MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was hearing about 3 or 4 variations where some models kept POG/Pricing and others do not. On here I'm overwhelmingly seeing most do not keep them.

Last edited:
My store started a modified pilot of the modernization changes on Monday. On Monday they tell flow team to go home at scheduled out times because the rest of sales floor will push all of truck after we leave. Today, on day 3 of the pilot, the entire back of the line wasn't pushed so it was still there when we got in, so we had no vehicles left so we were back to using pallets and cages. Also won't be getting any u-boats until september so we are already short on vehicles to start the process. Then later today they were back to asking us to stay because they thought "lol we actually need you guys" and everything is just a huge mess right now, everyone is pissed at everyone else about every little thing, and its just an awful environment to everyone.

My PPTL said she was hearing about 3 or 4 variations where some models kept POG/Pricing and others do not. On here I'm overwhelmingly seeing most do not keep them.
A lot of stores are keeping their Plano/Pricing teams but just scheduling them under salesfloor hours. There doesn't really seem to be any downside to this, as long as they can give the right answers during a visit.

We were told at my store that Presentation is not only staying but we will be taking over ownership of SPLs in addition to our normal workload.

That was supposed to happen about 2 years ago.

Plano/presentation is still very much alive and well at my store and they've been getting hella hours lately. Hell I've had lots of presentation shifts over the last couple months and I'm not even a plano TM. Guess I'd better soak it up while I still can

We were told at my store that Presentation is not only staying but we will be taking over ownership of SPLs in addition to our normal workload.

Same at my store, presentation and pricing are staying. So does that mean that Sales Floor TLs and Tms don't have to do salesplanners anymore?

Is backroom going away next year for all stores? Also, I heard a rumor that for 2019 consumables will get have two TLs, one for Pfresh and one for dry market, is that true?

New truck process rolled out today at my store. So many guest complaints about vehicles being everywhere blocking endcaps and parts of aisles well into the evening hours. Found lots of mystery vehicles without clips to indicate if they were pulls, backstock, or clearance that needed pushed out to clearance endcaps/aisles. Think there’s gonna be a big learning curve on that. It’s officially been announced to TMs that end to end will be in full effect (in theory) by the time fourth quarter rolls around. But knowing how training (or lack thereof in many workcenters, you just get thrown into the fire) works at my store I’m a little dubious. Hardlines is officially taking over toys and sports (yikes, we’re close to a dozen people understaffed for our store’s volume in hardlines) and if we’re going to be expected to take ownership of zones we need more bodies pronto. We’re supposed to have time to train on how to set sales planners, but I don’t see that as practically being able to take place till back to school is over with, since for BTS we’re a super freaky tier store. Sorry this kind of turned into a rant... so it seems to go with modernization. Some of it’s good but they just aren’t giving us the hours or manpower to get it all into place.

Can you guys give me details on what becomes of the signing tm? Who does overhead, sorting pallet, building shippers and all that stuff.

I assume BR will be going away eventually. I hope it doesn't as I enjoy backroom.
However, it seems that some stores have gotten rid of it already. My store held on for the longest time but now our 'opener' for br is just another SFS Pick/Packer who does all OPU.

It's a shame that it's being phased out because the whole idea where teams drop, pull, and backstock fills really only works for specific areas, not the whole store.
My backroom tl has been told she’s moving to sfs to supervise them. I’m also wondering if the flow tl will be asked to supervise sfs overnight then supervise the truck unload. Then salesfloor will do the push (w old flow tms now Hardlines)

Anyone with the new guest service remodel; where do you sort reshop now?

Attachments

• D4646764-1DFF-4A8C-8B8A-6D62A7247C6A.jpeg
    D4646764-1DFF-4A8C-8B8A-6D62A7247C6A.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 117
In the back area. You won't have room for carts if you used them before. We just hope use a tub with the shelf and stuff sterilite plastic tubs for departments.
Interesting... we already use storage bins on racks instead of carts, they’re just in the same spots carts were. That’s going to suck when we get a remodel next year and have to constantly go behind GS just to sort. My style of guest service includes sorting as I return things while the guest is putting in there card or the next guest is walking up.

