Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Unless the new POS is in beta and only a few stores have a couple of registers with the new POS for testing.

Not yet. They’ll add it eventually, but I remember reading it in the list of workarounds for things not ready yet. It said that if the transaction hasn’t been started to ring on old POS, but if the transaction is complete when you realize it’s tax exempt to finish as is and take to service desk/ old pos to do tax refund.
Yeah, GS can do a tax refund. that's definitely easier if you've already started but most tax exempt guests know to lead with that

If your store is, say, near a state capital you end up with a bunch of people shopping for schools, gov't offices, churches, etc.

If your store isn't located near many of those things, you might not see as many.
My store doesn’t seem them often, except BTS which gets teachers.

IIRC under the old system, before totaling the cashier would hit K5 to make the transaction tax-exempt.
It would then prompt to ask if it was a reseller or an organization/other entity.
Resellers had to provide their exemption number, all others had to provide info that the cashier had to type in - name/address of organization, type (municipal/charitable/religious/government), name/title of purchasing agent, etc.
Afterwards the receipt would print out all the entered info & the purchaser would have to sign before getting a copy.

IIRC under the old system, before totaling the cashier would hit K5 to make the transaction tax-exempt.
It would then prompt to ask if it was a reseller or an organization/other entity.
Resellers had to provide their exemption number, all others had to provide info that the cashier had to type in - name/address of organization, type (municipal/charitable/religious/government), name/title of purchasing agent, etc.
Afterwards the receipt would print out all the entered info & the purchaser would have to sign before getting a copy.
Resellers do not get tax exemption since I’ve worked here (3 years).

we desperately need to implement a nationwide non-store specific “tax exempt id” system. Would save a lot of time to just scan someone’s barcode.

Resellers do not get tax exemption since I’ve worked here (3 years).

we desperately need to implement a nationwide non-store specific “tax exempt id” system. Would save a lot of time to just scan someone’s barcode.
Resellers may be state specific. Two states I've been in, resellers get tax exemption for items that they are turning around and selling. Someone selling lightbulbs and lighting would be tax exempt for the bulbs and the lamps, but not tax exempt for the ream of computer paper that will be printing out receipts and bills.

Nationwide ID would be hard as sales tax is a state tax, not a federal tax.

Resellers may be state specific. Two states I've been in, resellers get tax exemption for items that they are turning around and selling. Someone selling lightbulbs and lighting would be tax exempt for the bulbs and the lamps, but not tax exempt for the ream of computer paper that will be printing out receipts and bills.

Nationwide ID would be hard as sales tax is a state tax, not a federal tax.
True. But at least Targetwide ID would be good— like you could link Tax Exempt to Wallet. That would be cool.

also, I googled— it seems we don’t sell to resellers, after the Lilly Pulitzer mess in 2016

Last edited:
As someone who has been around a long time, I can tell you that your search results are correct. We do not, and have not sold to resellers in a very long time. And we always reserve the right to limit quantities to anyone. That being said, having a mix of new and old pos in my store, I can absolutely state without any hesitation at all that the new pos is most definitely a pos. So many things it won't do, and will randomly freeze the register. Typical roll out of something that maybe was a good idea, but, just as with Target Canada, half finished and poorly executed and so doomed to fail unless fixed quickly

Consular staff of a foreign government are tax exempt with proper ID, and there are some foreign consulates around downtown Seattle. This is due to international diplomatic treaties, where the tax-exempt status is given to American diplomats in foreign nations. Up until June of last year, Washington allowed residents of states and provinces with no sales tax to make tax-exempt purchases in Washington. This deal was revoked by the state last year, partly as it had been abused and it didn't make sense for Washington taxpayers (in the minds of the legislature and governor anyway, who are solidly D). So our tax exempt transactions plummeted, no more tax-free sales to guests with IDs from Oregon, Alberta, Alaska, Montana and so forth. It didn't really affect our store sales but would definitely cut sales a bit in Clark County near Portland Oregon.

Anyone have a plan for when we start talking returns again? Will we still need to quarantine returned/exchanged items? If you have any ideas please share them.

tbh tax exempt in the states is kinda weird

when i went to korea/japan i got things tax free

or rather, i paid the tax, filled out the forms and was reimbursed at the airport

Question: I was written up for not checking ID for OPU guest. I didn’t give it to the wrong guest or anything... ETL-SE just saw me not check. We’ve never discussed this rule before. I usually err on the side of caution because a credit card is involved, but it was literally Pantene shampoo and apple juice... nothing high value. The guest gave me the barcode from the Target App and it popped up green in the corner for Guest verified with barcode.

Does your store have you check ID for every OPU order? Workbench specifically says, “Since this barcode is specific to each guest, you do not need to verify an ID if using this method.” and OPU FAQs available on the website to guests says to bring Wallet barcode on app OR valid ID. Definitely makes it seem like one or the other, so now I am curious.

Back