Archived Are call buttons not important anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my department rarely gets calls but I overheard a manager saying they dont rid of the scoring system for call buttons anymore

Whether or not the metric is there it’s still important to get to the guest in a timely fashion

my department rarely gets calls but I overheard a manager saying they dont rid of the scoring system for call buttons anymore
Not at my store. We haven’t had any call buttons in electronics in about 3 years.

Whether or not the metric is there it’s still important to get to the guest in a timely fashion
im a senior, the call button has been my source of my panic attack if i dont get there on the second call. managers used to coach people who dont call out or attempt to get to it. Nowadays, the newbies dont even bother going to the call button or dont run to it.

Between loud guests and walkie chatter I can't even hear the first announcement half the time. Last week a hard of hearing TM and me were the only ones working in all of hardlines. She can't hear any of the announcements at all. I was in the back when the second announcement went off in kitchen all the way at the front of the store. The baler was running so that's why I must have missed the first announcement. That was quite the speed walk to the front.

While I agree with this, the circumstances at my store make it very difficult to consistently answer calls in 60 seconds or less. We have a Toys R Us and a Walmart in our shopping center that closed in the last 6 months. That’s a lot of extra guests that need help.

They added more call buttons at my store before I left, so glad I'm not hearing :"TEAM WHO'S GOT THAT CALL BUTTON?; GS, DO WE HAVE THAT DRIVE UP?; WE HAVE A GOAL TIME APPROACHING!; TEAM, WHO'S COMING UP FOR FAST SERVICE?; HARDLINES/SOFTLINES YOU HAVE STRAYS AT GS AND THE CHECKLANES!; MILITANT PLEASE MILITANT, CAN YOU GO TO *INSERT CHANNEL*?; MILITANT, WHAT'S YOUR LOCATION?; MILITANT, CAN YOU MEET A GUEST IN *INSERT LOCATION*? right now. (Maybe I do miss it just a lil' bit)

My “like nails on a chalkboard” moment is : backup cashier needed. “WHO IS RESPONDING ?” Every time ‘who is responding ?.....‘who is responding..... who is responding? Aaaarrrggg. !!!!! Just call someone off the grid and make them go already ! If not then the same people will respond ALL the time cause all others are ignoring you waiting for the SAME person to respond ALL the time !! 🤯

The electronics Indyme goes off 1000x more than all the other buttons combined. You would think that this might be a huge clue for the schedule makers that more than 0.001 TMs ought to be scheduled over there. We had 4 electronics TMs for about a week until the DTL noticed and bitched that it was sapping payroll from MUH SOFTLINES, so the hours plummeted again and the newbies quit. So now we back to the classic "3rd request Saturdays" just in time for Q4.

The electronics Indyme goes off 1000x more than all the other buttons combined. You would think that this might be a huge clue for the schedule makers that more than 0.001 TMs ought to be scheduled over there. We had 4 electronics TMs for about a week until the DTL noticed and bitched that it was sapping payroll from MUH SOFTLINES, so the hours plummeted again and the newbies quit. So now we back to the classic "3rd request Saturdays" just in time for Q4.

I don't mind the electronics call boxes. Yeah, they go off a lot because we have one electronics TM scheduled and he's doing phones. But, 95% of the time it's just someone who wants a video game. It's the calls elsewhere in the store where you get the real knuckle draggers. Answered one today where a guest had a question about vacuums. Apparently, she purchased a particular vacuum on clearance last week. She wanted another of the exact same model. We didn't have anymore. This was not a satisfactory answer because there were definitely more when she bought the one. Well, ok they are go. However, Target is offering a sale on that vacuum right not. Yes, it's more than the clearance price. No, we don't have any of that model in stock. Yes, the closest other Target does have it at the sale price. No, they won't sell it to you for the clearance price you got here last week. I really don't know why it was on clearance here last week and isn't at every other Target in the country right now. Yes, I can call the other store and ask them if they will put it on hold for you. Sorry, no, I can't make them pick up the phone. They must be very busy. Yes, you can order that vacuum online. Guest services can help you with that. No, you can't get it online for last week's clearance price.

Still had 7 hours to go in my shift too. Good thing Target doesn't sell guns.

Frankly, I'm not going to run all the way across the store to answer a call button when I know for a fact that there are plenty of people...usually flow team and backroom people...around who could get to it much faster than I can because they're right there, they just refuse to do it, just like every single one of them seems to pretend they don't speak English at all when a guest goes up to ask them for help, or when they don't feel like answering any of my questions if they're in an area that they seem to know better than I do, and I need help. (And I know they're pretending because I've heard every one of them speaking English at some point, but when a guest comes up to them, they just say something in Spanish and point me out, so I'm constantly answering questions, and I'm one of the newer ones!)