New truck process rolled out today at my store. So many guest complaints about vehicles being everywhere blocking endcaps and parts of aisles well into the evening hours. Found lots of mystery vehicles without clips to indicate if they were pulls, backstock, or clearance that needed pushed out to clearance endcaps/aisles. Think there’s gonna be a big learning curve on that. It’s officially been announced to TMs that end to end will be in full effect (in theory) by the time fourth quarter rolls around. But knowing how training (or lack thereof in many workcenters, you just get thrown into the fire) works at my store I’m a little dubious. Hardlines is officially taking over toys and sports (yikes, we’re close to a dozen people understaffed for our store’s volume in hardlines) and if we’re going to be expected to take ownership of zones we need more bodies pronto. We’re supposed to have time to train on how to set sales planners, but I don’t see that as practically being able to take place till back to school is over with, since for BTS we’re a super freaky tier store. Sorry this kind of turned into a rant... so it seems to go with modernization. Some of it’s good but they just aren’t giving us the hours or manpower to get it all into place.

Yeah, it's like that at my store. Sometimes the entire back section of electronics is blocked by vehicles so people literally can't shop the TVs, Funkos, TV Stands, etc we've got back there because there's wall-to-wall vehicles. I wish I was exaggerating, but, I'm not. None of them have anything to do with electronics, either, most of them are vehicles that should go in H&B.

Mind you, that's in addition to the other vehicles all over and palettes blocking the mains. It's just lose/lose.

Another store is supposedly sending team members to help us catch up tomorrow. Ok but they really need to hire more people or we are just going to keep rolling trucks again after they clean it up. Especially since we are now getting 6 trucks instead of 5 some weeks.

Again if you’re a guest, sorry if you want to buy luggage anytime before noon or 1pm because you’re going to have to climb over vehicles and pallets to get down the aisle.

Edit: there was at least 10 people or more on the projected overtime report this week.

Last edited:
The left side of receiving was death-trap blocked (no possible path through, vehicles with stuff stacked 6 feet high) because the truck didn’t arrive on time, so they barely got it unloaded with the new process before everyone that is flow was scheduled out for the day. There was only a two foot wide path through the other side. Freight left on docks. Sucked for SFS because nobody could get to bulk plastics or domestics stuff because you would’ve had to scale the steel to have a way to have reached it. As of the end of the night it wasn’t any better. Supposedly Monday we’re getting more help from other stores but there is no goddamn room to unload the truck for Monday because all of Saturday’s truck is still on the rollers and clogging receiving!

That’s beautiful but looks like it would look hella messy very quick with nowhere to “hide” stuff like you can at the old service desks
Our store looks like this. Behind the wall is big open space, omg so much shit is hidden behind there it is ridiculous. So much better than the at services and the old school one with a wall and small walk way. Yo can definitely hide stuff behind the walls. We have our opu area back there along with the totes for defects and whatnot. We still use just a tiered cart for all reshot but I’m sure that will change come 4th quarter.

Look at the bright side. An anonymous call to the local fire marshal will quickly solve blocked pathways.
Are you sure? Because someone did this at my store and yes he came out but fire halls still sometimes get blocked and don't get me started on the hazard that is the fixture room.

He was here about a month ago. Saw him twice.

Are you sure? Because someone did this at my store and yes he came out but fire halls still sometimes get blocked and don't get me started on the hazard that is the fixture room.

Fire marshal in my county don't take that stuff well. 15 years ago maybe they slapped us with a $20,000 fine for a fire hall being blocked.

Its a very serious safety violation. My dad works for a different company but they shut down his store until they moved the crap in front of their fire exit and the store was heavily fined. We have had thrests of shutting our store dosn for ztuff in our fire aisle anx blockage of our seasonal doors. They dont mess around with fire exits :/

Back