2023 New pilots?

Each tm responsible for more
God do I HATE this. Every day they're like "okay everyone up here has to know how to do EVERYTHING up front, everyone's going to spend an hour at GS, etc"

They'll send me to do something, then 3 seconds later pull me back to do cashiering, then once the rush is down back to whatever, then maybe I'll get some of it done, then cashiering for the rest of the day, or maybe cashiering and then GS --

I'd really like to do one thing and have that be all, all day, so I have SOME idea of what the day will look like. So I can mentally prepare. But I utter the slightest complaint about being pulled in 50 directions and I get talked to in the office. I have a hard time getting focused to begin with and it's near impossible when I get pulled to do one thing and not even three minutes later get pulled for something else, repeat ad nauseum.

God do I HATE this. Every day they're like "okay everyone up here has to know how to do EVERYTHING up front, everyone's going to spend an hour at GS, etc"

They'll send me to do something, then 3 seconds later pull me back to do cashiering, then once the rush is down back to whatever, then maybe I'll get some of it done, then cashiering for the rest of the day, or maybe cashiering and then GS --

I'd really like to do one thing and have that be all, all day, so I have SOME idea of what the day will look like. So I can mentally prepare. But I utter the slightest complaint about being pulled in 50 directions and I get talked to in the office. I have a hard time getting focused to begin with and it's near impossible when I get pulled to do one thing and not even three minutes later get pulled for something else, repeat ad nauseum.
This is one of my pet peeves. This contributes to the lack of accountability. It disenfranchises tm's from having any sense of ownership over their work and one never goes home having felt that they actually accomplished anything.

one never goes home having felt that they actually accomplished anything.
And more often, feeling they've done everything wrong. No matter what you do, a manager will find fault with it.

Pushing candy so you aren't just standing there? Why weren't you ready when a guest came into your line? You need to be paying attention to guests coming into your line!

Pushing candy while manning SCO? We need to be paying attention to the lines so no one's stealing!

Paying attention to the SCO? You need to keep busy! Push candy!

Did you talk to the cashier on 1? Clearly you should go do candy or bullseye, and Cashier 1 should do SCO. Wait, why are the lines backing up???

You talk to the guests, make conversation? You're doing it too much.

Quiet down? You're not talking enough. We need to make the guests feel welcome here!

Go do reshop! Wait, we need you back! Stay on a register!

Be happier! Smile more!

I am never going to be able to do anything right, so I do just enough to not get fired.

And more often, feeling they've done everything wrong. No matter what you do, a manager will find fault with it.

Pushing candy so you aren't just standing there? Why weren't you ready when a guest came into your line? You need to be paying attention to guests coming into your line!

Pushing candy while manning SCO? We need to be paying attention to the lines so no one's stealing!

Paying attention to the SCO? You need to keep busy! Push candy!

Did you talk to the cashier on 1? Clearly you should go do candy or bullseye, and Cashier 1 should do SCO. Wait, why are the lines backing up???

You talk to the guests, make conversation? You're doing it too much.

Quiet down? You're not talking enough. We need to make the guests feel welcome here!

Go do reshop! Wait, we need you back! Stay on a register!

Be happier! Smile more!

I am never going to be able to do anything right, so I do just enough to not get fired.
Are you for real? Because that’s just crazy

We've been doing that for way more then a year. No DBOs since before 4th quarter last year. It's more flexible for how the work is accomplished. I would of preffered the dbo system if there was enough hours to accomplish lh the tasks everyday.

We've been doing that for way more then a year. No DBOs since before 4th quarter last year. It's more flexible for how the work is accomplished. I would of preffered the dbo system if there was enough hours to accomplish lh the tasks everyday.
My store, mostly, does pretty well with the DBO model and I'll be sad if it goes away. However, you're definitely right about needing more hours to accomplish tasks - I haven't caught a break with freight yet (OTC & Personal Care doesn't really change a lot seasonally like Toys and a few others). But my hours are cut, like everyone else's, so I barely get my push done and trash taken care of. No time for back stock (so others put things in weird places) or price change (so others make mistakes like a label for Dove deodorant put in front of Dove body wash - not helpful) or even zoning (my area looks trashed way too often but who has time to fix it?).
I like the DBO model because I like variety in my tasks, but without the hours, the variety kind of goes away. It's frustrating. Whatever they come up with will be different, but it'll still be frustrating, just in a different way. Sigh.

I remember when Modernization got rolling, they claimed DBOs would be getting the hours needed to complete tasks. 7-8 hour shifts, a lot of mids, so that closing team should only have to touch-up zone and keep up on reshop. DBOs were to get at least 30 hours a week.

