. Basically the 26 districts pioloting this are writing the book on how it looks when rolled out company wide. It’s actually pretty exciting.
No it really isn't. Its going to be a insane event if they dont get it right.

I feel as if there will still be cross trained TM's. The "expert" title is to just look good in front of the guests (I think). Does food expert sound better to you as a guest than food team member?
No. Most still see us as employee.

So where would the Starbucks/food avenue team lead fit in? What position would they have we are also doing the base operation model..

OK....now I'm seeing things going on in my store that "leads" me to believe that we are a pilot store.
A few weeks ago they started posting "GO" sheets. TMs have to write about what products they've talked about with guests and how much product they are responsible for selling.
Today I saw some name tags that are in clear plastic pouches with Red cords on them and the tags inside the pouches says things like "food expert" and "----- expert."

My STL and HR-ETL have been missing time in our store for the last several weeks......and now our GSTL has been out for three days in a row. I'm also remembering that our Sr. Team Leads have had to go for training.

In our "beauty" department they've started having a small display table to show samples and tell guests about our products. (Looks like we're becoming more like Macy's!)

Just a little while ago, I came to the same conclusion about the $15.00 pay rate by 2020.....making everyone into "experts" with fancy titles and specific department jobs....and less cross training. For if this pilot program is supposed to be out by Q2 of 2019.....then the 2020 $15.00 rate falls into place.

Looks like it is going to be quite interesting at Spot now!!

Last edited:
OK......now things are really beginning to fall in place. The store remodels that are coming out with the new colors (the black & white signs) and the new lower shelving in the 'health and beauty" area is a whole new look.....fancier.

The twenty something stores closing in Minnesota are all probably among the oldest stores and not worth going through another remodel or updated look.....why else would Target close so many stores near their headquarters...

Target is now on a new trajectory and will be more like Macy's, KOHLs and Dillards.......now how they expect to get toys and the groceries to be more "upscale" I do not know....maybe we'll have only "personal shoppers" in those areas.....and then the in-store pick-up will become more of a "delivery" pick-up while guests just stopping at the front entrance doors for their items.

You can also completely minimize what stays in the back though the use of fast rolling racks and adding a shelves at the very top of all aisles, a shelf just for fast moving items or what would have been backstock.

Some higher volume stores have these and they are called risers. They aren't exactly the Target brand though which is why they are only used in high volume stores or during special events.

Back