Archived Any rumors yet on Black Friday open time this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is this a pretty set in stone thing? WTF is wrong with retailers. Black friday is the worst "holiday" ever invented. Our sales are going to tank and im sure the deals we have will be utter crap once again. Why cant target be smart and open a little after walmart. Wouldnt that let guests shop there and then be able to head over to target later. If every retailers opens at the same time dont they realize all they are doing is driving down all sales for every single one of them since people cant be two places at once.

And if this is true for a 10PM opening. How are we going to have the staffing for this? That is being open 24 hours straight and people having to work earlier on thanksgiving day for various things as well. So either we will be hiring a lot of people just to work this one day or for one week, who arent properly trained, or alot of team members are going to be pulling double shifts. How excited are you guys to be possibly working 10-6 or so and then coming back at 2 to work til 10 :) (even though I pretty much do this every week...close 12:30-9, open 6-2:30...16 or so hours in a 24 hours stretch)

Last edited:
10 pm is the opening time.

Target is forgetting that the normal guests don't really want to spend thanksgiving day shopping, but the retailers are forcing them to if they want a deal.

I think if we opened at 4am black Friday, and created commercials that made fun of people who do spend their family time in lines, and how great Target is for not opening on Thanksgiving like the other evil retailers our sales would be record breaking.........

JMHO

I agree. Or even - *gasp* open at normal time so people who don't want to be up all night have a crack at something? The deals sucked last year anyway. It's not worth it. i always get put on to open BF and 3 out of 4 years i get put in electronics. I've never complained about BF since this is retail but if i *have" to work twice on Thanksgiving I will not be a happy camper. it will be as if thanksgiving never happened. go in at either 10pm or midnight work probably 8-10 hours doing signing and most likely helping to stage the product. go home, sleep for 8 hours and be right back at TGT? i probably won't even have time to do more than throw something in the microwave at my own house, let alone drive the over an hour to my parents home and have some semblance of family time and then back - lets not forget sleeping and all.

talked to my etl yesterday about my schedule that week. ill do ad setup on sunday, be off monday, work tues, wed (short shifts), come back in at 10pm to set up ad for bf (which means ill get off around 10am on turkey day if its like last year), then be back at 9pm to get ready for 10pm opening, then WORK SATURDAY TOO!!!
in the past, if we worked the ad set up on tgiving and bf, they would let us off on that saturday. it's not like sales are so booming that they can't get by with the small handful of people that set up for the ad and basically dont get a thanksgiving. and they're splitting our schedules... so i have to work every single weekend during the holidays and be off during the week. they use to do every other weekend, or at least give us a weekend in dec to be off with our families.
this is the breaking point. i dont know if my etls just a dick, or im getting too old for this bs. this will be my last holiday at target. i dont care if i have to dig ditches... at least i won't be digging them every holiday and every weekend.

am I the only one that really doesn't care what time they open?
At my store pretty much EVERYONE wants to open so if the random person wants to spend time with their family then they could come in to close. Last week i went around and asked every cashier what they wanted to work and only 2 said they wanted to work later. every other person wrote down that they wanted to open. I have the gsa's fighting over who gets to open which is moot because i already know who is doing what.

honestly i wouldn't care about opening time if it wasn't *mandatory* for me to work on Thanksgiving. That's where I complain. I don't mind having to adjust some time around the holidays, but I don't really like feeling like I completely *missed* one, ya know?

If Target is opening at 10 pm on Thanksgiving night, I can only imagine what horror Walmart has lined up for this year. Last year I had to be at work at 5 pm Thanksgiving night. They haven't said anything about this year but I've already told my parents to forget about having me join them for dinner that night because I know it's going to be nasty. It will be another two weeks before I even see that schedule.
I know this is part of the job, but that doesn't make it suck any less.
And yes, I was there at 5 pm and customers were already waiting in line for the 10 pm deals.

I just read this:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/09/06/target-low-price-wars-holiday-shopping-christmas/

I don't know why Target is opening so early if they are not focusing on having Black Friday deals. Looks like they are focusing on the Neiman Marcus product this year.

It's almost as if the company has complete amnesia of both 4 years ago when people flocked away to Walmart because they were perceived as the lower price retailer and the days of owning Dayton's...

I just read this:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/09/06/target-low-price-wars-holiday-shopping-christmas/

I don't know why Target is opening so early if they are not focusing on having Black Friday deals. Looks like they are focusing on the Neiman Marcus product this year.

