Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

The quick chip is AWFUL for guests using gift cards. The guest runs their card the second they can, and we have no way to have them cancel their payment for us to do the gift card :rolleyes:

hit the cancel button on the pin pad to cancel the transaction, but either way that's the guest's fault for putting their card in before a GiftCard

typically I greet guests by asking them "are you using any coupons, GiftCards, or cartwheel?". this reminds them if they've got any of those things

The quick chip is AWFUL for guests using gift cards. The guest runs their card the second they can, and we have no way to have them cancel their payment for us to do the gift card :rolleyes:
Oh I didn’t even think of that. That sucks, does it not go through the authorizing screen where we can hit k8 cancel?

If you send them to GS we can do wrong payment and fix for them.

Oh I didn’t even think of that. That sucks, does it not go through the authorizing screen where we can hit k8 cancel?

If you send them to GS we can do wrong payment and fix for them.
When there isn't a line I'll do it for them at the cash, but the last time we had to do wrong payment, the order didn't pop up and we had to re-ring the entire buggy worth of groceries

If a guest scans their wallet before adding their card or doing the password, there’s no way to void just the wallet without voiding the entire transaction and re-ringing, right? Had to tell every cashier mutliple times today to make sure the card was added... red background rather than blue, but I ended up re-ringing waaaaay too many today.

If a guest scans their wallet before adding their card or doing the password, there’s no way to void just the wallet without voiding the entire transaction and re-ringing, right? Had to tell every cashier mutliple times today to make sure the card was added... red background rather than blue, but I ended up re-ringing waaaaay too many today.
Correct. And wrong payment won’t fix that either. It has to be completely post voided. So annoying. And if you wrong payment when wallet is on there, they can’t repay with wallet

As far as I know yes, there's no other way to do it. I usually offer to take the 5% off manually for them (sue me, spot!) if they are willing to use another card.

Or just let us know. With returns, it prints a sticker for us, but for RTS items, we have no way of knowing the item needs a red sticker (@mobilelady)

Obviously if it’s a new/new to GS ™, that won’t help, but if it’s a large problem, definitely bring it up

This is a great idea! I have added it to our backlog and will be something we look at adding in for 2019.

Sorry for the rant but there is a question in this one too.

What do you do if a guest tries to use one of those bonus gift cards and it doesn't work and you check it and it says that the card has never been activated but the guest insists that they received it a few weeks ago for buying Tide or something like that and no they don't have the receipt and like today may get ridiculously pissy like it is my fault and that I am the biggest idiot in the world to suggest the possibility that they might have saved the receipt from the transaction that they received the gift card? I only work 16 hours a week but I probably get this at least once or twice a month.

I don't get the impression that they are trying to scam target, the guest today was just particularly rude, but most aren't. They are usually fairly large transactions and $5 off isn't going to make or break target.

Normally if nothing else seems off, I would just give them a 5 dollar coupon to make it right and advise them when they get gift cards in the future just to take 10 seconds to look at the receipt to make sure it was activated. I tried to do this today but the woman started bitching that because Target makes a mistake she shouldn't have to take 5 minutes to look at her receipt and make sure we did our job right. I agreed but told her that it wouldn't take 5 minutes but 10-20 seconds and would save time preventing problems in the future. It also didn't help that she was using this non activated gift card with Cartwheel/wallet and I scanned after hitting total so couldn't go back to add the coupon when I found out the card wouldn't work as another payment. I asked if she had another form of payment besides the redcard in Wallet (this was before things got bad and she said no. I wasn't sure how to get the wallet feature to activate now that I said there was another payment but there wasn't. I should have just put in a cash payment of 1 cent but that's when she started getting mad at me. So, yes of course I had to re-ring everything up. I tried be pleasant and quick about it but everything just made her more upset.

Today with weather, there was not even an option to send her to GS as because of call outs, GS had one person and 3 in line and actually as soon as I finished with that guest I was supposed to go up to relieve the person who was covering GS because the GS was watching the lane because we had no GSA/GSTL for the evening.

So the question is on a normal day with a more pleasant guest if there is no line (or small line) at GS should I send them there or call over a GSTL or just take care of it myself with the $5 coupon. My other option would be to tell them sorry there is nothing on the gift card and let them decide if they want to pursue it further. I could also act dumb like I don't know why the card isn't working and tell them they have to call the number on the card for information.

I know there is 4 possible reasons for the problem.
1. The guest is lying and/or scamming.
2. The guest received 2 stacked gift cards and one was loaded and the other wasn't but the guest didn't realize that and used the good one but saw the other one in wallet and assumed it was good too.
3. The cashier scanning the gift card did something wrong -because we have a lot of new cashiers who are sent off on there own after less than an hour of "training" and are too afraid to speak up if they have trouble with something- like activating the gift card. I would assume this would be more likely to happen with coupon generated gift cards vs automatic ones due to purchase.
4. The cashier scanned the card properly and then either accidentally or deliberately gave the guest the wrong (empty) gift card.

Sorry for the rant but there is a question in this one too.

