MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Was the Sun Squad and ODL clearance an absolute shitshow at anyone else's store? We're like 2 days behind with our BTS set solely because none of the clearance was ever ticketed or even activated, and so the POG team has had to spend most of their time marking and remerching clearance instead of, you know, actually setting. Especially Sun Squad, which was overpriced to begin with, and should have been marked down like a week sooner.

What a nightmare.
PLU would have been nice but since some was carry over...shit show created

Was the Sun Squad and ODL clearance an absolute shitshow at anyone else's store? We're like 2 days behind with our BTS set solely because none of the clearance was ever ticketed or even activated, and so the POG team has had to spend most of their time marking and remerching clearance instead of, you know, actually setting. Especially Sun Squad, which was overpriced to begin with, and should have been marked down like a week sooner.

What a nightmare.
It was at mine, that’s for sure. I’m a GM TL and the former POG/Pricing TL at my store. Here’s my breakdown of the issues my team and I have had with the BTS set this year:

1. Clearance and timing on the clearance markdowns has been absolutely ridiculous. We just did the second markdown of all the ODL and Sun Squad stuff as we set BTS at the same time this week. Not ideal. We have massive amounts of it left that we had to consolidate as well (mostly to BTC areas because it’s mostly represented in dual locations anyway and easier to set as it sells down in a week or two). The fact that it just went to 50% the week of the BTS set is just terrible planning though. You’re not selling that stuff at only 30% off and thus stuck with colossal amounts to move when setting a complicated and massive area too.

2. Bullseye went salvage too.... after it only reached 50% off. We had tons of it left to process out. That stuff only really starts to move after it reaches 70 or 90% off. Tons of vehicles clogging up crucial areas till we could get rid of it.

3. Per usual, they screwed up the signing and shippers. They sent extra bins we didn’t need and not enough of a variety that we did need. Makes for a fun type of improv when trying to figure out how to keep the BTS product organized without the right type of bin.

4. The equipment and software..... I can’t even tell you the amount of times that MyDevices just go haywire lately. Not backstocking, screens of gibberish, kicking you out of functions, not printing PA labels... it’s just an endless list of middle fingers to anyone attempting to do things efficiently and correctly.

I think I’ll mostly get it all done (if more random vehicles of BTS/Stationary don’t just appear out of nowhere like they usually do this time of year, especially the repack ones). The sorted transition is fairly manageable and I’m lucky enough to have a good and experienced crew.... for now. And I stress that last part because I think the current workloads will create serious turnover with even the best of workers. I’ve seen it start already.... and trying to explain to anyone at a high level as to why a lot of these new processes are not a realistic way or practical way of running things.... is like talking to a wall. A smarmy, self righteous, and apathetic one at that.

Last edited:

What a nightmare.
Yes. I'm front end, and none of it was marked. I just gave 50% off and hoped I was right.

What a nightmare.
My store exactly. Too much stuff, everywhere. No space for it. Spent SO MUCH time moving it out of the way. Freakin Salvage pergola still on floor cause no one will unassemble it to take it down. COULD have sold it one day....but no, cause ‘sorry guest, we can’t take it apart .... this week !” Valley full of clearance that we can’t set til it salvages the week AFTER set WAS due !

Did 4th of July bullseye stuff go straight salvage? I had a guest try to return items using her cc and no luck. Tried to do an ID return and every dcpi said item not on file. Couldn’t even find using the price change button.

Did 4th of July bullseye stuff go straight salvage? I had a guest try to return items using her cc and no luck. Tried to do an ID return and every dcpi said item not on file. Couldn’t even find using the price change button.
Just salvaged in our store today

What a nightmare.
Yep, same situation at our store.

rog the dog

TV Wall Guy
Haven’t heard anything about it. Your store is saying a phase 3 is coming?
Maybe phase 3 is “psych, fooled ya” and put everything back the way it was. Lol
Considering they put every presentation team member back in their former role and made presentation a thing again, I feel like this is closer to reality than we might think lmao.

Heard a rumor that more stockroom changes are coming soon. Anybody know anything about branding your stockroom aisles?
I think we already started this which is ridiculous and seems to have few if any benefits to most departments. Dividing each 4 foot section of the chemical backroom aisle into types of cleaner is a waste of time. 4 feet of floor cleaner. 4 feet of air fresheners. Etc.