In Style, it worked for a brief time in RTW, BGI, and Shoes - never really got rolling in any other departments. Once hours got cut bad after Christmas 2021, it was never the same and our DBOs disappeared.

ETA: I think I like task-oriented teams better than the DBO model. It's honestly less stressful for individual TMs. I wouldn't mind having several tasks on my plate if I were a lead, but as a regular TM not getting full time hours, focusing on one or two tasks is more than enough.

Last edited:
The way we do PROCESSES changes every few years - always on the lookout for HOW to get the tasks done with LESS payroll.
I get it, less COST, more PROFIT.

Does anyone ever look at the WHO instead of the HOW ????
We have lost SO MANY good workers and replaced them with…(hey, sorry to say): lazy and downright unintelligent new tm’s.

follow me on this…..
A GOOD tm can get a LOT of work done…..however you have them do it.
An ineffective tm will never get it done………however you have them do it.

can someone please look into WHO we are hiring instead of HOW we are having people do the tasks ???

I may have selective memory but I believe our employee pool when I was hired in 2007 was better than I see in stores today.
and the tm’s that are STILL with us from those days are some of the best in the store. (some, there ARE exceptions).
yet, longevity/experience is not valued.

Last edited:
I’m a DBO in P-Fresh (Former PA) and I can’t see my role going away since our coolers are tight and the work needs to get done. If we wave things out many team members wouldn’t rotate product. I believe that PA’s technically never really went away since my workload is the same. I’m still discounting meat and produce and ordering. I love being a DBO who takes ownership in his work but I think too many people just aren’t dedicated and no call no show which means the work doesn’t get done. For example, “Jimmy isn’t here today so I guess Pets isn’t getting pushed since he’s the DBO”.

I may have selective memory but I believe our employee pool when I was hired in 2007 was better than I see in stores today.
and the tm’s that are STILL with us from those days are some of the best in the store. (some, there ARE exceptions).
yet, longevity/experience is not valued.
Being a good worker only got people more work. The pandemic killed off a bunch of people, forced others to retire, and Target keeps piling more and more on those that remain.

It turns good workers into ineffective ones because nothing is ever enough. Work only gets me more work - and I'll never get more than a 30 cent raise every year.

Tell me - WHY should I go above and beyond when I receive nothing in return for it?

That is correct . We started before q4 , the rollout will be in March .
What does that look like on a daily basis for TL's that are GM and not inbound? How are the processes broken up? Did you gain ETL's with this program? How are hours? Are they more, less or about the same for tm's? Is it still based off sales?

What does that look like on a daily basis for TL's that are GM and not inbound? How are the processes broken up? Did you gain ETL's with this program? How are hours? Are they more, less or about the same for tm's? Is it still based off sales?
The gm tls take cares of the zones and workload and there’s still tm during the day to focus on zone, returns and guest . We always had plenty of etl but we did gain one more so now 11 don’t ask what the 11th one does 😂 Inbound gets more hours since they own the push as well as priorities but gm still gets about 2000h for the month .Hours are not going down everyone still get their 40s.

So the only real difference is tm's won't be strictly for 1 dept? TL's, with tm's, will still have areas to maintain the zone, pa, returns and salesplans? Inbound will still do push for an area but then move on to help others? While the backroom will do backstock and pulls?

I get this a lot. A lot of the time, I don't mind, but sometimes I feel like a damn ping pong ball. Some days, it can literally be every 5 minutes, I need to change my game. I've learned to see when this is coming. My ETL loves labels. I used to be assigned to cleaning. Now it is bagging or some other random tag

So the only real difference is tm's won't be strictly for 1 dept? TL's, with tm's, will still have areas to maintain the zone, pa, returns and salesplans? Inbound will still do push for an area but then move on to help others? While the backroom will do backstock and pulls?
My tl still assigns the tm to a department and who ever finishes first goes to help someone else . And yes we have a tm doing the pulls and backstock as well as a bulk/receiving . And we stayed overnight
As for pc our store hired a team just for price change about 7 months ago .So gm and specialty tl do saleplaners and revisions and make sure the brand maintains and are obsessed with the guest 😂

Last edited:
I believe it’s “piloting” process teams. I quote piloting because it’s just a essentially pre modernization. Backroom teams, zone teams, push teams, price/Plano teams. Not exactly like before and I’m sure new titles but essentially process teams is what certain districts are doing, no more dbo or TL are ownership instead a TL owns a process not an area and has tms that do the process. D121, 163, 202, 239, 315, 380, 431, 453
What are those numbers?

Back