MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
No, tell us how you really feel!

I get the idea that maybe there's some ill feeling here. But only a hint. :p

Let's just say this .... I'd love to lodge a solid clod of wet dirt in his throat, so that when he vomits from his gag reflex, it fills up his lungs with the vomit. That's describes an appropriate Game of Thrones ending for him.

oh so good today. i have 1 more shift left. went in for my 3 hour. started doing my work and was curious as to why we were down 4 tms on unload. i assumed they were sick. nope. many of the new hires took 2 weeks of truck and noped out. the common complaint is "there's no hours and i have to do more work than my old job wanted a man ager to do". ha ha ha. as much as i liked working here, the turnover rate and feedback has been horrible. my TL finally cracked today, wide eyed and all, when he realized most of us long termers are going elsewhere and he cant keep new hires either. i feel a bit for him, but target done fucked the pooch with this new modernization model.

Retail is always a revolving door, but I haven't seen so many people come and go as much as I did in the past year.

More than anything, I've noticed people who used to rush to make sure they came clean work slower now, because it's not like they'll come clean either way, so why stress? Our poor Plano team gets 60 hours between the two of them to set 140 hours worth of POGs (and the adjacency calendar hours still don't count working pulls or backstocking as part of the POG hours). How is that supposed to work?!
I've been telling management for years about not enough hours to pull or backstock! They just look at me and shrug their shoulders. I'm supposed to pull hours out of my butt to figure it out and yet I have an STL who picks and chooses how he wants to get involved. He basically can't get his hands dirty! Our store is behind in setting revisions and POGS from 6 weeks ago. Yet we are also not quite fully modernized in getting DBO's on the same page on their daily routine. We are still figuring this out. It's going to be a long, long, long road before it all starts to fall in place.

Last edited:
Last Saturday I used more than one flat to push my push, one of which had a huge Sterilite box full of my cardboard and trash. Guess who walked by and talked to me but said nothing about my vehicles? Just the 🍞 ³ squad, aka the DTL, STL and my ETL lol

The perks of working at an usually lit store...ask me anything

Last Saturday I used more than one flat to push my push, one of which had a huge Sterilite box full of my cardboard and trash. Guess who walked by and talked to me but said nothing about my vehicles? Just the 🍞 ³ squad, aka the DTL, STL and my ETL lol

The perks of working at an usually lit store...ask me anything

Careful. They can say nothing and decide behind closed doors on their own that you deserve less bread because you're doing it wrong.

6 weeks !!! We MUST stay above 95% every week. I set 40 hours and map, plan, strategize, staple, separate labels, mark pogs, list work, clean fixture room.......off the clock to recoup some time.

How are style teams faring this week? With full sets in girls boys and infants and sets in rtw and young contemporary and oh, hey, let's throw an extra truck in this week. No way we will be even close to getting done with all transitions. Did I mention no extra hours for the resets? Such BS!

How are style teams faring this week? With full sets in girls boys and infants and sets in rtw and young contemporary and oh, hey, let's throw an extra truck in this week. No way we will be even close to getting done with all transitions. Did I mention no extra hours for the resets? Such BS!

Based on my store, style is faring just fine. They are slow walking through it all in protest. Don't give a shit if it gets done or not is in full force. Style TL has parked herself at the fitting room and has no fucks to give about it either.

We MUST stay above 95% every week. I set 40 hours and map, plan, strategize, staple, separate labels, mark pogs, list work, clean fixture room.......off the clock to recoup some time.
Where do you find the time? My time scheduled factors in setting. I seem to have to plan and organize after I'm done setting the planogram I've given myself on Mondays. If I don't pay attention to getting all my hours for the week minus the revisions that each DBO has to do, I am shit out of luck. Our management team acts like they know how to interpret the adjacency calendar, they do not. They do not know department numbers or that the MMB revisions need to be completed by Tuesday morning because of Street Dated books and Movies. I am all for giving the workload to the respective departments but when we (former Plano TM/TL) have planned workload for years, it's now important for them to look at it?!
They should have been looking at it since day one and figure out whose responsible for what!

Don't try telling anyone with 1/8 of a brain that the adjacency calendar doesn't account for pulls and backstocking. They just stare at you like you are a holographic image who's speaking in a foreign tongue. Then it clicks in their pea brain, and they mumble something like .... yes it does. Or, it's an implied task. Or whatever.

My guess is, they've never set the Ultra premium dog food pog and had a 75 task pull.
It accounts for backstock but not pulls. It obviously doesn’t know what your store will need for backstock so it’s obviously just a generic number per pog but it was clarified in the transition notes for beauty a few months ago.

Is part of modernization eliminating the clearance rear end caps? The two Targets near me hardly ever have clearance set up on them, but we still use them at my store.
It is supposed to eventually salvage the same week as the set so you salvage it out as you set. The first set was stationary last month to test it and then small formats rolled it out and it will be chain wide at some point.

Back in the day, flats could be loaded 4 feet high and pallets loaded to 6 feet for safety reasons. Is there a load height limit for the u boats? Ours are consistently at 7-8 feet high (dec. home with furniture/mirrors/etc) and very heavy) There is no room to place backstock as we stock, no room for the amount of cardboard and not all of the u boats have the "cardboard storage" area. I sometimes feel like I spend more time picking things up off of the floor (lmerch and trash) than actually pushing! We are continually told that there aren't enough u boats and end up unloading them to the receiving room floor simply to safely push and then going back to reload when we've finished pushing. I have never touched the boxes so many times in the entire time I've worked here. How are others dealing with this?

I wonder if the two other stores are even pricing their clearance (or working it out of the Back Room?) -- aka maybe they are behind in the workload.
Can confirm stores in the area (including my former store) are 10K+ behind in Price Change. And from what I hear, it’s not just locally an issue.

Back in the day, flats could be loaded 4 feet high and pallets loaded to 6 feet for safety reasons. Is there a load height limit for the u boats? Ours are consistently at 7-8 feet high (dec. home with furniture/mirrors/etc) and very heavy) There is no room to place backstock as we stock, no room for the amount of cardboard and not all of the u boats have the "cardboard storage" area. I sometimes feel like I spend more time picking things up off of the floor (lmerch and trash) than actually pushing! We are continually told that there aren't enough u boats and end up unloading them to the receiving room floor simply to safely push and then going back to reload when we've finished pushing. I have never touched the boxes so many times in the entire time I've worked here. How are others dealing with this?
There is a height limit. It is what you can safely see around and productively push. Sorters have to use common sense and know what tm is working the vehicle also. My sorters and DBOs talk about preferences and we all work to keep vehicles reasonable. It only works for the long haul when everyone sees all sides.

Back