Heard a rumor that more stockroom changes are coming soon. Anybody know anything about branding your stockroom aisles?
My backroom aisles have always been divided my dept/class. I like it for pog fills, and when pulling batches, it’s easier to organize on the tub. I feel it’s more efficient. So when I pull grc 1, all my peanut butter ends up on the tub together, then condiments, dressing, etc. makes it that much easier when pushing.

Sloth

Market
My backroom aisles have always been divided my dept/class. I like it for pog fills, and when pulling batches, it’s easier to organize on the tub. I feel it’s more efficient. So when I pull grc 1, all my peanut butter ends up on the tub together, then condiments, dressing, etc. makes it that much easier when pushing.
So when you get more than one section worth of freight for peanut butter, where do you put it?

We tried this a while back and it didn't work out well. We also had one section for peanut butter and jam, but we had too much peanut butter and jam and as a result, each WACO had 7+ DPCIs in it, often with 2-3 kinds of peanut butter or jam that looked exactly the same, but had different DPCIs. This led to our BRLA plummeting, TMs getting angry at being coached for finding errors, and eventually backstocking the peanut butter and jam in different sections with empty WACOs to keep things more organized -- so kind of the opposite of what the branding was meant to achieve.

You get different amounts of freight for things throughout the year. That's just retail. Demand changes, and so must supply to match it. So you're either going to have sections that are jammed full of product to keep with branding, causing errors all the while, or you're going to have to constantly change sections around to match the amount of freight you get, which is, frankly, a waste of time.

Or for the chemicals example, our air freshener freight is constantly going up and down, depending on the season. Outside of that, we could fit it all into one, maybe two sections. But when we start getting more seasonal freight, we need double the amount of space for it all. So where do we put it? It won't fit in the existing section, and all the other sections are already taken. Do we put it in the next section over? Then we fill it up, and when we get freight specifically for that section, there's no room for it all.

It's a decent idea on paper, but we have no control over how much product we see in the backroom. It isn't like the floor, where we can set capacities and thresholds. The backroom is for excess, and you just can't control how much excess you're going to have. So how on Earth do you set aside specific sections, each with their own capacity, for random, uncontrollable excess freight?

When we do pulls, we have a U-boat with 3 shelves and a bunch of repacks. We sort when we pull. Peanut butter and jam? Goes in repack #1. Baking soda, flour, etc.. ? Repack #2. Noodles? Repack #3. It doesn't take anymore time to do it this way, and the end result is the exact same as what you're doing -- but I'm willing to bet we get through our backstock much quicker since we can throw product wherever there is space for it.

Last edited:
I think we already started this which is ridiculous and seems to have few if any benefits to most departments. Dividing each 4 foot section of the chemical backroom aisle into types of cleaner is a waste of time. 4 feet of floor cleaner. 4 feet of air fresheners. Etc.
We had been subdividing aisles of our stockroom for many many years. It works pretty well when properly executed as it saved a ton of time. By keeping all the floor cleaners together in the stockroom, it means they will be pulled together in autofills/CAFs/etc and thereby placed together on a cart. This reduces the amount of walking back and worth when working the pull on the floor.

Literally the first thing I did when I became backroom TL in 2003 was subdivide the grocery backroom aisles. Prior to taking the position, the grocery stockroom was 10 aisles of everything jumbled together regardless of fill group. Me and the ETL-Logistics spent a full week purging and sorting it into the layout I had proposed. It worked so well, we started doing it to the rest of the stockroom (where feasible).

So when you get more than one section worth of freight for peanut butter, where do you put it?
We would use nearby space until we had spare time to adjust the sections dedicated to different items. Of course, the days of having payroll to use on housekeeping projects is long gone.

Pulling will be easier when you have all the exact same looking product mixed together in backroom locations. Modernization logic
Customize the profile in a way that helps prevent exact same looking product from being backstocked together. When I subdivided the grocery stockroom, I changed the profiles in a way that was VERY different from what the company said the profile should be. The profile for the grocery stockroom in 2003 was completely stupid and didn't have near enough wacos for the loose stock and we had a ton of wasted space for case stock. On top of that, half of the waco space was using 12 in waco boxes and that doesn't work for the number of small items in grocery.

Pay attention when backstocking. If you have to put more than 1 DPCI in a waco, make sure you don't put the exact same brand of goods together (like Del Monte canned corn with Del Monte canned peas) and use items that are easily distinguishable at a glance (different sizes, brands, etc).

