Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing if there is a way to make this work. Can someone retro-actively apply paper coupons to a pick up or drive up order within the 3 day window/grace period that in store purchasers can do? I tell people no they can use them for in store purchases but if they use pick up for whatever reason (including additional incentives) they forfeit the use of paper coupons and can only use electronic coupons that the app allows to be applied. Am I giving out the correct info?

Yes

I feel like our self checkout TM/TL/whoever needs a talking to. I asked for help spider wrapping and got to hear from our AP gal about how we've lost $2k in appliances because the people up front apparently weren't noticing (for example) that a microwave wasn't supposed to be $2

Last edited:
I feel like our self checkout TM/TL/whoever needs a talking to. I asked for help spider wrapping and got to hear from our AP gal about how we've lost $2k in appliances because the people up front apparently weren't noticing (for example) that a microwave wasn't supposed to be $2
Wow, that sounds truly ridiculous. A GSTL and ETL-SE warned me to be more careful when I removed the spider-wrap for a vacuum but the guest didn't scan it, which I admittedly should have done myself. I caught it and reported it to AP and yet they were still upset with me, and that was only for between $200-$300, not $2,000 like you mentioned.

You should not in any way be accepting mfr coupons for online orders as we will not get reimbursed by mfr. only exception I can think of is make it right if you’re doing save the sale.

we're gonna get reimbursed anyway but you really should make it right for the guest. target can eat $.50 lol

but that’s an unnecessary step that’s causing friction in the experience. there’s literally no difference except causing a longer wait for the guest.
Our stores are run differently, is all I can say.

IMO, if you’re gonna break policy (99% of these people know you can’t coupon with online orders), you’re gonna run into friction. I’ll do my best to help, but my store is not a yes desk.

Our store just rolled out the new register models that were supposed to be completed sometime in 2020 (I guess they did it early in the year) and I'm still not sure if there is a way to check the balance on a gift card, unless the guest uses it and then we'll know afterwards how much the gift card was.
Also, what about the situation when you want to give a guest a free gift card to make up for any inconvenience? In the old system, you could scan the gift card and then give the appropriate amount as a store coupon to offset the gift card amount but I'm wondering if you can do that in the new register systems.

@REDcardJJ you know more about flux than i do, does it have the ability to requisition or anything

not yet, i can double check if/when that’s coming though.

Our store just rolled out the new register models that were supposed to be completed sometime in 2020 (I guess they did it early in the year) and I'm still not sure if there is a way to check the balance on a gift card, unless the guest uses it and then we'll know afterwards how much the gift card was.
Also, what about the situation when you want to give a guest a free gift card to make up for any inconvenience? In the old system, you could scan the gift card and then give the appropriate amount as a store coupon to offset the gift card amount but I'm wondering if you can do that in the new register systems.

use a classic register (i dont think any stores have all of their front lanes on flux rn, but if for some reason your store does then you can utilize a service desk or starbucks/cafe register) to check the balance of giftcards for the guest, or direct them to target.com

free giftcard, best way would probably be to just manually discount the items that qualified instead of offering the guest a giftcard

unfortunatly you cannot use store coupon option by itself anymore to discount a gift card. The store coupon now has to be applied out of the price of the item and not the transaction.. and you also cannot do that with gift cards

I was taught to discount the item.
Ex: 5.00 giftcard offer expired but sign still up for buying 3 Tide
if you give the guest a coupon paid for gift card they can return the Tide for full refund and still keep the gift card.
we were taught to change the price of EACH Tide by 1.00 and 2.00 and 2.00 - so the guest gets the savings but loses the value if they return them.

So if a guest comes up after the fact and says they didn't get the gift card bc the cashier didn't scan their circle or for WHATEVER reason....how is that going to work? No more gift card option? I have to re-ring everything or give them cash or say wrong payment which I hate doing?

So if a guest comes up after the fact and says they didn't get the gift card bc the cashier didn't scan their circle or for WHATEVER reason....how is that going to work? No more gift card option? I have to re-ring everything or give them cash or say wrong payment which I hate doing?

well new pos is only on front lanes registers right now, with no returns or service desk capabilities yet. no changes there yet

Requisition under the gift card account. Supposed to be used for upset and make it right situations but if you don’t have another option.

Don’t blame the SCO TM. With modernization came Guest Service vs Theft Prevention. At my store the SCO TM is required to stand off to the side (at the back of the race track) and direct traffic to the open SCO registers. The SCO can’t see a thing from where they are required to stand.

Don’t blame the SCO TM. With modernization came Guest Service vs Theft Prevention. At my store the SCO TM is required to stand off to the side (at the back of the race track) and direct traffic to the open SCO registers. The SCO can’t see a thing from where they are required to stand.
No. This is wrong. As a SCO TM almost every shift I work we are only allowed out on the racetrack if no one is checking out. Otherwise we are supposed to be a social butterfly going from guest to guest removing security devices, helping with double scans, putting in ID for age restricted items, asking if they have signed up for Circle, making sure no items in their cart got missed, opening bags for them, etc, etc, etc. The only guests I don’t interact with are other TMs who are buying a snack for their break.

Included in this is noticing prices of items (or at least the total of the transaction) to make sure things are being scanned properly and they aren’t holding a dollar spot tag over the barcode of that microwave.

Last edited:

your store sucks and this is bad process

SCO is tough, a few of my old TM's do it. Brutal sometimes. I couldn't do it, I'm too nasty to deal with thieving Karens and dirtbags.

Back