MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Overthinking it. Gsa is being phased out ad all functions will be handled by higher level cashiers at 15 an hour. The gstl will still be there to handle calls, manage the keys and anything you don't want 5 cashiers doing all at once. The cashiers tho will be expected to handle their own overrides and issues.

This is the kind of thing I would afraid of. Handle an override, that's fine. But what happens when your TL or whoever takes issue with you overriding this thing or that? I get in trouble when a guest lies about where they found some thing or the other ($8 soap in $4 location, when I didn't put it there for example). I imagine it will be much worse when you are doing the override on a price yourself.

From what I gather about thus new modernization, I think there will be some issues at first and hopefully they will be ironed out over time. I also think that a lot of TM's will quit because they will be over stressed....we shall see. I was handed a card today that laid out the expectations of what a typical day would be like.

For example: (1) Come in and go directly to the area you own. Make sure it's ready to be stocked with a strong zone/guest ready.

(2) Walk endcaps and make notes on fill needs or ones that might need to be flipped or replaced.

(3) Go to the backroom, get autofills/ truck freight, and start pushing.

(4) Backstock as you go, return the vehicle and retrieve the next.

(5) Once autofills/truck push is done, perform scans to fill. Then pull and push your freight.

(6) Finally, use the time left in your shift to complete price changes, set new salesplans and complete revisions.
Reality check: Our team members can barely finish working and backstocking the freight. Most days they don't even finish that.

Reality check: Our team members can barely finish working and backstocking the freight. Most days they don't even finish that.
Than Target wants them to be performanced out with people who can. They expect $15 an hour will draw in the best workers from all over. They also believe the more they pay someone the more they should be able to achieve. Hell pay me $1,000,000 an hour I still can only get so much done. It's like we are computers to them that can be overclocked for higher performance. This is going to be a slaughter this year as people get fired I olny hope there is a mass lawsuit. Target may push people far enough to mass unionize also. Who knows it just plain sucks

Hell, we had a flat today that had shit left over from the Tuesday truck :p

Not my problem. I only get one day a week so I'm not going to run myself ragged to care about it. Can only get so much done in 5 hours anyway!

Overthinking it. Gsa is being phased out ad all functions will be handled by higher level cashiers at 15 an hour. The gstl will still be there to handle calls, manage the keys and anything you don't want 5 cashiers doing all at once. The cashiers tho will be expected to handle their own overrides and issues. First 2 hours will be handled by opening cashier then a mid gstl at peak and a closing cashier. Banking will be simplified with the new cash recyclers rolling out company wide.
Not overthinking it. Just being a realist. Who is watching the front lanes? Calling for backup? Overriding alcohol sales for minors? What happens when a GSTL is on vacation? I can keep going..

Than Target wants them to be performanced out with people who can. They expect $15 an hour will draw in the best workers from all over. They also believe the more they pay someone the more they should be able to achieve. Hell pay me $1,000,000 an hour I still can only get so much done.
Since $15 across the board probably won't be rolled out until the end of next year (technically, it could be January 2021 if they say "Oh, we meant the fiscal year!") they are wanting all this extra responsibility now while dangling a lot of carrots on very long poles. Also, since many companies are currently upping their base to $15, what caliber of employee is going to be left for Spot to hire?

Also, since many companies are currently upping their base to $15, what caliber of employee is going to be left for Spot to hire?

That's a valid point. The unemployment rate is hovering at 4% so there really isn't much excess capacity in the market. As other employers up their base rate to $15 it won't be easy for Spot to attract DBO and cashiers on steroids.

You can work in a hospital doing laundry or washing dishes, or you can have the stress of owning your own business.... both for the same pay. At a hospital you're more likely to get enough hours to support yourself and even have insurance. I don't know if $15/hr will be enough.

We have 3 hour shifts at my store for DBO's who are suppose to own an area, lol. Someone is smoking crack!
Same at mine. They get 3-4 hour shifts and sometimes don’t come in until later in the day.

Not overthinking it. Just being a realist. Who is watching the front lanes? Calling for backup? Overriding alcohol sales for minors? What happens when a GSTL is on vacation? I can keep going..
Every small format in the country has been doing it for the past year. Granted it less volume but my small format still does 30 million a year so not that small. If it’s something simple the gstm typically handles it. The team is pretty self sufficient once you stop holding their hands. Worst case gstm calls another TL up because it’s a bigger issue. There’s no reason to have someone standing up front 16 hours a day.

