MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
There is a guide that outlines the new A&A (softlines) breakout process as far as how the Z-racks are now suppose to be set up with those yellow hanger dividers that have the brand name label cards on them it explains other things like the new mini racks with the red baskets at the bottom and how supposed to receive folding tables etc. Does anyone know what I am talking about if so where can I go to print that guide out? Is it on workbench maybe?

There is a guide that outlines the new A&A (softlines) breakout process as far as how the Z-racks are now suppose to be set up with those yellow hanger dividers that have the brand name label cards on them it explains other things like the new mini racks with the red baskets at the bottom and how supposed to receive folding tables etc. Does anyone know what I am talking about if so where can I go to print that guide out? Is it on workbench maybe?
Just search sort and stock on work bench. The A&A portion is in the massive handbook for sort and stock. If you go to the page for it though you can find light duty profiles and a ton of other resources for setting it up

I just took over my stores "Inbound team" after being a SR. Hardlines TL for 3 years (change of pace) and this process doesnt work with the hours and expectations given. I consider my self a super fast worker and can get task (Sales plans,revisions, PTM, etc) done very quickly, but to expect someone to zone up to 10 aisles to perfection, do the pulls, shoot exfs, push their portion of the truck, and do reshop on top of it , its not realistic. Now were incorporating workload and pricing into their duties within a 6-8 hour time frame? I like the sort process and think it does work but the problem is how long it takes and im only given 6 people, now 5 due to payroll cuts were losing alot of wasted time when we could be unloading with more people and getting done quicker. I inherited mainly old school flow team members who have been converted to "Dedicated stockers (experts) and it has been a disaster. Many of them are not qualified or have the intelligence to handle whats being asked of them. Were also not really raising our standards of who were hiring, although that could be more of a demographic issue. Ive been with the company going on 5 years now, and the past year has been the most stressful and chaotic ever with all the changes. I get that we have to stay ahead of the competition, but at what point do we not step back and say what aint broke dont fix it? I dont see this lasting long at all. My store is barely head above water now and were fighting the same battles that every other store is facing since this rollout.

Can't have pallets that would cause unnecessary steps. Remember you are only allowed to go three steps from the uboat to stock the product. The uboat must always come with you.
Yes, so I have to tell every single guest in my aisle, "Let me know if my vehicle is in your way." One u-boat, one TM, and one guest with a cart in an aisle is crowded. Add a couple of kids wandering while mom is shopping and getting anything pushed is impossible. Yep, it's so much more efficient though!

All DTL’s and up will have a group meeting in Minneapolis during March week 1 where modernization will be officially rolled out to the entire company. STL’s will have a meeting the following week with a company expectation that’s modernization is fully implemented in all stores by the beginning of Q2 (May).

This is in line with what I have heard as well.

All DTL’s and up will have a group meeting in Minneapolis during March week 1 where modernization will be officially rolled out to the entire company. STL’s will have a meeting the following week with a company expectation that’s modernization is fully implemented in all stores by the beginning of Q2 (May).

This news makes me feel like I am in one of those dreams where I'm being chased by something big and bad and it's very scary!! :eek:

I inherited mainly old school flow team members who have been converted to "Dedicated stockers (experts) and it has been a disaster. Many of them are not qualified or have the intelligence to handle whats being asked of them.
If you're going to insult the intelligence of your tms, at least proofread your own grammar...... just saying...

I'm curious as to how sales compare for those stores who are doing modernization and for those are not?? Are there increases for the modernization stores?
We are doing modernization for the most part. Just haven’t switched over price and pog for Hardlines. We are at an 18 percent increase ytd. Truck process goes very well in our store.

There are some processes that kinda work, but expecting the DTM to get all their stuff completed in 6 hours is rediculous.

Six hours try four hours. it may not be there yet for everyone but it is for us. "you're scheduled four hours so you should be able to get all your tasks done in that amount of time. They do it at store T____."

Is there anyone in grocery that has their POG revision and salesplanner hours lumped in to the regular workload? Basically we have no one scheduled for pog we are just supposed to do our own areas as business owners. It doesn't seem like we have been given extra time to do this, but it it is the slow season so maybe after cuts the hours are there (you know what I mean). We are really struggling and are not sure how this is supposed to work.