So we arent going to have great deals for black friday but they want to be open early to compete with other stores who have amazing door busters. Who the hell is working at corporate. I swear half of us could do a better job than they could. Seems like almost every idea they come up with is horrible.

Dear Lord. This is my first black Friday with Target. I'm not available Thursdays, any chance I'll get a decent shift? I honestly rather go in the morning and be done with that crap than have to come in that evening and clean it all up. Can you request what time you come in? Or is it everyone for themselves?

doesnt bother me very much i asked the other day to work open on the 18th (Wii U Launch) and at open black friday regardless of what time it is cause since i see my family at christmas and spend thanksgiving alone. Im one of the few that says bring on a 10pm open

So we arent going to have great deals for black friday but they want to be open early to compete with other stores who have amazing door busters. Who the hell is working at corporate. I swear half of us could do a better job than they could. Seems like almost every idea they come up with is horrible.

I'll bet you 50 thousand dollars NOBODY at corporate coming up with these insane decisions has EVER worked at store level.

I'll bet you 50 thousand dollars NOBODY at corporate coming up with these insane decisions has EVER worked at store level.

Its a known fact that 80% of people working at HQ have never worked in store. Now that includes the janitors and the secretaries, but you're right that at least some of those making high level decisions are in that group too.

that article says we're sitting out on the price wars, but i read one a couple days ago with an interview with steinhaffel saying the complete opposite. he was really playing up our pricing and price matching and all the amazing bargains. seems like someone needs a course in collaboration...

In our last team lead meeting we were told to it could 8, 10, or 12. Also thought I heard something about staggered ads, meaning 1 might run from 8-12 while another might run from 12-4 and so on. Just rumors mind you.

Its a known fact that 80% of people working at HQ have never worked in store. Now that includes the janitors and the secretaries, but you're right that at least some of those making high level decisions are in that group too.

There is a training store in the same building or nearby.

There is a training store in the same building or nearby.

About a block down the street, yes. It's used for testing new sets, rolling out new hardware/tech, etc. But I don't think it's actually used as a "training" store. Being located essentially next door to company HQ, it wouldn't make much sense to use it as a training store--you want it to be staffed by the all-stars, and serve as a showcase. You wouldn't want a guest to walk in to the store next door to HQ and have a bad experience because an exec didn't know the proper policies, etc.

I still hold to the theory that most of the people at HQ coming up with the newest "big ideas" haven't worked in a store for a very, very long time. (It's actually not hard to verify though that many of the top execs did at one point--many of them started as an STL, or a DTL who at least spends a decent amount of time in the stores. Now, the people who work FOR the top execs--totally different story. I would be shocked if as many as 10% of the HQ staff members have ever actually worked in a store.)

Last edited:
Well good luck to you all, I am done with it. Vibed my two weeks in yesterday. When I asked why after 10 years, I said because Target has become a terrible place to work. I will be enjoying my holidays than you very much.

congrats!

we lost a 12 yr veteran 2 wks ago. lost another 11 yr last week, 4 yr this week, and are about to lose 4-5 more that have 5+ yrs experience. they aren't going anywhere special. just fed up. and it makes me upset because just the other day, one of the etls was telling all the tm how we have new folks coming in so they're all replaceable.

Reactions: NOP
Well, in a way...everyone is replaceable when it comes to jobs...heck, JFK was shot and replaced within an hour. If he can be replaced, then so can the rest of us, really.

Well, in a way...everyone is replaceable when it comes to jobs...heck, JFK was shot and replaced within an hour. If he can be replaced, then so can the rest of us, really.

Certainly, not one of us irreplaceable.
And Spot loves it when the old timers quit so they can bring in someone for half the money (in fact they are doing everything they can to make sure this happens).
But what are the results?
You go to the same diner everyday because the waitress there knows your order and calls you hon.
It makes you smile and gives your day a good start.
Than the boss decides she costs him too much and replaces her with some kid who doesn't need insurance, for half the pay.
But the kid doesn't know your name, asks you if you want cream or sugar when you told him you wanted your coffee black and miscounts your change.
It may not be the kids fault either, the training he got might have been half-assed to save a few bucks as well.
Are you going to go to that diner every day like you did before?

Spot sees only the bottom line.
We see the day to day results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back