Archived ATTN: Flow TLs store modernization

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackroomAlpha

Ask me anything, maybe I can help.
I need help. Please post here if you're process has switched from using pallets to flats. How quickly did your store make the switch? What have you done differently during your unload to make the process go smoothly? How many people do you have anand are you able to get truck worked without overspending payroll?

It rolled out on my end. Vehicles got ordered but to distribute it among all facilities would be the most hindering factor to make it a smooth transition. Whatever needs to happen, we make it happen with what we have.

It's sort of working at my store. The biggest issue we're having is that SFS can't get vehicles out of their area because the Flow team blocks our only way out with their vehicles. We're working on getting lines taped/painted on the floor that's the width of a three-tier so they can visually see how much space needs to be clear. They're used to it not being a problem before since unload was done before we got there. The other big issue is that all trucks are push-all now, so a lot more is being mispushed and it isn't being caught until a guest tries to buy it for the other price or SFS finds it.

We’re allowed to use flats? I thought we’re only using uboats.

I just heard about it so I don’t have the full details yet. From what I heard, to have more people on the floor all day, push will be really slow because of flow team will be staggered. We normally finish the truck around 11am but now we’re going to finish pushing by 4pm? Wtf.

The flats will be taped off with specific places for boxes, trash, plastic, etc. . . We are ULV, and are just starting this process. So far, so good.

Yes, I will say we pulled pallets into BTS to push, and had most of the team help push them. Regular truck push seems to be working though. Not sure how q4 will look.

Bulk like paper and water is ok on pallets if sent in that way. Everything else will be on flats or U-Boats. Trash cages will be sent away for recycling. Most pallets will be gone. If you need one, well use a couple of flats if you still have enough. We run out of flats EVERY unload. I just really don't get the HQ reasoning for this shitshow everyday.

meh

So, we are getting more hard-to-store U-boats and Flats to fill our over flowing backroom?

Great.

I guess it would work if Bulk Backstock was eliminated completely (ha! ha! ha!) and then there would be room to store all the vehicles.

It seems like head quarters is mixed up...hotel lobby at the front! But unload later and have people pushing all day making it hard for guests to shop! Guests always feel awkward when they have to go around us to get what they want. How long until they decide it's always a pita to shop at T?? It feels like the wrong direction for a store that's trying to seem upscale. o_O

It'll probably be a case where using pallets is allowed because of the amount of freight that needs to be moved and pushed, but that's where this whole thing loses me.

You're going to have pallets and pallet jacks still, you're just not going to use them except in certain situations.. which means they're going to be sitting there, taking up space, most of the time. That just seems wildly inefficient. TMs have to get used to using flats, except for special cases where they don't.. and then it's back to flats again. Why have such a needlessly inefficient and confusing process?

I imagine you're still getting paper and water on pallets. What happens when you need to push all of it? Do you pull it off the pallet, put it on a flat, and push it out? Or do you pull the entire pallet out to push it? The former is an inexcusable waste of time while the latter just seems odd because now you have a mix of pallets and flats on the floor -- so why not just stick to pallets at that point?

I'm sure it will work under good leadership and hard working TMs.. but I really don't see the point of it all. They're attempting to fix a process that was never broken in the first place, and they're doing a very poor job of it.

We were told to use the crown to lift the pallets onto a flat because we are to have zero pallets on the floor at all times. Every pallet needs to go on a flat.

Because reasons, I guess. Totally inefficient and stupid, which I guess is replacing fast, fun, and friendly as our new slogan.

For now we use pallets to bowl certain aisles (hba 01 &02) pets is put on flats. Certain chem aisles are put on flats others are bowled. Some paper is bowled (tp and tissues) rest goes on flats. Home all gets bowled (we schedule someone to push as we unload. So far it has worked out. Team pushes floor 1st then vehicles. Baby hardlines is completed prior to opening
Everything else is still on pallets staged out of our guest way.

I don't know what the reasoning is behind this switch. Why would you not want more merchandise stocked? Today was the hardest thing I've ever experienced trying to get this shit worked fast enough. Merch was everywhere, nothing was organized, guests were getting frustrated because we're in their way all day long. I have overspent an incredible amount this past 2 days and its just going to keep getting worse

Wait wait you can bowl still? We were told by our dtl no more bowling as it never gets cleared by opening. Wr literally are only allowed vehicles on the floor and we are limited to one per person no carts or cage.

We’re allowed to use flats? I thought we’re only using uboats.

I just heard about it so I don’t have the full details yet. From what I heard, to have more people on the floor all day, push will be really slow because of flow team will be staggered. We normally finish the truck around 11am but now we’re going to finish pushing by 4pm? Wtf.

We are basically using any vehicles available, flats, tubs or uboats. I think the original intention was to have more team members available to help guests which sounds great, unless you are on flow and understand what a mess it will be. We are going from 4am to 6am in August, considering we are doing the new truck unload process it takes on average 2 hours, sometimes 3 for a big truck. I can see at least 1 or 2pm stocking easily. A lot of our flow team only has availability till noon so I don't see how they can be staggered that well, guess mid shift will just need help out with truck now.

When my store switched to “no pallets on the floor” last year, it definitely took a lot of trial and error to get it down to a semi-decent process. It also took months for new flats to arrive after being ordered.

Flats that fill up quickly had TMs working them during the unload, and sometimes started off as a pallet if it would be off the floor by 8am. Areas that would not be worked for long after the unload were still sorted onto pallets and then later transferred to flats or uboats. Custom blocks were modified and added, and the line was drastically rearranged to allow for as many custom blocks as possible (reduce the need for pallets/flats to be pulled if they are for small enough areas).

The whole no cages thing was a pain in the ass, and they still used 2 of them before opening, with Paper/Chem/Pets being the top priorities. Small appliances and seasonal was detrashed on the salesfloor, and just kept in piles until the flat cleared up enough. HBA was pushed all morning long by 1-2 TMs with 1 flat, and I can’t remember what they did with their trash. Everything else in the store was detrashed on the line in the backroom and pushed out on flats. Super efficient touching the same item 5 times before it’s stocked on the floor...

Not sure how q4 will look.
My old store started it last summer and gave up halfway through Q4. It’s manageable...to a point. Unless you’re at a busy A volume or higher.

Only certain aisles that we KNOW will get done before opening or will not hinder guest.
Someone is pushing while unload is happening.

I expect bowling isn't long for this world at my store because the last few trucks we've had push casestock on the floor in hba until ~9:00am and guests trying to step over it which blasted the STL's ass something awful. The obvious solution is to add people and hours so they're going to ignore that and kill the process instead.

This is all happening at the same time that the ETLs are bragging non stop about how we're continually crushing sales every single week. So where the FUCK are my flex hours?

Definitely need someone pushing during the unload. HBA is our store has been hugh lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back