Archived ageism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at our store. We have Team Members who are in their late 60's-70's. They have a much better work ethic than a lot of the young Team Members. Our ETL's are all around 50 years old.

Yup and when people apply you would know this we can't see their age.

Just for my own curiosity; how many new tl and above has anyone seen hired lately that was 50+? Or 40+?

We promoted a softlines tl who is 40 plus. To be honest we don't have many team lead applicants over 40.

I don't want to over generalize but we have a lot of older team members who don't want to deal with that kind of stress understandably

In my store the older employees are considerably the best ones, good attendance and reliable.

Tbh Spot doesn't care how old you are! They evaluate you on what you can do "well".
Spot may not but individual store management might. I have noticed that many of our "older" tm's have had hours cut to just under 30, which prohibits them from qualifying for insurance.

It's going on at my store. All the "old" Softlines flow team isn't allowed to push Softlines truck anymore because they aren't "fashionista" material. Their hours were cut in half.

One or two of our 'older' TLs are constantly looking over their shoulder.

Not at Spot but definitely 100% in the tech industry. Rampant there especially in the big firms. Spot:. Seems is a diff story of course, totally different industry.
Goes both ways, too as a younger person trying to get a job in IT.

Just let me get the carts, keep the store looking brand, and stay outta my way.

I've always thought Target had a lot of younger workers, but we do have older TMs. Two guys I'm with back in Frozen/Dairy are 50+ at least, and my TL is 29 lol. There's about 1 cashier about 50 years old, then two in their 50's and onto 60s. The other two I know of are 60+ and probably 65+. One of them went to cosmetics and helps out around the floor or doing signing shifts. The other one looks to have severe back issues, she's severely hunched over and needs to walk with a cane. She's really nice though, I love talking to her, and all of them. I haven't talked to one of them... whom is new, only about 30 days in.

Other than that, I can't really recall any older workers. Everyone else is either 35 or under.

EDIT: Agh just remembered a GSTL I have is at least 50, another GSTL is in her 40s.

Last edited:
She's really nice though, I love talking to her, and all of them

It creates a cool kind of family atmosphere. We have a friendly, good looking 19 year old tm from a bad home who has a total loser of a boyfriend.

One of our sixty something cashier's sat her down to warn her about men like him. I sincerely thought it was the greatest thing ever...

Last edited:
I know it happens. I haven't seen it . I am in my late 30s. So, to me that's not old but to someone who is 20 could be. MOST of our flow team is 25 and under and almost all of them...well they aren't the best tms. Doesn't have anything to do with age just has to do with their work ethic. We have a sales floor tm ( she was a former tl but stepped down) who is in her 70s she runs circles around the others. We have one flow team member who is almost 70. Works harder than the rest always willing to stay etc. So, I nthe end itsm ore about a persons mindset than their age .

It creates a cool kind of family atmosphere. We have a friendly, good looking 19 year old tm from a bad jome who has a total loser of a boyfriend.

One of our sixty something cashier's sat her down to warn her about men like him. I sincerely thought it was the greatest thing ever...
We had a 60 something lady on flow. She was the nicest person. I called her my work mom. She would always bake something for your birthday or sometimes just because . She also was known for giving "tough love" to some of the younger tms whether they wanted it or not . She retired several years ago but I still keep in touch. I send her a birthday and mothers day card every year.

Our cashiers are either very young, middle aged (40's) or on the verge of retirement. It's cool to watch the older workers mentor the younger group with the occasional well-intentioned lecture on work ethics. Seems to always do the trick. Overnight, it seems the older workers (50 y/o+) run rings around the 20 something's. Endless energy. At break they're all having a tea or coffee with fruit while energy drinks and salty cheesy poofs are the choice for the younger. Interesting dynamics

I'm starting to get kinda old.

12LpGu1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back