MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Target is literally making all time highs in revenue and comp...

Does not mean its sustainable, or directly related to these changes. Most of retail is experiencing a upturn and steady growth currently and have been for a while, and the company seriously needs to consider correlation does not imply causation.

Retail keeps collapsing, weaker companies keep dying, and the remaining retailers gain their market share on top of a improving economy creating these increased sales.

Honestly the fact our stocks are highly inconsistent compared to say Walmart is alarming. Erratic jumps and drops in stock value is not at all a good thing regardless of how high it may go. The only thing its good for is day traders making a fast buck. Its a sign of artificial or unsustainable growth, a bubble in other terms.

Go look at Walmarts stocks for the last 5 years, that chart pattern is sustainable growth, and Targets stocks are harshly different.

How is your cosmetics/HBA as far as break out? It’s been a constant struggle for my team having Uboat a full of repacks, detrashing when (from what my STL said and I read it as well) inbound owning break out and detrashing.
We have 2 pallets for repacks behind the line (I know you're not supposed to). One pallet is for beauty/cosmetics (ssz 2/12) and one for hba (ssz 1/5/20/21/22). We have someone who breaks out the cosmetics into the rolling cart at the end of the line, and a separate uboat for beauty case freight. This works really well, although beauty tends to fall behind some. My HBA team is really good and they always get done quick.

I already make more than $15/hr, but thanks. That isn't what I was saying.

Why didn't corporate take feedback from the pilot stores to ensure a smooth rollout? It's a legitimate question. If you posed this same scenario in business school, you'd flunk out. So why did they go about it this way? Why rollout half a process in the meantime as well? None of it makes any sense.
Sorry you missed the point. Target has incorporated these changes for the $15 an hour that's coming soon. They we're not going to keep people doing the same thing for money without adding more responsibility.

Does not mean its sustainable, or directly related to these changes. Most of retail is experiencing a upturn and steady growth currently and have been for a while, and the company seriously needs to consider correlation does not imply causation.

Retail keeps collapsing, weaker companies keep dying, and the remaining retailers gain their market share on top of a improving economy creating these increased sales.

Honestly the fact our stocks are highly inconsistent compared to say Walmart is alarming. Erratic jumps and drops in stock value is not at all a good thing regardless of how high it may go. The only thing its good for is day traders making a fast buck. Its a sign of artificial or unsustainable growth, a bubble in other terms.

Go look at Walmarts stocks for the last 5 years, that chart pattern is sustainable growth, and Targets stocks are harshly different.

Stocks are based off investor sentiment. When Brian Cornell laid out his plan of remodels and innovation into the online marketplace it wasn't initially welcomed by investors but has paid off. Target has been beating walmart on per share EPS over the last 8 quarters since the changes and they both are on a similar 5 year over all stock growth. Both had pivotal points in the last 5 years WMT back in 2015 with it's progression and TGT in 2017 with it's moves into more exclusive and private brands and the expansion into the online fulfillment space with their SFS and OPU and acquisition of Shipt to expand delivery nation wide.

I don't understand why the metric doesn't just say "errors found" or "errors discovered" instead of "created". I bet at least half of ETL-Logs in the company don't understand what it means.

Attachments

• 2652F694-EFFF-43FC-B14D-834D907CCB68.jpeg
    2652F694-EFFF-43FC-B14D-834D907CCB68.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 174
ASANTS, your leadership just sucks. Some stores have ETL-logs who hate dicking around with a burning hate and WILL march to the AP office to look up camera footage if I tell them that so and so was doing 3 cases an hour. Then they usually disappear soon after.

First, don't talk about using cameras to monitor Team Members' work performance. That's a Pandora's box that we don't want to talk about here as that's not a business practice of Target. Using such tactics without specific language along with a liability release signed by said Team Members prior to the event or as part of the conditions of behind hired could result in a lot of legal problems for those who witnessed the contents of the monitoring and Target.

I learned about this a while ago. 😗

Second there are times which my leadership has its moments. But as it rolls down hill and there is no payroll, they don't care, just get it done.

Just because I can use the register doesn't mean I want to. But that isnt going to happen in the future. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing little old Jasmine get torn to shreds when she says she won't make a bale, get carts, or use the stacker.

😂 Yeah, most days I don't want to use the register either...

I've been fortunate to have not needed the stacker since I've been back. Everything I've had to go up for usually just needs the wave, and I'm a pro at that. I'm fine pulling down paper pallets or detergent or stuff like that with the stacker, but if it's things like TVs or InstantPots, that's when I get nervous and ask for help.

Our freight situation is currently frightening. I worked out four vehicles in a 5.5 hour shift last night and I felt so slow. (One was an entire Uboat of HBA repacks.) This was in addition to backing up at the lanes, pulling a couple guest requests, and backstocking things that haven't been set yet.

I'm not against modernization. I just don't know how it works with the lack of hours we have. The backroom was clean once, in January, and hasn't been since. I feel very fortunate that our store has the leaders it has and they are very understanding of the situation. I hope that doesn't change. I hope that the issues will iron themselves out.

Ive been a Sr TL for 3 years so i know what im talking about. I took over the new sort process back in october, and I was right there with everyone in this thread. My store was not ready for the changes, alot of people refused to buy in and our results showed. Our BRLA was at a 85%, trucks werent getting done, workload wasnt getting done... you get the point. It literally took us 4 months of HELL to iron out all the kinks and it took alot of converstations and turnover before any progress was made. The past 1-2 month has been a total 180 across the store. BRLA is at 97% with a few opps, trucks are getting done majority of the time (domestics is still struggling), our backroom stays clean since all owners are held accountable, and the floor looks great most of the time. I really do feel everyones frustrations and can see where you dont think any of this can work. But trust me it works as long as you have the right people in place and are holding people accountable.