Does anyone know what the goal of modernization is supposed to be? Or what problems it's supposed to solve? In our meeting our STL touted how great and tested this is going to be. I asked him what exactly was wrong with how things were 15,10 or even a year ago and how exactly this would correct that but he couldn't name anything. Just gave some talking points on how this is tested and efficient and we all need to be onboard. A few years ago we stocked the store when it was closed and we were always "great by 8." There were different teams that each had one job to do and did it fast (stocking only, backstocking only.) If you sucked at what you were hired for you were moved into another job you did well at. Now it seems you must be an expert at everything and focus your entire shift on 5 or 6 different tasks, rather then just one but being phenomenal at it.

It's funny to me that they feel everyone should be this amazing cyborg miracle worker for $15 an hour when minimum wage is slowly being raised to $15 across the country.

They are literally going to be paying minimum wage and expecting someone to work their ass off for it.

This company is led by morons.

So, are most stores gaining a GSTL/S&E Lead? We have two, and they can't work seven days a week. (If this has been addressed elsewhere, apologies. I looked, but didn't see it.)

Last edited:
Every small format in the country has been doing it for the past year. Granted it less volume but my small format still does 30 million a year so not that small. If it’s something simple the gstm typically handles it. The team is pretty self sufficient once you stop holding their hands. Worst case gstm calls another TL up because it’s a bigger issue. There’s no reason to have someone standing up front 16 hours a day.
ASANTS. Knowing my store, which does about double the business of your store, it’s not holding the employees hands but those of the guests. There is a culture of high maintenance guests who require a manager at the ready. There are times when my store gets very busy outside of that window when thenGSTL will be scheduled.

OK. I'm thinking about this a bit now that the caffeine has kicked in and while I'm still of a mind it CAN work, I'm also curious about a couple of things, most of which @Frontlanegirl has mentioned (including the not-small-format, higher-volume issue).

Morning/days doesn't concern me much. Leaders (usually Gen Mdse or Style) are there to open the store. We also have our own Leader who's there nine-to-sixish. They'll have to deal with the Karens and Chads who insist on a manager until the GSTL/S&E Lead arrives. Leaders get paid the big bucks, and they're welcome to it.

Nights? We have a Closing Lead. Typically, a GSA closes up front (though not always; at my store there are only two of us right now, meaning GSTLs/Leads are having to close). That's it. The Closing Lead is hourly, like the rest of us, has to clock out for a meal, like the rest of us, and can't work off the clock, like the rest of us. The thought of that scenario makes me "eek" a little, but if Target's going to do it, they're going to do it. I'm not going to stress over it. My main worry is that I'll end up closing all the time because I'll be an ex-GSA.

Last edited:
Hell, we had a flat today that had shit left over from the Tuesday truck :p

Not my problem. I only get one day a week so I'm not going to run myself ragged to care about it. Can only get so much done in 5 hours anyway!
Than Target wants them to be performanced out with people who can. They expect $15 an hour will draw in the best workers from all over. They also believe the more they pay someone the more they should be able to achieve. Hell pay me $1,000,000 an hour I still can only get so much done. It's like we are computers to them that can be overclocked for higher performance. This is going to be a slaughter this year as people get fired I olny hope there is a mass lawsuit. Target may push people far enough to mass unionize also. Who knows it just plain sucks
We only hire sucky people because only sucky people apply. Rarely does anyone of quality apply. $15 isn't going to change that. I get what corporate is saying, but it's not realistic. 80% of our team would be performanced out. I agree they are a waste of payroll, but I think the reason they're still here is because there's no one applying to replace them.

They expect $15 an hour will draw in the best workers from all over.
giphy.gif

The pricing team is gone, the POG team is gone, backroom team gone, VM's gone. It all lands on the sales floor team members. Hours cut from 37 to between 25 to 30. Our STL told us no current team members are allowed to be promoted, they will only hire outside people now. The TL and ETL people are people managers now, but they dont know anything about Target to actually help TM. Since the experiment, they are adding even more ETL's but not TM. we have lost soo many good people to other companies, who are willing to match pay to keep good people.

Just got wind of a new "modernization" item. Not sure if it's just at our store or not. Have been told on April 1, 2019 all employees will be put back on a first 90 days. Was told it was a way the Executive team can get rid of anyone they want to. Not sure how they could legally do this? The 90 day agreement needs to be presented and signed before employment. Anyone have any insight or heard about this. We were told it is company wide.

Back