Is there anyone in grocery that has their POG revision and salesplanner hours lumped in to the regular workload? Basically we have no one scheduled for pog we are just supposed to do our own areas as business owners. It doesn't seem like we have been given extra time to do this, but it it is the slow season so maybe after cuts the hours are there (you know what I mean). We are really struggling and are not sure how this is supposed to work.
Yes.

Sales planners are being tied with no product in the store. Our dm wants a “perfect” tie score this week. Less hours & same workload.
Especially for the cases
I got that line when I first got to my store after transferring over, that the hours were "integrated" into the overall schedule for pogs and revisions. No they are not Felicia. You are full of crap Felicia 😁 I personally showed them that we are not into integration of pog and revisions being done by grocery yet and Plano is to do it. Got the whole "well your hours will reduce dramatically and Plano will get them". Well guess what, the hours did not get reduced, go figure. Come later on in 2019 that will all change to the team having to do it but I wonder how much of a bump consumables will actually get in hours to do it. Judging from the posts of stores that are fully integrated it does not seem much.

What is your TL doing with their time?

The hours are likely not going to be there, your TL needs to run the business and manage what's important vs not based on sales and allocate time needed to complete important tasks with available time from "non important" tasks.

I spent 6 hours doing the lunchbox revision. 38 label strips. Pulled. Pushed. Defected out over 100 boxes. Didn't have time to backstock. I don't see how the integration will work.

Stores weren’t perfect before modernization but damn at least we could find most shit, the floor was full most of the time, and guests didn’t have to go through obstacle courses to try and shop.

I remember when zoning was an everyday thing at my store, now it seems like a more of a when I can get to it thing because I have to do these other 500 things first or be yelled at.

If your in a store that struggles to meet payroll, low volume sales, and is within a 5 - 10 mile radius or geographically close to another store, start thinking of moving on or transferring to another store. Be prepared. Target as a business practice, shutters about a dozen stores on average for poor performance every year. This does not includes the Canada debacle either. It also doesn't matter how long you've been in your current location either. Target has closed stores that haven't been open for 5 years from what I've been told. Not much notice is given either.

Target takes its business metrics seriously and is not gun shy.

Which brings me to all of us that are in "pilot stores". Did anyone see a corporate representative, private company, or a STL/ETL//TL with a clip board or any other piece of equipment measuring or observing the process? We just went through an idea time to measure and observe.

I didn't see anyone and when I asked, they gave me the deer in the headlights glazed look. This was a red flag about the size of Montana.

What we're doing now is most likely the results from the failed attempt to carry out the E2E/Store Modernization DC process. Instead of admitting we're way behind in building, processes, and technology, Brian and Co probably decided it would be best to shift it out to the stores instead of taking the pr hit.

This would explain all of the half ass attempts with technology and processes. Don't want the label of Canada Part Deuce do we?

For a process that is SO TIME SENSITIVE, I have yet to see a process that is obtainable given the time constraints. It's either/or when it comes to a task. Given our staffing at a LV store (less than 27M), the best we can do is about a 1400 piece truck (come clean). Any more and it's most likely spending the night.

It's so painfully obvious that we just don't have the margins to support the payroll needed to carry this out. January hours were art thou? 2018 3rd Qtr margins were off just a tad too!

The Uboats were most likely a combination of the residual of the market store sort and the DC experiment that took place in NJ (? location). This would adequately explain the drastic shortage of carts. You can google retail unload processes and see all varieties and colors of Uboats. It's nothing new. We're just not set up to carry it out (DC Team Members confirmed this).

Purchase of the Uboats needed would have also been a big deal in the material handling world and would have gone out for bid. Press anyone???

This happened to SL with the E2E transition, and we were assured that while we'd be setting our own POGs/VMGs and doing our own Price Change and backstock in addition to working freight/pulls, Fitting Room duties and everything else, that we'd get all the payroll for the new tasks.
But, we've had next to no one scheduled most days, and then mostly 4 hour shifts. Leaders getting on our case if we leave any freight, causing us to avoid task work, then sending nasty emails to leads when task work isn't done.

I've seen weeks where we still get a truck every day, and the calendar calls for 120 hours of POG/VMG work, not to mention price change workload, and the schedule does not change. So how are we "getting" those hours?

Back