Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

What the hell am I supposed to do with coupons that the system won't recognize? I check the coupon. Guest has purchased the item. Coupon is not expired. It's a manufacturer's coupon. I've just been accepting because it's a small amount and we're told to just go ahead and make things right for a guest if it's $5 or less. But, am I doing that right?
If it is legit, I accept them. It has happened to me with a coupon that I removed from the product I was purchasing and the system said I did not purchase the product.

If it is legit, I accept them. It has happened to me with a coupon that I removed from the product I was purchasing and the system said I did not purchase the product.

Cool. It's happened to me the last twice in the last few days when I've gone up to the front to help. Guests didn't seem like scammers. Just had the one coupon and everything looked legit. Didn't want to call up the GSA over it. They have other things to do. Just wanted to be sure I was doing things right.

What the hell am I supposed to do with coupons that the system won't recognize? I check the coupon. Guest has purchased the item. Coupon is not expired. It's a manufacturer's coupon. I've just been accepting because it's a small amount and we're told to just go ahead and make things right for a guest if it's $5 or less. But, am I doing that right?
We send manufacturer coupons back and get credit for them so if it’s a legit coupon that’s matching the product and quantity stated you can make it right for the guest using K4 if it’s a small amount. Anything higher check with the GSTL

Cool. It's happened to me the last twice in the last few days when I've gone up to the front to help. Guests didn't seem like scammers. Just had the one coupon and everything looked legit. Didn't want to call up the GSA over it. They have other things to do. Just wanted to be sure I was doing things right.
Do k1 change amount and make it right if it seems reasonable. Change amount ensures guest gets correct amount back on a return unlike k4

Do k1 change amount and make it right if it seems reasonable. Change amount ensures guest gets correct amount back on a return unlike k4
It’s actually illegal for a retailer to not return the full price of the item if they used a manufacturer coupon and is in our return policy. Target gets money for that coupon so if they don’t return the full value they are double dipping.

Edit: I just went back and looked at the policy again and it now says the value of the manufacturer coupon may be returned onto a target gift but I have never run into that. Every return done with a manufacturer coupon should be returned at full retail value

Last edited:

Do K4 Discounts K1 Target coupon and key in the value of the coupon that isn't working

ez pz and you can do up to $5 no questions asked

It’s actually illegal for a retailer to not return the full price of the item if they used a manufacturer coupon and is in our return policy. Target gets money for that coupon so if they don’t return the full value they are double dipping.
Exactly. If we get to keep the coupon and we also get the money for it but the guest doesn’t get the full price back that’s basically us scamming them. Unfortunately we do have many repeat offenders at my store who make purchases with a huge amount of manufacturer coupons and then return all the items to get the full amount back (basically exchanging manufacturer coupons for cash since they get back the amount of the coupon) but AP said there’s nothing we can do about it since we do get the amount for the coupon back

Exactly. If we get to keep the coupon and we also get the money for it but the guest doesn’t get the full price back that’s basically us scamming them. Unfortunately we do have many repeat offenders at my store who make purchases with a huge amount of manufacturer coupons and then return all the items to get the full amount back (basically exchanging manufacturer coupons for cash since they get back the amount of the coupon) but AP said there’s nothing we can do about it since we do get the amount for the coupon back
We had the same thing so we just limit them to “reasonable household limit” and they stopped coming around

Ohhhhh now the couple who kept coming back every week with 1,000,000,000 different high-value medicines, returning them all unopened makes sense. It was a coupon fraud!
I didn't understand why they did this. I thought maybe they had mental issues and kept buying the same medicines over and over but realized it was wrong, returned them, and started over.
I get what they're doing now.
AP kicked them out last time.

There is something that can be done as they are committing coupon fraud. There is a policy on the books regarding this issue.

During one huddle, while addressing things we need to know when backing up, we were told to not accept coupons if the computer says something about the manufacturer declining. The LOD said it's common for manufacturers to print out more coupons than they intend on honoring because not every coupon will be clipped plus what they release online and that when that cap is reached the manufacturer will not pay retailers for additional submitted coupons. Any of you GS folks know more about that?

At my store for all returns with manf coupons we adjust down the value to what the guest paid. @gsa4lyfe Please point me to the law that says we can’t... otherwise they are scamming us and getting more than what they paid, usually in cash. I understand it results in Target “double dipping” but we had such a big problem with this at my store we had to do it. The guest usually decides not to return once we tell them, since they were only returning to get the extra $$.