It took you a 1/3 of the year to implement a year long piloted program. You shed a lot of good and bad Team Members. It only came together after peak.

Success is not attained now, but at the minimum, a year from now given how long and where you were at the transition time.

Fatigue will be an issue going forward that you can't escape without internal controls such as continuous improvement programs supported by legitimate process measuring and audits. This is from a formerly registered ISO, QS, and MMSA Auditor. What and how we currently audit is crap at best as it serves no purpose other than to correct data errors. We solve no problems as we rinse and repeat the same things over and over.

You could not pull it together by no fault of your own when it was needed the most. No matter how much success you have now, it could not be done at the time of implementation. This should be the red flag that puts everything on hold until the implementation can be revamped for seamless implementation and/or implementation time.

I worked for a company that had four hours to supply a moving assembly line with various models and configurations. We had to do entire line changes at the end of model with a build out. We only had the time between shifts to convert an entire assembly facility of 8 lines. I've been part of a good transition. By the way, if the line shut down, it cost us 10K/minute.

This transition is horrible and until we can all do this within a day/shift, it's just a poor plan period.

Target is a 70+ Billion Dollar a year company. It is inexcusable for what has taken place and what is about to take place.

Now that I got that out, good job in hanging in there and getting it to work at your store. Hopefully your efforts will not be in vain as time go on.

"Holding people accountable"...won't work if there's only 3 TMs left to hold accountable. All the accountability ever won't help if the store refuses to staff properly to get modernization to work.

Or if they cut hours and people leave, which is what is happening en masse.

I've been applying to everywhere that is taking applications, and a lot of my coworkers have side jobs that are now offering full-time. And they're taking it. One is cutting his availability to Fri/Sat only to accommodate his other job. Fri/Sat was all he was getting to begin with so why bother trying to beg Target for more hours, is what he says about it.

We had a crew a few years back could have tore this up or any other warped idea Spot had. But in true Spot fashion, ran off a lot of them with the knee jerk scheduling and demands.

Yeah why did they threaten to fire us if we questioned the system. Why did they make sure to schedule the entire store before a dtl visit just to pretend everything is perfect. They just say lots of smart people have worked on creating this process and we were just supposed to DO IT. But when you asked how to do it they would say they don't know because we are a pilot store trying to figure it out. Than boom it's rolling out. They should of been asking us what's working what's not working. But out of fear they just told the DTL everything is great and amazing and now here we are days away from full implementation.

This is the canary in the coal mine. It's dead and your going die with it unless you get out of there.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the metric doesn't just say "errors found" or "errors discovered" instead of "created". I bet at least half of ETL-Logs in the company don't understand what it means.

We don't have/utilize exception reports, nor do audits identify and measure these things. Or at the least, use them, if they exists correctly.

Stocks are based off investor sentiment. When Brian Cornell laid out his plan of remodels and innovation into the online marketplace it wasn't initially welcomed by investors but has paid off. Target has been beating walmart on per share EPS over the last 8 quarters since the changes and they both are on a similar 5 year over all stock growth. Both had pivotal points in the last 5 years WMT back in 2015 with it's progression and TGT in 2017 with it's moves into more exclusive and private brands and the expansion into the online fulfillment space with their SFS and OPU and acquisition of Shipt to expand delivery nation wide.

We increased our sales. But our expenses out paced our NI percentage wise. What we've experienced was the "good news" effect of Sales. Remember a while back when our margin took a hit? Our Stock Price tanked with "bad news".

EPS has been supported by Target's stock buy back. If you added back what we purchase this past year, it would have reduced EPS by about .4 which is significant. Even more so in the past. Going forward, Spot will closely keep the outstanding shares limited as to support a $5.50 or better EPS. We'll have a better idea if we go a year or two without stock buy backs.

The actual benefit/cost of SFS and OPU have not been fully realized yet. Until then, I wouldn't look at that as win as it is very small percentage of our overall business.

Truth be told, we can increase SFS to a point to where it starts to cannibalize store sales and profitability. Not to mention capacity constraints. If we don't do some thing on the DC Online Sales support soon, we'll reach a plateau of not being able to meet demand.

That will be bad.

Sorry you missed the point. Target has incorporated these changes for the $15 an hour that's coming soon. They we're not going to keep people doing the same thing for money without adding more responsibility.

Not necessarily true. Our DC's are doing frequent wage surveys as a way to bolster retention and prevent attrition.

We may have started out with this in mind at the store level, but now everyone who can afford to do so has started similar wage increases. We are now keeping pace with the competition. Adding too much now will most like result in an unwanted response.

They are. My STL gave me as much info as she could, basically the VM role will be more important than ever and we will essentially act as BPs in the stores. Which means all the crappy VMs, who do nothing and just walk around all day, will cease to be employed by Target.
I can only dream. Ours has sucked since day 1

I’m thinking our store will be the same. Because a few of our inbound move to pog. Either that or our pog experts will move to 8am and only get 6 hour shifts. Then stay late all the time to get er done.

As an Inbound, I WISH I could be at 8 am and get 6 hours+. I come in at 11 once a week and get a 5 hour shift no going over at all.

And the COGS and Selling Expenses increased more percentage wise than Net Income. Wrong direction for a more efficient direction.
Do do realize part of the cost of goods increase is the pay increases towards 15 and overhead of offer free 2day shipping to compete right? The overhead isn't a sign of failure it's an acquired risk they knew they were taking on to be competitive.

Back