MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is the info available anywhere in this thread (or somewhere, workbench, I dunno) about like... what TL positions exist now per store volume? I was in the pipeline for a position that doesn't exist anymore and I'm trying to figure out if there's other options at my store or if I should be looking at bigger stores.

If its backroom or flex, general merchandise would be your route. We have 2 and they split planno, backroom, flex,and flow.

Well it happened...all the management quit. I thought it would never happen at our store. They are all being replaced with young males. Usually it’s young females. Is it because they can pay them less than the people that have been in those positions? If that is true then what about TM’s making $19 and up.
Spot can pay them less, they don’t have the experience to see that Modernization and cutting hours are a recipe for disaster, they have the gullibility to drink the kool-aid and the malleability to do whatever they are told. Plus after a couple of years at Spot many will get fed up and quit for better jobs, those who are left can either put on the fast track to STL, or can be performanced out to make room for the next crop of newbies. That way few ETLs will be at Spot long enough to get the big bucks. The revolving door isn’t just for TMs anymore...

Spot can pay them less, they don’t have the experience to see that Modernization and cutting hours are a recipe for disaster, they have the gullibility to drink the kool-aid and the malleability to do whatever they are told. Plus after a couple of years at Spot many will get fed up and quit for better jobs, those who are left can either put on the fast track to STL, or can be performanced out to make room for the next crop of newbies. That way few ETLs will be at Spot long enough to get the big bucks. The revolving door isn’t just for TMs anymore...

100 percent... it’s sad that this is what it has come to. Is there any possible way to expose all of this? Like I know we all come on here and MOST of us see this corporate charade. I would love to have an exact calculation of how much money modernization has already lost, is currently loading and potentially losing compared to how much they were spending pre Cornell. Because I feel like with all the the SFS, Shipt app and drive ups along with the old process spot would be making a killing

100 percent... it’s sad that this is what it has come to. Is there any possible way to expose all of this? Like I know we all come on here and MOST of us see this corporate charade. I would love to have an exact calculation of how much money modernization has already lost, is currently loading and potentially losing compared to how much they were spending pre Cornell. Because I feel like with all the the SFS, Shipt app and drive ups along with the old process spot would be making a killing
They are making a killing. They are killing us.

I often wonder how this is being tracked. I mean there are some stores it works but some it does not. So while they might be saving some money I doubt it is whatever they calculated when they started this. I wonder how tied in this whole process is so spot could give us $15 eventually.

I often wonder how this is being tracked. I mean there are some stores it works but some it does not. So while they might be saving some money I doubt it is whatever they calculated when they started this. I wonder how tied in this whole process is so spot could give us $15 eventually.

I honestly feel it's the only reason. Double up responsibilities of existing TMs, get rid of others, reduce hours for those that stay, pay no benefits. Target does not care about it's employees or it's guests when it comes to modernization. It is solely about shareholders.

How do we maintain profits while raising pay, making up for years of underpaying them? Cut expenses and increase prices. Fewer people will notice/complain if hours are cut and responsibilities are increased than if prices increase so that's what they are doing.

Last edited:
I got a walk in P fresh the other day and I was told I had too many people working. I had 1 tm in fresh and 1 tm in dry mid morning plus only 1 more tm scheduled to close later. This is the bare minimum given 210 hours a week. The only way modernization is actually going to work is if anyone above dsd listens to each store issues. I can make my team members work faster, I can make them zone, I can make them replenish for 8 hours but I can't do it without the appropriate payroll. How am I supposed to keep produce fresh until 10 am without a tm plus 5 pallets of FDC or Sort RDC and Push it until 11 am???? They walk ultra high volume stores and they are picture perfect. I'd be on the same level if I had the payroll.

Not much of what goes down at DC makes much sense. I have worked the truck unload ever shift, 5 days a week for 5 years and have honestly seen some of the most bassackwards illogical thinking in the way the load the trailers. I’m talking pallets of cat liter on top of pallets of dog food mixed with glass jars of pasta sauce and baby food. Jars of pickles on top of furniture at the very top of the truck almost nailing someone in the lead. Chemical cases upside down ruining lots of items. Too many shenanigans go down at D.C
There was about 5 trucks straight where halfway through the unload there were about 5-10 PIPOs, side by side and stacked so it was impossible to unload until they were moved. And now we've had an empty trailer sitting at the dock door we use for unload because a driver forgot to pick it up. Leadership from all levels of my store has called the DC but it's still sitting there a week later. We've been having to unload from another door

There was about 5 trucks straight where halfway through the unload there were about 5-10 PIPOs, side by side and stacked so it was impossible to unload until they were moved. And now we've had an empty trailer sitting at the dock door we use for unload because a driver forgot to pick it up. Leadership from all levels of my store has called the DC but it's still sitting there a week later. We've been having to unload from another door
Any time that happens we just have one of the driver move the trailer to the parking lot and the DC deals with it from there. Most drivers wouldn’t mind.

How do you handle running out of vehicles? Even with a clean start I run very thin at the end of the bigger trucks and the accuracy really suffers then.
My ETL tried ordering more u boats but out district lead denied it. When we run out of vehicles we start doing the sort great but then just do what we can to get it off the line and onto a vehicle. It becomes a mess

My ETL tried ordering more u boats but out district lead denied it. When we run out of vehicles we start doing the sort great but then just do what we can to get it off the line and onto a vehicle. It becomes a mess

There were many times before I quit where we get halfway through the truck and run out of space. We have to stop and push to free up space. By the time we're done our 4 hours are up and we go home, leaving the truck still needing to be finished and putting the responsibility onto the dayside team. Which means the p1 team does the rest of the inload, p2 team does p1, and inbound the next morning has to finish up P2 before starting the unload. Never get ahead.

He didn’t order them then. Sap gets approved at HQ level not district. Maybe he asked if he could order more and the DSD said no but if they were ordered they likely would have shown up

Any time that happens we just have one of the driver move the trailer to the parking lot and the DC deals with it from there. Most drivers wouldn’t mind.
That's truly hilarious. We tried for 2 days to get an empty moved al the while talking to transportation and leaving notes in the lock box and taped to the trailer next to the air brakes hookup. First they have to read...

That's truly hilarious. We tried for 2 days to get an empty moved al the while talking to transportation and leaving notes in the lock box and taped to the trailer next to the air brakes hookup. First they have to read...

Easy don't change the pin lock so the driver has to ring the bell or call the store, Have ETL actually talk to the driver. Or slap the pin lock on the empty so he grabs that one instead of the one at the wrong dock..

Back