Archived California minimum wage raise

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of July 1, 2014 California will raise the minimum wage to nine dollars. Do you guys know if any raises you got will carry over

I have never heard of raises following a wage increase. Its why I started at 10.50 and ended with 10.50 after four years in Oregon.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but wages only go up for those below the new minimum wage for their work center. Cashiers would make $9.00, while Flow is usually $0.50 over base pay, so flow TMs will be bumped to $9.50.

I had a question like this cause I live in Michigan and our minimum wage is going up to $8.15 in September. My hr person said cashiers would make the same as flow and made no sense cause if the different pay grades.

Like kingpin said, the $9.00 minimum is just raising the threshold. Anyone under it will be brought up to $9. All of the other paygrades increased as well, so N05 should be 9.25, N07 should be 9.50 and so on.

Again, it will not add merit-based increases. It's only in place to bring those who are below the threshold up to the minimum. If you're above it already, you'll stay the same. If you're below it, you will be brought up to the threshold.

Well that royalty sucks. As happy as I would be if they raised the minimum wage if I made the same as people just started...yeah.

So if I'm a cashier and I was making $8.25 (when min. wage was $8), does this mean I'll be bumped to $9.25, or just $9?

I just started working at my store a little over a month ago, so the extra 25 cents wasn't a merit-based increase or anything.

Last edited:
Can't answer that definitively. In my area, Target starts the pay scale 50 cents above minimum wage, which varies even compared to other parts of our district. It depends on whether Spot decides to continue exceeding the minimum wage. I'd like to think they'd continue to do so, but as minimum wage increases Spot's payroll expense, they may go the cheaper route.

So if I'm a cashier and I was making $8.25 (when min. wage was $8), does this mean I'll be bumped to $9.25, or just $9?

I just started working at my store a little over a month ago, so the extra 25 cents wasn't a merit-based increase or anything.

If the your paygrade is 25 cents over minimum, then yes. If they just gave it to you then it's a 50/50 likelihood you'll keep that rate.

N03 (cashiers and sales floor) was $8.25, now it's going to be $9.00
You'll be bumped up to $9.00, not $9.25

So I worked hard for 8 months and got a 25 cent raise but now the min wage is 9 dollars and I will be paid the same as a new employee

I assume that the pay grades will still be in effect and current employes will just get screwed. I hope not, though. It'll be a little irritating if new flow TMs start at $9.75.

Just a bit of math. I'm currently averaging 25 hours a week, I was 1 cent below the minimum. That's 25 cents a week, 50 cents a check - before taxes. IF my pay was raised the way it should be - according to the pay grades - I'd be making $0.75 more an hour, $18.75 more per week, 37.50 per check - before taxes.

There's no way they'll do the right thing...it's too expensive

Last edited:
This is exactly what happened when the minimum wage increased in my state. If you weren't making the new minimum wage, no matter how long you had been with the company, you got bumped up to the new minimum. New hires were hired on at the new minimum. So we had vets and newbies making the same pay.

Should be real fun to see how they handle the raises in Seattle.
I think they only have a couple of stores that will be affected but when the final result is 15$ an hour, it must be giving them heart palpitations.
Of course they are bankrolling an effort to get it revoked (to protect small business don't you know) so it might not happen.

In my store, in CA, we already start all TMs >$9/hr, so the minimum wage increase had no effect on us.

However, on Jan 1, 2016, CA's minimum wage will increase again to $10/hr. I do not know what will happen then; management seems to be taking a "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" approach. I am hoping by that time I have moved on from Spot.

So...I looked at my pay stub today, it said my rate is $9.50. That would mean I received a $0.49 raise on top of the $0.01 cent raise to minimum. I checked with a few other coworkers and they said they are also at the same amount.

Weird. I wonder if this is some sort of mistake that will be taken out of my account at a later date, or if they raised everyone to $9.50. o_O

So...I looked at my pay stub today, it said my rate is $9.50. That would mean I received a $0.49 raise on top of the $0.01 cent raise to minimum. I checked with a few other coworkers and they said they are also at the same amount.

Weird. I wonder if this is some sort of mistake that will be taken out of my account at a later date, or if they raised everyone to $9.50. o_O

A raise like that might be Spot trying to get ahead of the ball for future raises in the minimum.
All in all,a pretty good thing.
Good dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back