Archived ageism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at Spot but definitely 100% in the tech industry. Rampant there especially in the big firms. Spot:. Seems is a diff story of course, totally different industry.

aoO9KD2_700b.jpg

In my store the older employees are considerably the best ones, good attendance and reliable.

Tbh Spot doesn't care how old you are! They evaluate you on what you can do "well".

No not because of their age, their performance. Weve got quite a few over 60. Our oldest is 83 and she works on flow team....one of our faster workers! She gets no shame or grief about her performance! Lol weve got another whos in his 60s that just cant keep up and is constantly being dragged along by flow TL. So no, doesnt happen.

Of course age matters at Target,anyone that does not think so has blinkers on,it is one of our big weaknesses,treating older people in any kind of mgt position like they treat people with experience, as disposable,older managers are not "brand"

In my store the older employees are considerably the best ones, good attendance and reliable.

Tbh Spot doesn't care how old you are! They evaluate you on what you can do "well".

same at our store. The older ones are more reliable and work faster than the young 'uns. There are a couple of younger ones that do work hard, but they are few and far between.

I think in my store we might have a few leaders that are in their 30s,but none older then that,we expect our etl's to be full of enthusiasm and energy that only fresh faces can bring and that can't be maintained over the long term.The life of a tl is difficult,that of an etc much much harder not having the protection of a 40 hr work week.The turnover rate is insane for a company that puts itself forward as a caring corporation,in my store we are on our forth log etl in to short a period of time and this in a place where processes are pretty good,I pity the executive who work in difficult stores.What do I consider old really does not matter,I have worked in multiple stores,never worked with an etl/stl in their 5os probably few in their 40's but I have seen an small army of people with invaluable experience,some with 20 plus yrs of knowledge leave to be replaced by the new recruits.We are not on our last legs as a company,not by a long shot but we are in trouble,but all that experience we lost,we could sure do with it now because we are not going to be able to smile our way out of this.

No not because of their age, their performance. Weve got quite a few over 60. Our oldest is 83 and she works on flow team....one of our faster workers! She gets no shame or grief about her performance! Lol weve got another whos in his 60s that just cant keep up and is constantly being dragged along by flow TL. So no, doesnt happen.

Yeah we have a softlines tm who is 75 who does circles around our 18 year old H&M rejects.

Of course age matters at Target,anyone that does not think so has blinkers on,it is one of our big weaknesses,treating older people in any kind of mgt position like they treat people with experience, as disposable,older managers are not "brand"

I'm going to call b.s. on this. While most of my ETLs are young inexperienced people it's our team leads (who have a combined average age 35-40) who make our store go.

We have plenty of 70 year old cashier ladies who are treated well. Team leads who have been with the company 15 plus years.

Target may want young energetic ETLs but they know you can't run a successful store without seasoned veterans somewhere in leadership be it your stl, team leads. Etc.

Last edited:
I've never experienced it, myself. I was, initially concerned when I went in for my interview as I'd heard that Target only wants younger workers due to the need to keep up their image. At 37 I wasn't sure if I fit into that bracket, but, I didn't seem to have any trouble landing the job. I've also seen people much older than myself working in HR, Cashiering and other areas around the store, so, I can pretty confidently state that this probably is just all rumor. That being said, though, ASANTS. However, I seriously doubt any Target store in their right mind would turn someone down on age alone if they had the qualifications for the job.

Last edited:
Not at our store. We have Team Members who are in their late 60's-70's. They have a much better work ethic than a lot of the young Team Members. Our ETL's are all around 50 years old.

Not at my store. I don't care how old anyone is as long as they have a good work ethic. At this time, all of our leadership worked their way up. None of the young, right out of college mgmt lasted. They all left Target.

Never said there was an issue with elderly tms,we have many and most are excellent.

Only ageism I've noted is when a few of the older TMs were passed over for TL for younger TMs.
The last good GSTL we had was a woman in her 50s who had a quiet authority about her.
Since then we've had twenty-somethings who haven't even lasted a year (the last one didn't make it to 4 months!).
It's more than just energy level, you've got to be able to manage talent, drive your team & many of the youngsters they promoted simply didn't have the experience.
Some time ago we also had a bevy of young ETLs who delighted in ridiculing many of the older TMs until they were overheard by others; fortunately that group has moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back