Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE CARD READER SOUND?

It's back to the angry duck honk.

The wording about removing the credit card changed too.
Ugh. That sucks.
I like how it’s like
“You May
Remove Your Card” or whatever all capitalized lol
Hopefully this will stop guests from asking me if they should remove their card lol

It seems to use the doorchime sound for receipt lookup.
However, when a payment is taken, it uses the buzzer/"angry duck" sound to get them to remove their card.

It's unpleasant and generic. Guests seemed to really like the door chime.

'd have guests sitting there organizing their shit stuff while it went off like an impatient Avon lady.
I tell them as soon as it starts sounding, "please remove your card so I can continue." I don't let them sit there.

It seems to use the doorchime sound for receipt lookup.
However, when a payment is taken, it uses the buzzer/"angry duck" sound to get them to remove their card.

It's unpleasant and generic. Guests seemed to really like the door chime.

I tell them as soon as it starts sounding, "please remove your card so I can continue." I don't let them sit there.
Usually I say something, sometimes if I'm bored I'll just wait and see how long it takes them to realize they need to take it out.

I don't like hearing that we're back to the dying duck, but I do think that the chime needed to change somewhat. The most recent iterations I've seen (haven't worked in a week) is a single chime that could easily be missed if the guest isn't paying attention, or if we're busy and multiple lanes are chiming at once. And since the transaction doesn't complete and the receipt doesn't print until after they pull their card, it can get very annoying to wait for them on a busy shift.

Today I had a lady do a return for an expensive toy (around $50) with a receipt that was paid for partly with a merchandise return card (around $48) and the other half in cash. Of course I tell her that she has to get the $48 back on a merch card and she starts pitching a fit saying “I paid half in cash I just called and the person on the phone told me that I could get the cash back” “I need to pay my rent I can’t pay rent with this card” etc and I tell her no I can’t give you cash no I’m not overriding it you can either get the card or keep the item. So I give her the card and she starts harassing other guests in line trying to sell them the card for cash. Wtf?

Today I had a lady do a return for an expensive toy (around $50) with a receipt that was paid for partly with a merchandise return card (around $48) and the other half in cash. Of course I tell her that she has to get the $48 back on a merch card and she starts pitching a fit saying “I paid half in cash I just called and the person on the phone told me that I could get the cash back” “I need to pay my rent I can’t pay rent with this card” etc and I tell her no I can’t give you cash no I’m not overriding it you can either get the card or keep the item. So I give her the card and she starts harassing other guests in line trying to sell them the card for cash. Wtf?
the second she started harassing other guests you should've called AP. harassing other guest is not acceptable.

Yo we literally had this exact same situation a few months back (prob like july).... same “I NEED TO PAY RENT I HAVE KIDS” excuse and tried to sell the card to guests. Our ETL-AP happened to be LOD and he told her she needed to leave. People are absolutely crazy.

the second she started harassing other guests you should've called AP. harassing other guest is not acceptable.
I did but I think he was watching someone because he wasn’t able to come until she was already gone

unless he was actually apprehending another guest, he should've come IMO. guests actively being harassed should take precedence over "I think this guest might be stealing"
Yeah our TPS tends to never come when I call him, I’m not sure why. I don’t really call him that often. I guess that’s a different issue

unless he was actually apprehending another guest, he should've come IMO. guests actively being harassed should take precedence over "I think this guest might be stealing"

tbh that sounds more like an LOD call than an AP situation. LOD can ask a guest to leave the store, you don't really need AP in that case.

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. AP really needs to stick to what they were doing first. They are Assest Protection after all. Thats an LOD situation.

You sure you wanna be GS? You would make a killing in the AP/LP business. Seeing as you know everything about it.

I wasn’t sure what to do really I was just kind of freaked out XD honestly the audacity of some people is so crazy!! Thank you guys for always listening to my weird stories and offering advice!

Yeah our TPS tends to never come when I call him, I’m not sure why. I don’t really call him that often. I guess that’s a different issue
Also I didn’t want to make it seem like AP should just drop everything they’re doing and always come when I call, I’m sure some things are not even for them to deal with (as you all said this was probably an LOD issue for the future) I have just called AP a few times when I’ve caught a guest concealing or trying to do a huge fraudulent return or whatever but they are always very busy. I’m at a high threat level store

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. AP really needs to stick to what they were doing first. They are Assest Protection after all. Thats an LOD situation.
Whike I agree it’s an LOD thing, as a store that has an ETL AP, I would call my AP before the lod if he is in the building just because he is both AP and LOD occasionally. Stores that only have an APTL I would never bother over that, he should be sticking to the person he’s already watching.

Same situation happened at my store. Never thought to call AP. Walkied straight to LOD.
Yeah, LOD probably would’ve been better. Nonetheless, i still hold that AP (if anyone, really) shouldn’t ignore anyone saying Guest is harassing other guests. At the very least, they should’ve said call LOD

Last edited:
Back