Archived Anticipating a too-small raise - anything that can be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen people who got a $0.02 raise before. Reviews are a joke. I refused to sign mine last year, and disputed it all the way to the STL (oh, and my TL didn't write it, our former ETL-HL did, who was fired and gone by the time reviews were given, so my TL didn't think I deserved it either). The ETL-HR was new. The STL was new. There was no ETL-HL. My TL was new. I got completely screwed - and everyone I talked to (TLs) couldn't believe my score, but short of them going to bat for me unanimously I don't think it would have done anything.

I expect not to sign it this year as well. The one thing I know you cannot expect at my store is fairness.

Also - the review processes are jokes. JOKES. It is the absolute worst assessment system I have ever seen. If I knew who to write to at corporate about it, I would.

What happens if you dont sign it? Do you not get a raise or something? I have learned from here and from my 2 reviews that they are mostly bull**** and I get what I get. I always get the meets expectations which honestly working as a PA is as high as anyone can get. How can you go above expecations when expectations for your area and the store in general is so SKY HIGH that we are the model visit store in the area that the DTLs always love to bring Corp.

I remember a while back when the company goal for redcard conversions was either 1 or 1.5%. You want to know what our district goal was. 3%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOUBLE what the company standard was. We are also the only store to have ALL green Steritech the last year

TLs usually fare better. Even if an etl downgrades your score, at least they get to write their review and argue for that O. Lets be honest, TLs probably actually write their reviews instead of the copy paste bs TMs get each year.

TL have their scores decided on by the ETLs long before we ever write our reviews. What we write down has no bearing on our scores, it's all based on what the ETLs decided to give us at their meeting.

TLs usually fare better. Even if an etl downgrades your score, at least they get to write their review and argue for that O. Lets be honest, TLs probably actually write their reviews instead of the copy paste bs TMs get each year.

TL have their scores decided on by the ETLs long before we ever write our reviews. What we write down has no bearing on our scores, it's all based on what the ETLs decided to give us at their meeting.

I thought our review scores were our AE scores for the year, plus the "discretionary" points your ETL can give you.

Let me just start by stating that I understand I won't get any sympathy (not looking for it), but this is not just a tm thing. This is the case up the food chain to at least DTL. I have great relationship with my boss and we've talked about reviews for him too. Even though there is an AE score, it is only kind of based off of that. I think many of the posters have a pretty good handle on what the sequence of events is for the reviews. These are decided 2 levels up well before the process happens. It actually does make sense from a business standpoint because you need to make plans and pay attention to budgets. I was not happy about my score this year, and it doesn't match my AE, but nothing I can do at this point but deal with it. Again, not looking for sympathy.

What I would recommend is talking about your score through the year with your TL, ETL, STL, etc. This is actually part of the new best practice, so they should be talking to you. That being said, since it is your review and your money, I would be asking/pushing through the year to ensure you get into the category you feel you deservce. If you disagree then make sure you give your boss a bunch of reasons to have your back

Someone mentioned "O" is near impossible. I agree. I got an "O" once in my 15 years, and don't ever anticipate getting one again, regardless of how well I do. My store had a really good year last year, and still don't have a prayer of that rating. I have never been able to get on "O" for one of my ETLs, but I generally have at least one TL that I give an "O" to each year. Unfortunately, that is just the reality you get when dealing with budgets. Not saying whether it is right or wrong, just saying that it is what it is.

Anyway, that is my two cents. I am open to trying to dispel myths or answer questions if I can about the review process. I am enjoying having an outlet to be 100% transparent.

Last edited:

I thought our review scores were our AE scores for the year, plus the "discretionary" points your ETL can give you.

Partially true PStorm. The AE score is more a guide to help leaders figure out where to place people. I do think that in most cases, Target does a decent job of putting people in the correct category. However, I fight pretty hard for my ETLs and TLs, and I have typically gotten all of there scores within 1 point of where I want them. It is really up to your STL what the final score is for the TLs, and he/she has the biggest say in the ETL scores. If they are fighting and giving good reasons, then the scores are where they should be.

Not saying whether it is right or wrong, just saying that it is what it is.

Anyway, that is my two cents. I am open to trying to dispel myths or answer questions if I can about the review process. I am enjoying having an outlet to be 100% transparent.

It's nice to hear how things work on the other side of the fence for a change.

