MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
GSA gone is the best thing I have read so far. I have never seen the need for the position. Our GSA’s lean against the jewelry boat and talk at guest service all day. They don’t even speed weave, just tell backups to open any register and let guests knock each other down to get there. For years cashiers were supposed to be ‘empowered to make it right for the guest’, if that is true then the gsa is only needed to get change, anyone with keys can do that, it’s not that often. When there is a blinker they usually just call someone from the dept to verify the dispute - it’s comical to see- the cashier, the gsa, the salesfloor tm all standing at the register talking about a $3.00 price challenge . Sometimes there is a gsa ‘watching over’ ONE cashier and since they WON’T (claim they can’t?) jump on a register, they call for backup when needed and continue to stand there - no endcap zoning, no SPL, no pushing, no cashiering, no speed weaving, not even putting bags in guest carts or helping remove hangers...nothing but call for backup and get change. While I’m on a gsa rant - the WAY they call for backup ! Makes me grind my teeth ! “Softlines, hardlines, who is responding ?” !! What good does that do other than be Annoying as F. !! Get a grid and call a name already and rotate who you call! Cause otherwise the SAME 2 people ALWAYS respond.
Sounds a lot like me when I was starting as a GSA way back in the day..

I am a much stronger leader now.

like picking OPU? if that's what you mean then the front end shouldn't be owning that at all anyway
It does in my district, and has since the pilot began.

No, OPU should always be scheduled under Flexible Fullfillment. The front desk gets the Order Pickup service hours, same with Drive Up.

I understand that some stores may do this differently but I'm pretty sure that's best practice.

Thanks for posting that, @gsa4lyfe. Any timeline in there for full implementation? (Thinking of the crew I had tonight and had three who definitely won't be able to handle it all.)

What about OPU? In Pilot Land, that's fallen under the front end for a year now. Will that continue?
Stores have from April 1st - September 1st to be fully implemented and be at head count. So those losing etls have a buffer before they kick them to the curb. OPU will fall under the same General merch TL that oversees fulfillment. Depending on your gen merch head count it gets plot up differently. You’ll be fulfillment experts and essentially run autonomously and your TL would just be there for support or check in and make sure you’re doing your job.

Wait so if they are cutting the GSA/SEA role but adding another GSTL/SEL, what happens to current GSA’s/SEL’s? Do they just get told tough luck? Or will the highest performing GSA get that new SEL spot? We have a GSA who is higher performing than either of our GSTL’s (always getting redcards, doing 1-1 with cashiers as they come in, constantly talks to leadership about developing other tm’s) it would suck really bad to see this GSA be shoved back as a “cashier” or GS...

we are being transitioned down to guest advocates

There are some CSE that even with the wave, if you don't have long arms, you will not be able to hang the sign. Try reaching over a high capacity shelf wall on the wave and switch signing. Not so easy. And I am not short.

One of my store's rear seasonal is above high capacity shelves. Even with the wave, I can't reach it. We have to remove every shelf, get the tallest ladder out of the backroom, and place the ladder on the basedeck. It takes two people each time. I'd love to see 98% of the people in my store try it. I've been doing signing for 12 years and it's a struggle for me with the new fabric.

Last edited:
Can we just fire all the people now who won't use the wave, stacker, powerjack, or make a bale? That would thin out over 50% of our team including most of the leadership, including our stl, who I once overheard couldn't make a bale.

This is true...but just because I can use the stacker doesn't mean I want to...(basically, if I can get it down on the wave, I will. Unless it's like a TV or something breakable. Then I get someone else. lol)

This is true...but just because I can use the stacker doesn't mean I want to...(basically, if I can get it down on the wave, I will. Unless it's like a TV or something breakable. Then I get someone else. lol)

Just because I can use the register doesn't mean I want to. But that isnt going to happen in the future. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing little old Jasmine get torn to shreds when she says she won't make a bale, get carts, or use the stacker.

Can we just fire all the people now who won't use the wave, stacker, powerjack, or make a bale? That would thin out over 50% of our team including most of the leadership, including our stl, who I once overheard couldn't make a bale.

Our hardlines VM needs to be replaced with someone who's tall enough to get on the wave to do the lights.

Yeah, everyone's on their first 90 days every day they work. If you suck you suck, if you don't you're likely being kept.

That is if they like you, they keep you no matter what. If they don't like you, they get rid of you even though you do your work well.

I’m assuming they mean theoretically. Since everyone is learning a new process they want leaders to manage the team as if they’re in their first 90 days. That’s a good thing for the team not a bad thing. It’s not a “we can fire them all within the next 90 days” it’s more of a “give them 90 days to adjust before coaching and documenting them”
Then they need to throw out my unjust CCA!

Then they need to throw out my unjust CCA!
Well that’s not official policy and stores are welcome to coach how they please. I don’t know the details so I can’t say one way or their other but this new model doesn’t tell you how to manage your team so the 90 days thing was a store, district or group decision

Then they shouldn't be coaching individual team members for not breaking down food truck pallets when the team member was stocking the empty floor but when other team members leave unbroken pallets for the next day, then he doesn't coach. They make up their own rules.

In my store they’re also very unfair with the coachings. So ridiculous that they could coach you for not greeting, neglecting a guest that is barely coming from Best Buy which is few stores next to Target. 🙄😒

Just got wind of a new "modernization" item. Not sure if it's just at our store or not. Have been told on April 1, 2019 all employees will be put back on a first 90 days. Was told it was a way the Executive team can get rid of anyone they want to. Not sure how they could legally do this? The 90 day agreement needs to be presented and signed before employment. Anyone have any insight or heard about this. We were told it is company wide.
I call bull shit

Our hardlines VM needs to be replaced with someone who's tall enough to get on the wave to do the lights.
I do it for my VM in my store because she’s terrified of the wave.... my STL Gabe up on trying to get her to learn and just accepted I’ll spend like an hour every other week helping her out.

I do it for my VM in my store because she’s terrified of the wave.... my STL Gabe up on trying to get her to learn and just accepted I’ll spend like an hour every other week helping her out.

That's kind of you. But isn't that part of her job?

Back