MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I roll with the punches. The only stress I feel is the stress I put on myself, and I'm doing much better at letting stuff go. Perhaps I am blessed with decent leadership, but I don't feel pressured, and never felt like anyone was breathing down my neck, never felt that I didn't do enough or that leadership feels that I don't do enough.

Not sure if other stores have started this new process yet, but its working wonders now. Sort team is now 5-6 people who work 6-1:30pm and unload truck, and then push as much freight as they can until they leave. Weve been doing it for about 2 weeks now, and were getting to where theyre doing atleast 75% of the GM truck, although my store is a big grocery store. We call it the "Swat Team", although its basically a mini flow team. Its given the DBOs more time to actually get workload, brand, fill done now. Today my Chem/Pet/Paper guy didnt have to push a single thing off the truck and was able to get his revisions caught up. Tomorrow we start draining the back room with 1 to 1 pulls. It sounds like they may be rolling this out to everyone soon.
I roll with the punches. The only stress I feel is the stress I put on myself, and I'm doing much better at letting stuff go. Perhaps I am blessed with decent leadership, but I don't feel pressured, and never felt like anyone was breathing down my neck, never felt that I didn't do enough or that leadership feels that I don't do enough.
Same here! The stress I felt each day when I didn’t make my numbers when I worked commissioned retail was exhausting. This is much more manageable.

I am John wick just cut me loose on the young punks I gotta work with and cut me or shoot at me or piss me off a little more or fuck with my dog and c how u like me now......merry fuckin xxxmas !!!!!

There's always OT if you know where to look
poopingat-work-took-longerthan-expected-overtime-100-funny-work-memes-52031418.png

Well, I survived this year relatively okay, but of my entire front end (S&E) with the recent departure of one of our GSTLs (or excuse me "SETLs) I'm one of the two longest-serving TMs in S&E. This isn't my primary career, but I'm chagrined that I've lasted and I actually enjoyed working this holiday Christmas season more than any in the past. With the big typical January cut in hours, this is a good time to refocus my energies on landing a better-paying job - probably not retail - and taking pride that I've actually enjoyed my work recently in spite of losing so many co-workers. My store has probably navigated the modernization somewhat better than some stores others here have mentioned. (PS I really liked the SETL who left after many years, they left an imprint on me and they have exited Tar-jay for pursuits in a different line of work.)

After having my hours cut from an average of 36-38 hours, down to 20-25, I'm looking for another job. I'm the most skilled in the front of store, despite only being there about 6 months. I am an excellent customer service TM, able to calm the angriest "Karen", and can work the POS better than anyone else, and gets the most RedCards. However, HR ETL gave everyone in S&E some schpeil about "5 hours shifts makes for better customer experience" claiming that 7-8 hour shifts cause TM's "to not be as cheery and energetic" when it comes to dealing with guests because of "fatigue". Oh, and then the GSA TL likes to harrass us about RedCard goals, and says that everyone is expected to get a RedCard per shift "or else". He expects us to keep pitching the RedCards until we get "3 no's" or he claims we aren't trying hard enough. These seasonal hires are thrown on registers with just the minimal training, and then TM's like me are expected to supplement their training, because I'm one of the people everyone seems to ask for help from. On top of that, our SD wants to keep changing things at the GS counter, with annoying micromanaging. Stuff like; separating go back bins for softlines into 4 bins instead of one. Tops and Dresses, Bottoms and undies, shoes, and accessories. He wants us to keep the back of GS clear, but we aren't allowed to do RTS anymore. So we need to wait until OPU comes to clear it. It's wacky. And every hour, he wants us to run a flat to the back for salvage, defective etc., because he doesn't want it sitting in the back for too long. And the entire FOS got coached by the AP ETL about SCO, because on top of needing to pitch RedCards and Circle to SCO guests, we are supposed to scan all big ticket items (spidered or not), and LISA and BOB on top of everything else. GSA ETL even wants us to offer to bag SCO guests items, also encouraged by AP so that we can better keep an eye out for theft or tag switching.

It's like in the past month, the SD and the ETL's have gone wacky, and can't decide what procedure is procedure anymore.

I do think that the purpose of these 5 hour shifts is so they don't have to pay for a second break. Had a few long time TM's from the front peace out already, more like me who are getting other jobs, and just using Target to pivot. Meanwhile, everyday their hiring more TM's. We are doing 3 orientations a week right now. Some of these new hires and seasonals are working only 10 hours a week.

Chunk, the situation your store is facing would definitely be a concern. It sounds as though your SD and ETLs are under pressure from district to improve your store's metrics, and the pressure is being placed on your team, with a number of time-intensive tasks and responsibilities along with ever-greater pressure to generate RCs. No job is totally secure in this day and age, and you are wise to start job searching. Any one of us here who is currently having an okay experience at our store could one day show up and start finding that
the SD and the ETL's have gone wacky, and can't decide what procedure is procedure anymore.
Thanks for being such a positive contributor to Target, and I earnestly hope your talents and patience are more richly valued and appreciated in the future.

HR ETL gave everyone in S&E some schpeil about "5 hours shifts makes for better customer experience" claiming that 7-8 hour shifts cause TM's "to not be as cheery and energetic" when it comes to dealing with guests because of "fatigue".
This is corporate bs wth a kool-aid chaser. Spot likes to keep hours low, stringing two TMs along on four hour shifts seems preferable to them to having one TM get eight hour shifts. Leaders don’t have to plan for lunch breaks or second breaks, and it’s impossible to qualify for benefits on four hour shifts. Spot also thinks that giving few hours to many TMs gives them a larger “ready reserve” to draw from when it gets busy, never seeming to realize that most of these folks by necessity leave for other jobs long before the next busy season arrives. Training costs for the revolving door of personnel are apparently cheaper than paying for benefits.🙄

Back