I got my usual IE last year but a bigger raise ($.11 as opposed to $.08 in previous years) but the one thing I was dinged on was that I need to walk into work like I was happy to be there. I guess they wanted me to do cartwheels coming in. Sorry, ain't happenin' and if it did happen, let me tell you it would NOT be a pretty sight. Trust me on this.

Is it true that a store can only give a certain number of "O" a year?

And

Is there such a thing as a cap at spot? And I so is there any way around it?

And

In theory, there is not a limited number of "O" scores. However, since there is an overall budget at all the levels, it does limit the number of scores you can give. For example, if give 10 "O" scores out, you are basically guaranteed to go over budget. I would estimate that for an avg store (150-200 tms) you can give 3-5 "Os". This takes care of the best of the best, and leaves room for some Ex and E scores. When you get close to the budget, you have to decide if you want to move one person from O to Ex, which migh allow you to move 4-5 people from IE to E. It sounds a bit confusing, but there is a balancing act with budgets. Hope this helps.

As far as a cap, yes there are caps at every level and paygrade. However, these are pretty big ranges and very few tms every actually hit the cap. You generally have to have been with Target for a long time, or have a series of significant promotions/raises to hit the cap. The people that I see hit the cap are often tms who demoted at some point and did not lose much (if any) money in the process. You can get around the cap, but you have to get a great review score. Tms who are at their cap must get at least an Ex to qualify for a raise. I have a few tms that are capped that got these better scores this year, so they are still seeing a raise.

I'm wondering if this is the same meeting where the Sr.TLs and APL get to be. Then they can hang their special access to information above the regular TL's heads (all three of us at my store).

I'm wondering if this is the same meeting where the Sr.TLs and APL get to be. Then they can hang their special access to information above the regular TL's heads (all three of us at my store).

They probably attend the ETL meeting, but it would definitely not be appropriate for them to attend the meetings where TL scores are discussed. This should be a very confidential conversation. I would imagine they are excused for this meeting and should be for any discussion regarding TL performance. If not, then your STL must really trust them to not share anything :)

And

In theory, there is not a limited number of "O" scores. However, since there is an overall budget at all the levels, it does limit the number of scores you can give. For example, if give 10 "O" scores out, you are basically guaranteed to go over budget. I would estimate that for an avg store (150-200 tms) you can give 3-5 "Os". This takes care of the best of the best, and leaves room for some Ex and E scores. When you get close to the budget, you have to decide if you want to move one person from O to Ex, which migh allow you to move 4-5 people from IE to E. It sounds a bit confusing, but there is a balancing act with budgets. Hope this helps.

As far as a cap, yes there are caps at every level and paygrade. However, these are pretty big ranges and very few tms every actually hit the cap. You generally have to have been with Target for a long time, or have a series of significant promotions/raises to hit the cap. The people that I see hit the cap are often tms who demoted at some point and did not lose much (if any) money in the process. You can get around the cap, but you have to get a great review score. Tms who are at their cap must get at least an Ex to qualify for a raise. I have a few tms that are capped that got these better scores this year, so they are still seeing a raise.

So in other words, the reviews aren't even based on genuine merit but how much money the store has to work with? Not that I already didn't know this, but it's nice to hear it stated. I'm sure the genuinely bad employees get genuinelyy bad scores, but that explains why so many good workers still end up with IEs.

I got my usual IE last year but a bigger raise ($.11 as opposed to $.08 in previous years) but the one thing I was dinged on was that I need to walk into work like I was happy to be there. I guess they wanted me to do cartwheels coming in. Sorry, ain't happenin' and if it did happen, let me tell you it would NOT be a pretty sight. Trust me on this.
Spot doesn't pay me enough to be happy OR enthusiastic....

So let me get this straight. They put something negative on your review from something that is off the clock?

My reviews and raises are really funny or at least I treat them that way. It's fun to watch them try and BS their way through it and then say "this isn't me saying this!" I used to call them on it and then they would desperately try to change the subject.

This year is going to be so much FUN. I have a kidnapping on Target property that is resulting in some extra tension.

So let me get this straight. They put something negative on your review from something that is off the clock?

Yep! That part didn't hit me until you brought it up. But I think the part where the raise was $.03 more than in past years blinded me to that.

...you can go up! Presentation, Electronics, Instocks, backroom, overnight, pharmacy, TL, perishable assistant, TPS, ...

