Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Some people who do business online “under the table” use PayPal to get paid but don’t hook their PayPal up to a bank account so that they’re not on the radar so to speak.

Depending upon either the amount of money they're bringing in or the number of transactions done (PP has both thresholds), PP does issue 1099's.

paypal returns in store are supposed to go back as cash, online comes back as an egiftcard.

if it's forcing you to return in store as a giftcard you should use the daily override code to get it back in cash.

Does your store do this?

With these daily deals we have guests coming up to guest services saying they bought something days ago and now it’s 20% off. So they want a price adjustment.

I opened guest services this morning and my first three guests were 3 moms with receipts that had like 10 toys on them. I had to return them and rebuy them with the 20% off.

My GSTL said we had to do it.

Does your store do this?

With these daily deals we have guests coming up to guest services saying they bought something days ago and now it’s 20% off. So they want a price adjustment.

I opened guest services this morning and my first three guests were 3 moms with receipts that had like 10 toys on them. I had to return them and rebuy them with the 20% off.

yeah unfortunately it does fall into our price match promise so we have to. as long as they don't have a redcard, just return and k7 sell items

Which also I’m all for because if it was me I’d want that 20% off too.

I was in the middle of a transaction when another GS TM came up and frantically said to not do this after this one and when the GSTL came up she even said we needed to do.

Does your store do this?

We didn’t do it. We were told not to since it was a special one day sale. We had someone complain to an LOD, but the others I or another GSTL/ GSA were able to handle. We did return and let people rebuy off the floor, but no direct return and repurchase of the same item.

Under exclusions in the price match/ price adjustment policy it states: storewide or category promotions, offers advertised as % or $ off as exclusions. Since it was not a sale price, but came off as a storewide promotion and % off, we denied it. I’m not really sure that was the correct way to handle it, but that’s how we interpreted the policy.

All I can say is it what have been nice if they had told the TMs on the sales floor about the 20% off sale today and what the exclusions were. We were answering questions about this all day and no one had a clue about it. I finally just went up to the GSETL and made him walk me through it so I could pass the word on to other TMs. Stupid sale wasn't even showing up on our Zebras. Kind of makes it difficult to help guests with it.

Under exclusions in the price match/ price adjustment policy it states: storewide or category promotions, offers advertised as % or $ off as exclusions. Since it was not a sale price, but came off as a storewide promotion and % off, we denied it. I’m not really sure that was the correct way to handle it, but that’s how we interpreted the policy.

return and repurchase probably would've been the best thing to do to make it right for the guest

Super annoying that on the website it says exclusions apply however I could not for the life of me find a list of exclusions. People were asking all day about the giant LOL houses and the Barbie dreamhouses that of course, weren’t included, even though the LOL and Barbie brands were included in the sale, and when guests asked why I said some items were excluded, and when they asked well which items I couldn’t get an answer.

We didn’t do it. We were told not to since it was a special one day sale. We had someone complain to an LOD, but the others I or another GSTL/ GSA were able to handle. We did return and let people rebuy off the floor, but no direct return and repurchase of the same item.

Problem with this, is how many angry soccer moms will Instagram their experience and cause potentially lost sales. Although against the rule, I'd just do it. But then they will think they can get any price adjustments next time. Classic Catch-22

return and repurchase probably would've been the best thing to do to make it right for the guest
Problem with this, is how many angry soccer moms will Instagram their experience and cause potentially lost sales. Although against the rule, I'd just do it. But then they will think they can get any price adjustments next time. Classic Catch-22
Yeah, that’s why I said I don’t know if it was the right way to handle it, but it didn’t go too poorly. Most came in with receipts thinking it was a long shot and understood. Just one lady said demanded to speak to an LOD. We gave her a $15 gift card for the inconvenience and her husband was talking her down saying it made sense.

It would have been nice if it was explicity stated one way or the other, but denying it felt better than refunding people $60+ because they purchased the “Deal of the day” items not on the special day.

Yeah tbh I don’t think that’s something we should have refunded the difference for, especially because it was a while supplies last sort of thing and we ran out of a lot of different toys. It’s not really fair to others that someone can buy whatever toys they want before a big flash sale while we still have everything in stock and then get the one day deal for it. It’s kind of like buying something before Black Friday while we still have all the hot ticket items and then coming in on Black Friday and demanding a price adjustment. It misses the entire point. I’m all about making it right for the guest and probably would have done it for people if I was at GS yesterday, but idk!

Actually, I think that's a great idea. We have to help them get the TV to their car, anyway, and knowing ahead of time instead of having to scramble for a flat and someone(s) to help with the carry out while the guests wait seems like a win-win.

We were doing return and repurchase, but they had to go get a new one from the salesfloor. If we were out, too bad. Mostly because the daily deals keep getting leaked so we're having people purposely buy the stuff in advance in case it sells out.

Just wait until next weekend. At my store Target moms are buying lots of the Black Friday items. You know they've seen the ad and they will be coming back demanding they get a price adjustment. It's going to be a loooooong weekend for everyone at the GS desk. On the plus side, a lot of the freight they sent us in anticipation of Black Friday has been cleared out of the backroom.

Just wait until next weekend. At my store Target moms are buying lots of the Black Friday items. You know they've seen the ad and they will be coming back demanding they get a price adjustment. It's going to be a loooooong weekend for everyone at the GS desk. On the plus side, a lot of the freight they sent us in anticipation of Black Friday has been cleared out of the backroom.
I meant no price match to competitors (does t.com count?)

Last edited:
So do y'all price adjust to clearance items/prices for your own store?
Example: guest buys Item (at your store) on Tuesday, goes on clearance (again, at your store) on Friday and guest demands price adjustment.
I've been told by leadership to honor it if it was within 72 hours. 🤷‍♂️

For those you can do k1 match target print ad and be done. I meant no price match to competitors (does t.com count?)

Oh, I wasn't responding to you. It might be easy to do on your end, but if it were up to me people who purchase a product before BF shouldn't be able to come in and get a price adjustment on BF. Those who aren't wise to the fact that Spot gives guests anything they want get screwed. They can't get the item they wanted because they stupidly waited until the day of the sale to come in and get it but Target Mom gets it because she came in the week before to pick it up at her leisure.

Example: guest buys Item (at your store) on Tuesday, goes on clearance (again, at your store) on Friday and guest demands price adjustment.
No. Fairly sure clearance is specifically exempt from price adjusting. I know we definitely won't do it if it's seasonal PLU.

Usually I’ll make it right and do it EXCEPT FOR SEASONAL!

As long as ive worked for target, never did price corrections for BF sale items purchased before BF. Never. Its the same policy as costumes and other seasonal merchandise that goes clearance the day after.

Back