Last edited:

Sloth

Market
Customize the profile in a way that helps prevent exact same looking product from being backstocked together.
Under branding, all like-wise product is supposed to be together. All soup in one area, for example. If you're dividing by section, you're either going to have too much space or too little. Too little, and other sections will suffer. Too much, and you won't be able to keep each WACO limited to just 2-3 DPCIs -- which has always been best practice. If you go WACOs up to the ceiling, you'll have space, but I would hate that in market. Any WACO that is over my head is dangerous. It limits how much I can pull at once, given I have to use the ladder, and it makes auditing that location several times more difficult. It's why I put so much effort into keeping a balance between openstock and casepacks. It's so much easier to store simple boxes in the back than it is to store openstock product. You can bring a box full of 12/24 different things down a ladder in one go, but it'll take multiple trips if you're attempting to bring down 12/24 glass bottles.

The best example of branding not working is softlines. Brand and colors are supposed to be together, so you end up with WACOs full of product that looks exactly the same. If you're not paying attention to size, you're going to mess everything up. It just takes 1 person to break that process. But if you backstock different colors/brands together in one WACO, you'll never mistake them for being the same, even if you had 100 DPCIs. No one is going to grab a red shirt thinking it's a black shirt, but people will always grab a small black shirt thinking it's a medium black shirt.

If we had more control over what we received, yeah. This would be great. But we don't have that kind of control, where we know we'll always just have 10-15 extra cans of a specific type of soup in the backroom. I can pull up our entire inventory and find hundreds, if not thousands of instances where our OH count is much greater than our OTL, more than one or two casepacks worth of extra freight.

Anything we do on our end is going to be a waste of time. Rather, it's going to cost more time than what we're able to spend because there are more important things taking that time instead. This all needs to be fixed at the source first. DCs need to be fixed first and stores need to be given greater control over their inventory.

Last edited:
If we had more control over what we received, yeah. This would be great. But we don't have that kind of control, where we know we'll always just have 10-15 extra cans of a specific type of soup in the backroom. I can pull up our entire inventory and find hundreds, if not thousands of instances where our OH count is much greater than our OTL, more than one or two casepacks worth of extra freight.

Anything we do on our end is going to be a waste of time. Rather, it's going to cost more time than what we're able to spend because there are more important things taking that time instead. This all needs to be fixed at the source first. DCs need to be fixed first and stores need to be given greater control over their inventory.
I wholeheartedly agree. I've complained several times on here and probably hundreds of times while I worked for Target that the logistics process would be FAR more efficient if we stopped overloading stores with junk we don't need. I'll repost a couple of my experiences below:

Contrast this with a real life example of our current system. I received 30 bikes of just 1 DPCI during the holiday season. Ok, it's the holidays and it's going in the ad. It's a little ambitious as we've never sold that many of that particular bike before in previous seasons but whatever. Our bike builder makes sure to display them prominently and...only slightly more sales than usual. Than we find out we're the only store in our district to even receive them. A major metroplex and 1 store gets 30 ad bikes and everyone else has to tell prospective buyers to drive to us?

As a result, we sold about half of them and it took the entire following year to sell the rest (while still getting them in from the DC). How many bikes would have been sold if they had allocated the available stock in a way that wasn't stupid? How many people said "screw driving halfway across the city, I'll just get a bike from Wal-Mart instead"?
The absolute worst example I can think of is canned vegetables at my store. One year, we received 4 pallets of assorted canned Del-Monte for the holidays. That by itself is no big deal, it's the holiday season and we can expect to sell those. In the latter half of the season, they kept coming in and replenishing those sales and we still had 3 pallets total by the end of January. That by itself should be no big deal. Using a replenishment system that wasn't retarded, we should be able to make sure our o/h counts stayed up to date and sell through them eventually without further replenishment from the DC. After all, if you have literally 1500 cans of cut green beans in location and the o/h is accurate, obviously the system should take that into account right?

Nope. They kept fucking coming in all year; faster than we could sell them. By the next holiday season, we had 4 pallets of vegetables in location and received another 4 for the holiday allocation. We had tried multiple times to sweep them back but couldn't. Since they came in as palletized assortments, they didn't come with the original plastic wrap that the casepacks do. They came in as loose traypacks arranged on the pallet which was then shrink-wrapped. Since sweeps required all original case packaging, they got sent right back. It took our regional VP showing up and actually looking in the backroom for more than 30 seconds to make it stop.
I've said many times that the first step of Modernization should have been fixing the amount of freight sent to stores. If I have 30 boxes of 1 DPCI of cereal and we get a truck every single day, there's almost no reason I should be receiving another case until I sell most of that 30. Period.