MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'd do it for half that.
drinkbeer.gif

Our STL has always been hands on. He pushes, pulls, zones, and one time he was backing up on a register and when he was done went right out to get carts.

There's an opening at the number one store in our district, so many of the store leads will probably be moved around. Our STL has been here long enough that it's about time he was cycled out. :(

Last edited:
Our STL has always been hands on. He pushes, pulls, zones, and one time he was backing up on a register and when he was done went right out to get carts.

There's an opening at the number one store in our distric,t so many of the store leads will probably be moved around. Our STLhas been here long enough that it's about time he was cycled out. :(

My old STL did everything. Backstocked in the main freezer for a few hours once. Carts, throw the truck... you name it. His replacement is an office gopher.

STL types:

- the "jack of all trades" knows how to do everything and does everything, seeming to enjoy it. Rolls up their sleeves and pushes, pulls, throws, climbs ladders, chases shoplifters with AP, calls and interviews people, leads or at least sits in on orientation, etc. etc. etc. etc.

- the "douche of all trades" knows how to do everything but only does it because they feel obligated to, and makes their distaste for doing lowly prole work well known, cracks open boxes gingerly as if a snake is going to pop out. Always wears a "I'd rather be back in my office doing real job stuff" sneer. Chances of having previously worked as an IT drone: 100.00%

- the "Target NPC" can be seen standing around at random locations around the salesfloor, usually spawns by the racetrack waiting for players to approach and accept his quests. Doesn't seem to do much else and only has a few lines of dialogue.

- the "disembodied voice behind a permanently closed office door" has never been seen by anyone and thus nobody knows what he looks like, due to spending 100% of his time locked up in his office. Unlike the store's main doors which are rapidly revolving at all times, this door is unique in that it never, ever opens and may in fact be screwed/nailed shut from the inside.

- the "hipster Hitler" looks like a soft soy-infused nu-male from a distance with his disarming hipster beard and hip sleeve tats, until you talk to him and your ass is literally chewed, down to the bone, which you weren't expecting because he looks like a vegan.

- the "tatted fuckboy" is a late-20s frat bro who has boned every girl in the store under 25, possibly at once. If you try talking to him about anything he tends to zone out unless you've got tits, in which case they will have his undivided attention.

STL types:

- the "jack of all trades" knows how to do everything and does everything, seeming to enjoy it. Rolls up their sleeves and pushes, pulls, throws, climbs ladders, chases shoplifters with AP, calls and interviews people, leads or at least sits in on orientation, etc. etc. etc. etc.

- the "douche of all trades" knows how to do everything but only does it because they feel obligated to, and makes their distaste for doing lowly prole work well known, cracks open boxes gingerly as if a snake is going to pop out. Always wears a "I'd rather be back in my office doing real job stuff" sneer. Chances of having previously worked as an IT drone: 100.00%

- the "Target NPC" can be seen standing around at random locations around the salesfloor, usually spawns by the racetrack waiting for players to approach and accept his quests. Doesn't seem to do much else and only has a few lines of dialogue.

- the "disembodied voice behind a permanently closed office door" has never been seen by anyone and thus nobody knows what he looks like, due to spending 100% of his time locked up in his office. Unlike the store's main doors which are rapidly revolving at all times, this door is unique in that it never, ever opens and may in fact be screwed/nailed shut from the inside.

- the "hipster Hitler" looks like a soft soy-infused nu-male from a distance with his disarming hipster beard and hip sleeve tats, until you talk to him and your ass is literally chewed, down to the bone, which you weren't expecting because he looks like a vegan.

- the "tatted fuckboy" is a late-20s frat bro who has boned every girl in the store under 25, possibly at once. If you try talking to him about anything he tends to zone out unless you've got tits, in which case they will have his undivided attention.

I quote cause I can't like it twice. And thanks for the laugh today this just to damn true... :)

STL types:

This is totally inaccurate. All the ETLs are like this too. ;)

One major new trend I see with this pilot.

Most Guests are telling me, "Sorry", for shopping, in an aisle, I am pushing, or interacting with another guest. This interaction (of "Sorry) happens when we make IMMEDIATE eye contact with one another.
My opinion on this whole "Guest First; A Manifesto"

Seeing a guest feel guilty for "being in the way" (You can tell they do), as they say sorry, i'll go around' makes me second guess this whole initiative.

If this is rolled out, company wide in 2019, I honestly could see it being "Cornell's Canada"(brought to you with CC). Instead however, Cornell had everything he could possibly need, Instead he took a big stinking shit on it, In favor of new titles for all.

So we did the same amount in sales on Monday as we did on Sunday. Must be the sales on Monday cause I worked and pushed for 2 hours out of the produce cooler, 1 hour on banana pushed 10 boxes of bananas, 1 hour pushing fresh meat and 1 hour pushing vendor milk.

Last edited:
So is it uniform company expectation now that all Leads become key holders? This pilot hasn't reached my district in CA.

It’s up to the store director if he/she wants to add more key carriers. I’ve been given an upgrade to my keys (I was replenishment lead) but other leads have not been given keys.

One major new trend I see with this pilot.

Most Guests are telling me, "Sorry", for shopping, in an aisle, I am pushing, or interacting with another guest. This interaction (of "Sorry) happens when we make IMMEDIATE eye contact with one another.
My opinion on this whole "Guest First; A Manifesto"

Seeing a guest feel guilty for "being in the way" (You can tell they do), as they say sorry, i'll go around' makes me second guess this whole initiative.

If this is rolled out, company wide in 2019, I honestly could see it being "Cornell's Canada"(brought to you with CC). Instead however, Cornell had everything he could possibly need, Instead he took a big stinking shit on it, In favor of new titles for all.