Once the coupon has been accepted, it’s forfeited by the guest.

Last edited:
During one huddle, while addressing things we need to know when backing up, we were told to not accept coupons if the computer says something about the manufacturer declining. The LOD said it's common for manufacturers to print out more coupons than they intend on honoring because not every coupon will be clipped plus what they release online and that when that cap is reached the manufacturer will not pay retailers for additional submitted coupons. Any of you GS folks know more about that?
If that were true, I would think the coupon itself would have to have some sort of disclaimer printed on it.

Seems fake but ok. If the computer declines we are *supposed* to decline as well but not for that reason.

Alone at the service desk again and it’s awfully busy, few carts of detectives from last night and today which need to be done but there’s no time, carts of reshop that need sorting, we have no more baby registry bags. I hit the backup button a few times when I had 4+ guests in line, some of which with large returns and exchanges, GSA comes over and tells me that I can’t hit the backup button anymore because it’s embarrassing him and “makes people think he isn’t doing his job” and then leaves without backing up. I really can’t win.

While I am not defending that GSA's piss-poor response, as he should've jumped in to help, I've been in situations where the front is set up to fail.
  • One single cashier scheduled for a 2-hour period between 5 and 7 PM.
  • Three callouts on the sales floor.
  • New directive (this store, totally ASANTS) coming down from the ETL covering GE since the existing one left that says only TLs/SrTLs from the sales floor can backup at Guest Service, and even if there's a line longer than the wingspan of a Boeing 787, and someone Guest Service trained is nearby not immediately doing something (such as SCO, OPU, or GSA) they can't help

I hit the backup button a few times when I had 4+ guests in line, some of which with large returns and exchanges, GSA comes over and tells me that I can’t hit the backup button anymore because it’s embarrassing him and “makes people think he isn’t doing his job”

He isn't doing his job if he either doesn't help you help the guests or finds someone to come up that can help.

So.... lay on the additional assistance button like there is no tomorrow!

Weird random thing but... I just was at another retail store that offers “digital coupons” (similar to Cartwheel) and when you first create an account to use the coupons it does this little interactive tutorial on the page which shows you exactly how to get the coupons and use them. It would be super cool if the Target app did something like that too!
Actually when you first download the cartwheel app it does show you how to use it.....just most people just pass by the instructions and ask as they check out what to do.

Alone at the service desk again and it’s awfully busy, few carts of detectives from last night and today which need to be done but there’s no time, carts of reshop that need sorting, we have no more baby registry bags. I hit the backup button a few times when I had 4+ guests in line, some of which with large returns and exchanges, GSA comes over and tells me that I can’t hit the backup button anymore because it’s embarrassing him and “makes people think he isn’t doing his job” and then leaves without backing up. I really can’t win.

keep hitting the button or even better, go on walkie and call for backup because you have a very long line

keep hitting the button or even better, go on walkie and call for backup because you have a very long line
If I hit the button and GSTL/A doesn’t respond I say “hey GSTL/A I need additional cashiers to GS”
Still no response?
“Hey LOD can you come to GS”

Then LOD asks where GSTL is and GSTL comes over. @Dog talk to GSTL or ETL GE and let them know that GSAs aren’t helping when lines get long.

In terms of actual functions/duties?

Unless you are in a high-volume store, most ETL-GEs will also be responsible for some or all of the Sales Floor as well. If they have a decent GSTL, that's likely where they'll spend a lot of their time. ETLs also rotate through LOD shifts, which means they have keys to the building, alarm codes, etc. GSTLs won't have these unless they are Seniors. ETLs also make final hiring decisions and are responsible for maintaining payroll in their areas.

GSTLs are scheduled each day in specific workcenters, just like TMs. Most days they will probably be GSTL, but they could also be scheduled Service Desk, Cash Office, Order Pickup, or even Cashier. ETLs are not scheduled in specific workcenters, because they need to be able to break away for guest or TM incidents, interviews, conference calls, DTL or Steritech visits, etc.

Those are just a few differences in functions and duties. I could go on.

ASANTS. At my store, the sales floor and softlines is responsible for their defectives. Hardlines is also responsible for sorting reshop. Thought this was a company directive?

Back