I hate the damn things. For every guest who uses the call button to talk to me for help there's 4, maybe 5 hangups, which wastes my time. Sometimes people are clearly playing with them, multiple hangups in a short period of time.

At my store they send the orientation groups out to set off the call buttons as part of their scavenger hunt. It's not a bad thing when you have n00bs that need to learn that bit, but otherwise? Annoying AF. We have better things to do with our time than run for call boxes without actual guests.

Since our remodel they STILL haven't fixed the call-box errors. They aren't coded properly. We hear on the walkies "Just so you know, infants isn't infants, go to [name dept] " *face palm* We have a major ignore problem in our store. Selective hard of hearing. Maddening. I don't want to ignore them but seriously I'd be the only one picking up phones, answering call boxes, and going to the FLs. And they happily take advantage of it but on the other hand, I don't want to be on the TL's shit list.
So I just go get the dang call/go up front. THEN, and this is what made one of our new hires snap, when the volunteer knows the game and reluctantly repeats his/her service, they fall behind on work/zone and get the look from TLs who forget we just got stuck at FLs for 45 mins. Soooo I say put our names on a list and call us one by one for back ups. We all do our time. It sucks but hey we're paid to work. And this will distribute the work flow more evenly so not one person is behind looking negligent.

Since our remodel they STILL haven't fixed the call-box errors. They aren't coded properly. We hear on the walkies "Just so you know, infants isn't infants, go to [name dept] " *face palm* We have a major ignore problem in our store. Selective hard of hearing. Maddening. I don't want to ignore them but seriously I'd be the only one picking up phones, answering call boxes, and going to the FLs. And they happily take advantage of it but on the other hand, I don't want to be on the TL's shit list.
So I just go get the dang call/go up front. THEN, and this is what made one of our new hires snap, when the volunteer knows the game and reluctantly repeats his/her service, they fall behind on work/zone and get the look from TLs who forget we just got stuck at FLs for 45 mins. Soooo I say put our names on a list and call us one by one for back ups. We all do our time. It sucks but hey we're paid to work. And this will distribute the work flow more evenly so not one person is behind looking negligent.
Great idea. We have some tm that backup 20 times in a shift, some never. Better to use the grid, call The next team member on the list, one at a time. They need to answer WHY they are not backing up, call them again next time if they say no. Everyone can hear who says no ten times in a row. we used to sign up for 30 min extra coverage shifts each but that was too much to keep track of.

My “like nails on a chalkboard” moment is : backup cashier needed. “WHO IS RESPONDING ?” Every time ‘who is responding ?.....‘who is responding..... who is responding? Aaaarrrggg. !!!!! Just call someone off the grid and make them go already ! If not then the same people will respond ALL the time cause all others are ignoring you waiting for the SAME person to respond ALL the time !! 🤯
Or like get the fucking etl to go up. They just sit their ass all day in the office playing games on their phone.

Great idea. We have some tm that backup 20 times in a shift, some never. Better to use the grid, call The next team member on the list, one at a time. They need to answer WHY they are not backing up, call them again next time if they say no. Everyone can hear who says no ten times in a row. we used to sign up for 30 min extra coverage shifts each but that was too much to keep track of.
Unless they are hearing impaired and do not own a hearing aid. Then you can call them but you will never get a response!

Seasonal opu/ship idiot here. They hired me three weeks ago and I have no idea what to say if my Zebra rings. The person who tried to "train" me said to ignore it. Is it really a fucking guest??????

The most I've seen in a store is (both phone and standalones):

- Bakery (standalone)
- Meat (standalone)
- Grocery Aisle 2
- Grocery Aisle 6
- Frozen
- Household Paper
- Pets
- Cosmetics (standalone)
- Automotive
- Seasonal
- Domestics
- Home Improvement
- Furniture, Call Button 1 (standalone)
- Furniture, Call Button 2 (standalone)
- Entertainment New Releases (standalone)
- Computer Accessories (standalone)
- Pegged Cameras (standalone)
- Nintendo (standalone)
- Xbox (standalone)
- Playstation (standalone)
- Electronics (standalone)
- Toys
- Bikes (standalone)
- Jewelry (standalone)
- Men's
- Fitting Room (standalone)
- Boys
- Infant Formula (standalone)
- Women's
- Vaccums (standalone)
- Kitchenware

Probably some others I didn't see or missed. I joked with a colleague that perhaps they should just put one on every end cap. Joking aside, all of the standalone buttons they had installed were stragetically placed rather well and I suppose highlighted hot/trouble areas. The infant formula one though was very clever, especially from a LP standpoint.

Seasonal opu/ship idiot here. They hired me three weeks ago and I have no idea what to say if my Zebra rings. The person who tried to "train" me said to ignore it. Is it really a fucking guest??????
Yes, it's a guest. If you aren't signed into the phone app, it shouldn't ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back