At our store the guest feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. We are getting so many more guests stopping leaders and letting them know they appreciate all the help. Our survey’s also are trending much better. This month so far we have a 100% survey score.

At our store the guest feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. We are getting so many more guests stopping leaders and letting them know they appreciate all the help. Our survey’s also are trending much better. This month so far we have a 100% survey score.

I find this interesting as ours is completely opposite. Not only hqve we had 3 in store complaints about how trashed the store is. But we have had 2 corporate calls that Inknow of that have had our dtl in store again all week. Even my relatives co workers at another company are asking them about why my store has suddenly turned into a poorly run thrift store. Our store is super small but the bigger stores in our district dont look anything like ours.

I voted yes, only to stand back n watch em try to figure this out, they can't even agree on where to go for lunch.
I've been out of the loop for a year or so, banished to the E2E section of the cooler n freezer. Now attempting to accomplish 40 hours of work, in a 35 hour week.
Was recently informed of this mega thread, like a day or so ago...can't read the whole thing in just a couple hours.

Yesterday Consumables ETL informs me, last minute b4 he leaves,,corporate, district, etc will be in market,,ya know, to show us the modern process of how to get er done. Just say yes, do it their way, even if it makes no sense, with a positive smile on your face.
I'm going to practice some,,,
Target Behaviors
Be accountable,,,,I'll own my actions and help others develop.
Be bold...I'll act fearlessly to create a sense of urgency.
Be curious...as I imagine the future, while I CHALLENGE the status quo.
Be one team...be open to diverse expertise and approaches,,,,
As they deal with me calling out today....
Good-Luck Bam Bam!

So we did the same amount in sales on Monday. As we did on Monday. Must be the sales on Monday cause I worked and pushed for 2 hours out of the produce cooler, 1 hour on banana pushed 10 boxes of bananas, 1 hour pushing fresh meat and 1 hour pushing vendor milk.
Our vendors push their own milk. So Asants?

I find this interesting as ours is completely opposite. Not only hqve we had 3 in store complaints about how trashed the store is. But we have had 2 corporate calls that Inknow of that have had our dtl in store again all week. Even my relatives co workers at another company are asking them about why my store has suddenly turned into a poorly run thrift store. Our store is super small but the bigger stores in our district dont look anything like ours.
Hmmm...poorly run thrift store? So they are accusing you of being Ross or is it Dollar General?

I voted yes, only to stand back n watch em try to figure this out, they can't even agree on where to go for lunch.
I've been out of the loop for a year or so, banished to the E2E section of the cooler n freezer. Now attempting to accomplish 40 hours of work, in a 35 hour week.
Was recently informed of this mega thread, like a day or so ago...can't read the whole thing in just a couple hours.

Yesterday Consumables ETL informs me, last minute b4 he leaves,,corporate, district, etc will be in market,,ya know, to show us the modern process of how to get er done. Just say yes, do it their way, even if it makes no sense, with a positive smile on your face.
I'm going to practice some,,,
Target Behaviors
Be accountable,,,,I'll own my actions and help others develop.
Be bold...I'll act fearlessly to create a sense of urgency.
Be curious...as I imagine the future, while I CHALLENGE the status quo.
Be one team...be open to diverse expertise and approaches,,,,
As they deal with me calling out today....
Good-Luck Bam Bam!

Good luck, Godspeed and may spot be mauling someone else that day. The megathread is basically the overflow of the e2e thread dealing with the insanity that E2E became when you toss in Title changes and other things. If you have specific questions about e2e or other things (Far too close to Richmond Tx so we get too many spot visits now) shoot me a pm.

Where can I get more info on the Zebra functions? Will it ever be able to location update, receive etc?
Research, pull to fill, what else can it do, it not do?
Modernization,,,,
I ask 5 different ETLs the same question, get 5 different answers, with an occasional honest, I don't know.
But,,,,,I'm expected to know the process.

Methods, procedures, training and TIME, are key to success.

Where can I get more info on the Zebra functions? Will it ever be able to location update, receive etc?
Modernization,,,,
I ask 5 different ETLs the same question, get 5 different answers, with an occasional honest, I don't know.

I just saw the receive app on the zebra a few days ago. didn't try it.

WE NEED RTS AND ORDER INQUIRY!

Modernization,,,,

I just saw the receive app on the zebra a few days ago. didn't try it.

WE NEED RTS AND ORDER INQUIRY!

Its there buried into the Mywork app under the plano section. This is assuming you got the latest update for Mywork.
Oh, Research is dead. Its audit now.
Challenge is now Manage Inventory

If you want to drop cafs on the my device use Manage inventory on My device. Its item - backroom page (of item) click pog - click my inventory and then select what you want.

Honestly, I look at E2E as the ability to take control without having to answer all these mundane questions.
Mine you our store has been fully E2E for a full year now. Its only successful because we have committed leadership and committed Tms. You need 10 to 15 committed that can handle the load of their areas. Then let them do it. No pull them to the front for backup etc.

Since you are market, divide the team into valleys and tell them maintain this valley. Just that valley. (or 2) If they have pride in their work, they will. Most people who want to work, want a sense of accomplishment. They want to know they are doing a good job and its helping the growth of the store. Also Look at M2m check your sales in Market. See what is failing and what is selling and push the selling, cull the failing. Tell people how their areas are doing.

I put up cartwheel signs in Pets to promote pet food even though I have all of hardlines. I let the others do signs if they want. Some do, others dont. I lead by example. You walk my area its its organized and clean. Yes freight is being worked almost the entire operating day. Spot doesnt seem to care about that anymore. However, they are clean about it. Do your best. Let them do theirs. If someone doesnt want to, ask why. If they dont want to be there, find someone who does.

Back