I have already done that. I have one of the positions you listed. I'm not asking about how to get more money based on my performance in the future. I'm talking about my review for this past year. I want to know how to possibly dispute the amount of my raise if it is not reasonable.
Reviews are very biased or skewed already. TLs only give out so many top grade scores to their favorite TMs while the rest of the team(s) sit in the average or above average levels with minimal pay increases.

You are pretty much stuck with your review scores and feedback.

I got .50, .75 or so pay raises in my first years with, but I quickly hit the cap. The only way I could get more is if I hit perfect scores on my reviews, which is about impossible. Now they increase pay by the pennies, and to me thats worse for TMs.

You can probably refuse to sign the review and ask to sit down with your STL, ETL, HR, and TL to re-evaluate your performance and review, and see if your TL gave you an honest/realistic review. Which they will probably say that it was on the up and up. And it might lead you into deeper hole as they will now see you as an aggressive and problematic TM.

They only way to get really good scores is to get buddy buddy with your ETL and TL. Write thousands of GT/Vibe Cards. Communicate all the time. Never call in. Never put in leave.

Target doesn't mind feeding you a few extra pennies a year. But when it comes to an extra quarter or more ...Target feels like its the end of the world.

Last edited:
Unintentional but yes I see it too...lol Store brand brainwashing

And

So in other words, the reviews aren't even based on genuine merit but how much money the store has to work with? Not that I already didn't know this, but it's nice to hear it stated. I'm sure the genuinely bad employees get genuinelyy bad scores, but that explains why so many good workers still end up with IEs.

I don't think this is breaking new, but maybe it is to some. Each store, district, etc. has a budget for their raises. Let's just talk on a district and store level.....though it's far more complicated than this. Some of the factors for pay raises are AE score, golden contribution (basically, how did your store do with sales vs. payroll), and total store operational score. Corporate has a pool of money for the entire company sitting there waiting to be distributed down. AE score is the first trickle down. Corp views AE as the baseline to how regions and groups operate. After groups know what they have to work with, DTL's come out swinging. Your DTL fights tooth and nail for every penny they can get their district. Groups can have 5-10 different districts so DTL's use the best numbers they can to fight for their district. This is where golden contribution, total store ops, AAR, basket size, conversion, and all those metrics come into play. Districts then receive their merit budget. From there it is pretty straight forward. Your store numbers are what they are. STL's can fight for small bumps up in what they are allocated, but it's pretty cut and dry. Smart STL's will use their bench talent as a way to get a little more merit budget. STL's and DTL's get bonused on the number of promotions that come out of their store/district, so it can be adventitious to make sure the talent doesn't leave.

Let's number crunch shall we....

I know my ULV's so I will use that as an example (THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE!!!)

1 – STL 5,000 year 5,000
4 - ETL's 3,500 year 14,000
3- SR. TL's .55 @ 2,000 hrs 3,300
7 - TL's .35 @ 2,000 hrs 4,900
80 - TM's .12 @1,500 hrs 14,400

Total: 41,600

I’d say the average ULV has about 40k – 60k to work with depending on all the factors that I have already mentioned. You notice the 2 largest groups of merit increases are ETL’s and TM’s. Honestly, I think my ETL increase is a little inflated so the largest group is easily TM’s. You can play with the numbers and see that small changes in the average merit increase for TM’s, will get the budget in a bind fast.

When you start expanding out to a company level, the numbers get silly. Corp will end up spending 125 -150 million a year in merit increases. This is Target’s business model. Could they triple the size of the merit budget? Probably. Could they take the money they use on sponsoring racecars and use it for the merit budget? Probably. The impacts of NOT sponsoring racecars and baseball stadiums is waaaaaaay out of my league. What does not make sense to us, must work on paper because ALL corporations do it. It may be the cheapest form of advertising, I don’t know.

I hope this draws a better picture of how merit increases work....good or bad.

.....Let the insiteful1 reaming begin.......

Not that I expect target to magically become humanitarian and give out generous pay raises to everyone, but you do realize their net income is projected to be $3bil this year, right? They have $654 million in cash on hand. Their accounts receivable is worth 6.46 billion (although the last three years they've factored out 100% of accounts receivables as bad debt and doubtful accounts and I'm not sure why, although it's been a while since my last accounting class so I'm sure there's a valid reason for it). The point is that they could very well give more in raises, although they don't have to because there will always be enough people willing to work for $8.00 an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back