MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
i think i know how to run my store, thanks. starbucks peak and target peak happen at different times in my store.

i'm the only TL in my building who has completed barista basics and is certified, so with the amount of time that i spend backing up Starbucks and supporting their business they can come cashier for 10 minutes.

So wait.. You can't hop on a register but you can go back up at Starbucks? So much that you'd use the phrase "with the amount of time..."?

Again, SETLs should be backing up on lanes. While the new structure is being resisted by some, it's so much better because every person in front now actually is focused on guests. You are either checking them out, doing returns, working at SCO or giving breaks. We are running our own breaks off the grid, getting our own money, making those decisions to override without managers.

The only issue is when we are busy and SETL turns off walkie and wont come out of back to help. And I see they have already stopped doing that. The other issue is AP, which has decided to hyper-focus on front end. I think that nonsense will be short lived. For goodness sakes, we aren't going back to fighting with guests over a dollar coupon, AP.

But I digress....haha.

The system before talked guests first but too many many hours were devoted to micromanaging. Now, get your fanny on a lane and help the guests.

We are already seeing a marked improvement in satisfaction. Compliments are coming in. Guests are happier. It's the smartest move yet by Target.

So wait.. You can't hop on a register but you can go back up at Starbucks? So much that you'd use the phrase "with the amount of time..."?

when did i ever say i don’t hop on a lane? how about you don’t put words in my mouth, thanks.

I feel like Target sees that the process isn’t working as well as they thought but just won’t admit it because they put in a lot of money to create and implement this process. I believe they came up with this process not for a more efficient way of running the sales floor but rather because they knew that they would implement substantial pay raises throughout the years adding more work to less team members helps keep their profits the same. In theory, this works but when this process impedes sales, then you are back to square one and it’s foreseeable that profits could take a substantial loss. Cutting hours, having less employees, and adding more workload to those remaining employees sounds like a good idea on paper but in the real Target world, things can backfire and take a downward spiral very fast.
It feels like this ops model was created in a bubble where everything is perfect and unlimited. No such thing as a load shifting or a case breaking to unlimited space on uboats to sort by section to the phone never ringing or guests on the floor. It's great in theory but never quite works in practice.

The other issue is AP, which has decided to hyper-focus on front end. I think that nonsense will be short lived. For goodness sakes, we aren't going back to fighting with guests over a dollar coupon, AP.

Our AP people are all over the store. I know all of them have pedometers (have asked them, since I recently got a pedometer app) and they're constantly moving unless they stop to have a quick chat with someone or talk about some suspicious guest or something.

It feels like this ops model was created in a bubble where everything is perfect and unlimited. No such thing as a load shifting or a case breaking to unlimited space on uboats to sort by section to the phone never ringing or guests on the floor. It's great in theory but never quite works in practice.
I still think that TPTB (The Powers That Be) are trying to tank Target because there's money to be made if it stumbles and loses value - property could be bought on the cheap, same with product, tax reduction from a loss, no doubt other things.

But maybe someone high up sees an opening for more money in a different way - if Target falters and at least part of it is due to modernization practices, then someone who helped design modernization can negotiate a fat paycheck with the promise of increasing Target's value, knowing that reversing standard orders to the old way will likely fulfill that promise with no real effort and minimal risk.

I still think that TPTB (The Powers That Be) are trying to tank Target because there's money to be made if it stumbles and loses value - property could be bought on the cheap, same with product, tax reduction from a loss, no doubt other things.

But maybe someone high up sees an opening for more money in a different way - if Target falters and at least part of it is due to modernization practices, then someone who helped design modernization can negotiate a fat paycheck with the promise of increasing Target's value, knowing that reversing standard orders to the old way will likely fulfill that promise with no real effort and minimal risk.
Your cynicism is spot on pardon the pun. I hope I’m wrong.

Now show us that Guest Advocate/Service Advocate description for the same pay tia
Yeah because during dead times they cannot do anything but twiddle thumbs. They can’t check outdates on food/candy zone nothing to help HL so why does HL have to go backup it should work both ways

Y
We pull our auto like usual. Then, each day we pick a new shelf in the backroom and scan each item. If the on floor and backroom counts don't equal the on hand, then we pull that item and fill the floor to capacity, update SFQ, then backstock any remaining. This is to take priority regardless of truck push
my district does this but it’s called data fixing

The problem with this is Target leases a lot of their buildings and parking lots. So the value of an empty building isn’t worth all that much to them. BUT maybe they can negotiate a lower lease if there is a threat to them staying open? I’m sure the property owners would rather have someone paying versus a closed building which generates no income for them..

You're right, probably not. But there is still the question of why all the changes leading to empty shelves, online orders only partially filled, and guest annoyance are being done when it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell all these outcomes are going to be detrimental to Target's pocketbook in the long run.

In a time when every retailer is crumbling and closing target continues to open stores and make more and more money every year. I don’t think we’re going anywhere any time soon. I don’t think they’re investing 7 billion dollars to tank the company

What does that have to do with insider trading? This case is less like Toys R Us and more like Enron. Companies can show or appear to show profits while hiding other shenanigans, if they are so inclined (it's a free country, you don't have to stay out of federal prison if you don't want to). The company execs have demonstrated very handily that they view TGT as a mutual fund with a logo instead of an actual retailer. It's pretty inarguable that their behavior and decision-making are not those of people who care what happens on the retail side in 5 years.

What does that have to do with insider trading? This case is less like Toys R Us and more like Enron. Companies can show or appear to show profits while hiding other shenanigans, if they are so inclined (it's a free country, you don't have to stay out of federal prison if you don't want to). The company execs have demonstrated very handily that they view TGT as a mutual fund with a logo instead of an actual retailer. It's pretty inarguable that their behavior and decision-making are not those of people who care what happens on the retail side in 5 years.

Like politics, the higher people go in the corporate world, the more pressure there seems to be to compromise any morals they might have had.

It's just a thought, I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat. But if you could see a simple way to hobble the workers enough to slowly decrease profits in the long run (more than a couple quarters) and can easily reverse that hobbling to make the company more profitable, it would be tempting to buy and sell stocks/tangible goods when you have a good idea as to the high and low and a gradual up and down would make it harder for regulators to notice and prove.

It's just a thought, I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat. But if you could see a simple way to hobble the workers enough to slowly decrease profits in the long run (more than a couple quarters) and can easily reverse that hobbling to make the company more profitable, it would be tempting to buy and sell stocks/tangible goods when you have a good idea as to the high and low and a gradual up and down would make it harder for regulators to notice and prove.

When I think of the word "hobble," all I can picture is the scene from "Misery" where she hobbles the author by breaking his ankles. Please don't break my ankles Brian!

Back