MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
oh, i was a barista so i’m very familiar with the licensed store agreement. there’s nothing prohibiting baristas from backup cashiering as long as there’s at least one working in starbucks at all times.

As a Food Service TL, I can tell you it's not in Starbucks Barista core roles to backup cashier, and there is no way in hell the front end is taking my Baristas to do so. Even if they don't have Guests, there are so many things that we have to do to keep the area food safe, that there's never enough downtime where you can just "take" a barista. And if that was (miraculously) all clean, then we're supposed to sample and engage with Guests to increase our capture rate. They are not in proper dress code to be on the floor, even. It's like trying to pull pharmacy techs to backup cashier.

As a Food Service TL, I can tell you it's not in Starbucks Barista core roles to backup cashier, and there is no way in hell the front end is taking my Baristas to do so. Even if they don't have Guests, there are so many things that we have to do to keep the area food safe, that there's never enough downtime where you can just "take" a barista. And if that was (miraculously) all clean, then we're supposed to sample and engage with Guests to increase our capture rate. They are not in proper dress code to be on the floor, even. It's like trying to pull pharmacy techs to backup cashier.

"All other duties based on business needs"

the alternative to Starbucks choosing not to support my Service and Engagement team is my Service and Engagement team not supporting Starbucks. when my Starbucks team calls for a backup, i send them a backup. that would very quickly stop if they weren't going to help my team out when we're slammed. good luck getting a response from the GM team to ring orders at Starbucks, lol.

also, the only job description that lists backup cashier as an actual core role is GM Expert. are you saying that ONLY GM Experts should be responding for backups now? who cares if there's people in Style, ONLY the GM job description says they have to backup.... 🙄

Why do you feel the entirety of the store is there to serve you, not work on all the other things needing to be done in the store?

Why are you not capable of making things work only with the resources given, when the rest of the store has to do so? Why do you feel you should be exempt from making do with only your share of the hours pie?

Why do you feel the entirety of the store is there to serve you, not work on all the other things needing to be done in the store?

Why are you not capable of making things work only with the resources given, when the rest of the store has to do so? Why do you feel you should be exempt from making do with only your share of the hours pie?
[/QUOTE
Only cause I feel it is completely INNEFICIENT to push into an on going cluster fuck and make it worse and to back stock stuff that will need to be pulled in a few hours to be re-pushed.

These poor DBOs are taking the time to open a box, find locations, seeing them full, back stocking , and after we set the aisle the capacity is changed and the item needs to be pushed out again. I seriously just think we are handling the same box too many times ! Pallet after pallet they try every box, some clog up the aisles while the rest gets back stocked just to come out in autofills the next morning.

Because running the register is literally the only essential task in any store. People don't come to Target to buy merchandise. They come to walk through the checklanes and hand their unwanted money to a cashier while making friendly conversation.

Edit: OK, maybe that's a BIT of an oversimplification. Guests are also looking for the joy of life.

Last edited:

if you’re going to address me, @ me next time. but i’m done talking in circle with you. go back, reread the posts that i’ve written (if you are even able to read?), and then come back.

or don’t, your opinion is irrelevant to me anyway. 💁‍♀️

This whole exchange illustrates exactly why modernization doesn't work. The leaders are best served to blatantly disregard the rest of the store for their "area." My store is particularly cut throat about it. If a leader is not in the building then that team is immediately pulled to work on projects for whatever leader(s) are in the building.

Because running the register is literally the only essential task in any store. People don't come to Target to buy merchandise. They come to walk through the checklanes and hand their unwanted money to a cashier while making friendly conversation.

Edit: OK, maybe that's a BIT of an oversimplification. Guests are also looking for the joy of life.
As brick and mortar retail becomes more, and more automated, which area do you think will be the first to go?

Not the schleps stocking the shelves from the truck or backroom. It will be the front end. We already have SCO and Amazon stores have no check out.

We may all be enventaly replaced, but the writing on the wall says front end has less time than the rest of us.

As brick and mortar retail becomes more, and more automated, which area do you think will be the first to go?

Not the schleps stocking the shelves from the truck or backroom. It will be the front end. We already have SCO and Amazon stores have no check out.

We may all be enventaly replaced, but the writing on the wall says front end has less time than the rest of us.
Not to mention that SFS sales bypass cashiers entirely.

I think it's pretty simple. Not having to wait in long lines is Target brand. Like it or not, it's why a lot of people chose to come to Target instead of going to WalMart. It's who we are as a store and a big part of our niche. Everyone needs to take it seriously and be willing to back up. (OK. OK. I'm immune from hopping on actual registers unless ePick is down, but I help cut lines at the SD and always responded to guest first when I was GM.) If TLs and ETLs don't like having their TMs pulled to the lanes, they can do what mine do and hop on themselves instead. It's annoying, I know. And, plenty of front end people need to be willing to let the lines go just a wee bit longer. It needs to be done though. Just the way it is. TLs and ETLs who have TMs who can't finish their tasks because of getting pulled to the front need to document that in their emails so the SD and above can work on more adequately staffing the front during peak times.

This whole exchange illustrates exactly why modernization doesn't work. The leaders are best served to blatantly disregard the rest of the store for their "area." My store is particularly cut throat about it. If a leader is not in the building then that team is immediately pulled to work on projects for whatever leader(s) are in the building.

This is definitely a true statement. Now that there is only 3 GMTLs in the whole building, they all go for self survival. Everyone is trying to get their jobs done and there is no more working together because modernization has put so much on their plate, they basically can’t help each other or risk falling behind in their job duties. It’s sad to see no more teamwork. Rather all you see now is a free for all environment where everyone is just trying to stay a float and dreading the 4th quarter.

Back