MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
New this week at my store: cashiers are no longer allowed to leave our lane at all unless we're on a break or meal. No taking hangers to the bin, no taking reshop to GS (which I'm mostly okay with because they couldn't be bothered to use the sort function and often dumped things in the wrong baskets), no zoning their area, no going to the racetrack to let guests know they're available. We're supposed to flash our light if our reshop or hanger baskets get too full and let GSA/TL take care of it.
I can't believe they aren't having them at least use the help button for "come get" for reshop and hangers. Ours aren't allowed to leave for those two things since they can just notify the GSTL they need it from their register anyway. But they can zone their lane and greet guests.

I can't believe they aren't having them at least use the help button for "come get" for reshop and hangers. Ours aren't allowed to leave for those two things since they can just notify the GSTL they need it from their register anyway. But they can zone their lane and greet guests.
Actually it makes sense to NOT use the button. Faster response without freaking out the LOD.

Actually it makes sense to NOT use the button. Faster response without freaking out the LOD.

They mean if you press "HELP", it'll bring up a bunch of options and then send it straight to the GSTL as a myAlert. Not the additional cashier button.

That's why I was asking about the GSTL's role in modernization. How are we supposed to be taking care of our guests without any staff to do the tasks?

The code word is “efficiency”. I’m sure you’ve heard your ETL or STL talk about it. If not...you will. It’s all about making the team more “efficient”. Which means do more with less. And since they are raising the pay to $15, they want that extra bang for their buck.

Serious question did traing stop for new people with this modernization? At my store every new person has not been set up with a trainer. Or mentor whatever. Literally they are sent to their work center and expected to get right to work. I brought this up with hr and they said thsts hkw it is now and to answer anything the newbie asks. Target training is a sink or swim thing but this is new and quite frankly just sad. I have this new gal who was in tears its her first job and she is so overwhel.ed and freaked out. Me and ankth tm have been showing her the ropes but seriously wtf. Just curiouz if our store is being epic lazy or if this is a trend.

They will, if their Lead(er) "allows" it. A lazy, lax Team Member will only be lazy and lax if we let them. The Lead(er) needs to: Set expectations, follow through, and be consistent and vigilant about the expectations until the TM's results are consistently at that level. Period.
There goes are chances ... we don't have a good leader. He's hardly ever around to lead.

Serious question did traing stop for new people with this modernization? At my store every new person has not been set up with a trainer. Or mentor whatever. Literally they are sent to their work center and expected to get right to work. I brought this up with hr and they said thsts hkw it is now and to answer anything the newbie asks. Target training is a sink or swim thing but this is new and quite frankly just sad. I have this new gal who was in tears its her first job and she is so overwhel.ed and freaked out. Me and ankth tm have been showing her the ropes but seriously wtf. Just curiouz if our store is being epic lazy or if this is a trend.
Just the opposite in my area. There is a renewed focus on training. It costs a lot to bring someone on. We dont want them leaving after a couple of weeks because they are so overwhelmed.

There goes are chances ... we don't have a good leader. He's hardly ever around to lead.

If your Lead(er) isn't "around" to steer the Team to success........that fault falls on their boss. You have to hold that ETL responsible for not holding his/her Lead(ers) accountable. If your ETLs are non-existent as well, then the STL is ultimately responsible. Truly, a GOOD STL should have high expectations from his/her ETLs. Those ETLs need to help set working goals/achievements for their own Lead(ers). And those Lead(ers) need to take those working goals/achievements and divide them equally amongst their Teams.

No one can be successful without knowing what the specific expectations are. No one can "coach" properly without setting the expectation first; and observing the results later. Not everyone "learns" the same way..... so "active" Leadership is necessary. Find what works with your Team, be involved, and actively Lead the Team.

And a GOOD Leader (at any level) is innately a "Leader". Most will have some sort of "routine" with their Leadership style. Early in my career, I found S.M.A.R.T to be my Leadership "style" : Specific, Measurable, Agreed, Realistic, Timely. I make sure I "layer" that Leadership style into what Spot expects of me.

Similar situation at my store. We aren’t hiring anyone for A&A, electronics, beauty, or market unless they have prior experience, aren’t a minor and have open availability. The few people that do end up making it end up feeling they aren’t trained enough to do their jobs properly and it’s exhausting for tenured tm’s to cheerlead them on so they don’t quit when we’re overwhelmed ourselves.

Can someone please explain to me how A&A is supposed to properly function from this point on? My lead is clueless and some say its gonna be a big change others say our roles stay the same..

From what I read they make the key carrying leads basically answer all “lod” calls?
It’ll depend on your store director. All leads will be allowed to have keys but they won’t be answering LOD calls technically. You’re supposed to go to the highest Lead/Leader in your department for your issues so instead on an LOD assigning tasks it’ll be the A&A lead, leading his/her team and working along side the closing lead or whatever leader is in the building

Back