What do you do if a guest tries to use one of those bonus gift cards and it doesn't work and you check it and it says that the card has never been activated but the guest insists that they received it a few weeks ago for buying Tide or something like that and no they don't have the receipt and like today may get ridiculously pissy like it is my fault and that I am the biggest idiot in the world to suggest the possibility that they might have saved the receipt from the transaction that they received the gift card? I only work 16 hours a week but I probably get this at least once or twice a month.

I don't get the impression that they are trying to scam target, the guest today was just particularly rude, but most aren't. They are usually fairly large transactions and $5 off isn't going to make or break target.

Normally if nothing else seems off, I would just give them a 5 dollar coupon to make it right and advise them when they get gift cards in the future just to take 10 seconds to look at the receipt to make sure it was activated. I tried to do this today but the woman started bitching that because Target makes a mistake she shouldn't have to take 5 minutes to look at her receipt and make sure we did our job right. I agreed but told her that it wouldn't take 5 minutes but 10-20 seconds and would save time preventing problems in the future. It also didn't help that she was using this non activated gift card with Cartwheel/wallet and I scanned after hitting total so couldn't go back to add the coupon when I found out the card wouldn't work as another payment. I asked if she had another form of payment besides the redcard in Wallet (this was before things got bad and she said no. I wasn't sure how to get the wallet feature to activate now that I said there was another payment but there wasn't. I should have just put in a cash payment of 1 cent but that's when she started getting mad at me. So, yes of course I had to re-ring everything up. I tried be pleasant and quick about it but everything just made her more upset.

Today with weather, there was not even an option to send her to GS as because of call outs, GS had one person and 3 in line and actually as soon as I finished with that guest I was supposed to go up to relieve the person who was covering GS because the GS was watching the lane because we had no GSA/GSTL for the evening.

So the question is on a normal day with a more pleasant guest if there is no line (or small line) at GS should I send them there or call over a GSTL or just take care of it myself with the $5 coupon. My other option would be to tell them sorry there is nothing on the gift card and let them decide if they want to pursue it further. I could also act dumb like I don't know why the card isn't working and tell them they have to call the number on the card for information.

2. The guest received 2 stacked gift cards and one was loaded and the other wasn't but the guest didn't realize that and used the good one but saw the other one in wallet and assumed it was good too.
3. The cashier scanning the gift card did something wrong -because we have a lot of new cashiers who are sent off on there own after less than an hour of "training" and are too afraid to speak up if they have trouble with something- like activating the gift card. I would assume this would be more likely to happen with coupon generated gift cards vs automatic ones due to purchase.
4. The cashier scanned the card properly and then either accidentally or deliberately gave the guest the wrong (empty) gift card.
In my experience:
- the super angry asshats about a $5 not working are usually scammers, but we treat all guests and guestscammers the same, so $5.00 coupon is fine in my view
- don't act dumb and refer them to the 800 number, please. If the cashier did indeed make a mistake when they scanned the transaction that gave them the free GC, there's not much the TM at that call center can do except get bitched at, apologize, and give them a $5 GC. So just save the poor call center agent who is probably based in India and makes less than what you make an hour in a whole day the trouble and "make it right for the guest" with $5 coupon.

Even More Ways Checkout is a Breeze this Season

Please do not send them to GS for something that can be handled at the CL; Most instances just call over the GSTL.

If it’s with a pleasant guest and my line isn’t backed up, I would personally go ahead and explain to them what’s going on. I would apologize for the inconvenience and warn them to check the balance before they head out next time.

From there if they’re still pleasant and understanding, I would do the $5 coupon for the most part. ASANTS but my store prefers if it’s a something easy to resolve, just go ahead and do it rather than send them over to GS.

Except that the missed coupon option for the food/baby gift cards isn't working this week. I should be able to scan the coupon barcode and generate a gift card but no. :( Such a pain.

Also...does anyone else have a problem defecting out Wild Fable?
Yes because the sort setup is not updated for my store. Have to hit k3 defect first and then scan the item and then hit k8

I figured that one out...but I can't make a new ticket. You know how you can punch in the DCPI and it generates a new barcode label? Not for Wild Fable. I wish "they" would fix this.

Except that the missed coupon option for the food/baby gift cards isn't working this week. I should be able to scan the coupon barcode and generate a gift card but no. :( Such a pain.
it hasn’t been working for the past few weeks. So annoying.
I figured that one out...but I can't make a new ticket. You know how you can punch in the DCPI and it generates a new barcode label? Not for Wild Fable. I wish "they" would fix this.
GSTL can update sort setup on WB

Yesterday I was doing a receipt lookup return for items that had been purchased off of someone’s baby registry but I guess the person who was giving the items decided not to give the stuff as a gift anymore or something and every time I scanned an item it would as “what’s the line #?” And I didn’t know what to put? 😅 I looked at the printed out copy of the baby registry the guest had but couldn’t figure out what to type in. In the end I just ended up hitting the back button and the screen cleared and let me do the return but has anyone encountered this before?

0869AF2C-8684-41DD-B87D-C3692584E7C5.jpeg

Back