Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

14.5% not 15%. Careful, you may get a guest that's a math whiz.

Well, Target Mom already has a Red Card or 6 and definitely isn't eyeing the Barbie Dreamhouse, so I'm probably good with approximate numbers. Not that it matters because it's excluded, but the Toys r Us couples might have been sold on it. That's what I call them because they aren't Target regulars, are only there to shop for toys, and in years past would have gone to Toys r Us. Typically they are late '20s or early '30s. Little Jenny would love the Dreamhouse, but it's just too much to spend on one thing.

We never ever have more than one person at guest service, and it’s been heinously busy lately, so backup button it is in hopes that hardlines or market will take pity on us when we have a huge line. Plus, we are expected to ring out guests’ full carts of stuff when the line at SCO is getting long or if they don’t want to use SCO. Leaves pretty much no time for defectives during the day
There should always be one actual cashier lane open at all times, a second temporarily opened if that line gets long, and SCO should only allow 20 items or less at all retail/grocery stores to help prevent long lines and theft.

Another stupid question.. say a guest bought something and the next day it goes down in price or on clearence. What’s the best course of action?
I’ve had other GS say no and others refund and resell. Whats the most efficient.

(I’ve been employed for a month. I’m sorry if my questions are stupid.)

Another stupid question.. say a guest bought something and the next day it goes down in price or on clearence. What’s the best course of action?
I’ve had other GS say no and others refund and resell. Whats the most efficient.

you can adjust sale items, you cannot adjust clearance items.

not a stupid question. OFFICIAL policy is guest must return, and find on the floor.

for seasonal items, follow the above.

for anything else, return and rebuy is usually ok* or scan receipt k1 match target print ad if it's just a sale, not clearance

*use best judgement and talk to GSTL because all stores are not the same (ASANTS)

Some unfortunate toy exclusions there. They include some items that people really want to get but that are just a bit more than they want to spend on a single toy. I could probably move a few of them and shock the GSTL in the process by telling people they can get 15% off by combining the military discount with a new red card. Maybe. They'd still be pretty damn expensive after taxes.
Those are the same exclusion with every category coupon target has

We have a 14 day price adjustment policy. If an item goes on sale (not clearance) you can scan the receipt and you should be given an option for adjustment. If it went on clearance then it's a no-go.

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to come clean at the end of the day when the softlines TL drops off 2 carts full of softlines detectives to the GS desk on a daily basis :( pretty much all of it has no tags and most things don’t even have the sewn in tag with the DPCI... I hate leaving a mess but I just can’t get it all done ;; my store has been real busy lately and it’s just been me by myself over there so I try to ask for help but everyone else is just as busy

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to come clean at the end of the day when the softlines TL drops off 2 carts full of softlines detectives to the GS desk on a daily basis :( pretty much all of it has no tags and most things don’t even have the sewn in tag with the DPCI... I hate leaving a mess but I just can’t get it all done ;; my store has been real busy lately and it’s just been me by myself over there so I try to ask for help but everyone else is just as busy

i find myself wondering every day why they can't just do their own defectives at the FR now in myWork 2.0... why is that still a guest service responsibility?

i find myself wondering every day why they can't just do their own defectives at the FR now in myWork 2.0... why is that still a guest service responsibility?
we’ve been trying to make this change because it is getting ridiculous especially with Q4 here and being expected to hang and fold all of their reshop. the one softlines tl has non stop complained about how they are so stressed and guest service does nothing and there is apparently “no reason why we can’t make time for it.”

Last edited:
SL in our store is responsible for their defectives. I have enough to do and doing two carts of their defectives at the end of the night is not one of them. They are also making .50 an hour more so they better manage their time better.

ASANTS. A & A is responsible for their own defectives. If you want me to do their defectives then pay me the extra money they make.

When I was GE (ayo my last day was Friday, I'm so happy!!) softlines had to do their own defectives. It used to be that I would allow them to bring them to the service desk when it was slow. Problem was, we'd get pretty busy all of a sudden and they'd refuse to take it back. Then it'd basically sit there all day. Now they're not allowed to bring it up at all. Don't care if we're dead slow.

@REDcardJJ they could still do their own defectives before MW2.0. Just needed a PDA and a mobile printer. I had to show them multiple times. Even after we made them do their own defectives, they would still come to the front and hog a register and valuable space at the service desk. It was even worse when we had a line of guests and they're all upset that this one TM is helping no one. Had to have a talk with their ETL about why that wasn't going to work and she needed to start building in "Defecting 101" into her trainings.

we’ve been trying to make this change because it is getting ridiculous especially with Q4 here and being expected to hang and fold all of their reshop. the one softlines tl has non stop complained about how they are so stressed and guest service does nothing and there is apparently “no reason why we can’t make time for it.”
Oof sounds exactly like my store 😔

Salesfloor tms take care of their own defectives at my store.
At my store softlines does their own. We don’t have time for that. As for salesfloor, if it’s like one thing we’ll do it. We don’t have time to do a cart full of detectives beyond the one-two carts of reshop/defectives/straight up trash they leave for us overnight 🙃🙃

If someone comes up and goes “this is broken” most TMs at my store are too lazy to train train them so they tell them to just leave it but I will ALWAYS take a couple minutes and show new TMs how to defect items or empty package and such. It will always save you time in the long run. I make TMs sort their own reshop and everything. If it was up to me apart of every TMs training would include sorting and defecting. Such simple tasks go a long way.

If someone comes up and goes “this is broken” most TMs at my store are too lazy to train train them so they tell them to just leave it but I will ALWAYS take a couple minutes and show new TMs how to defect items or empty package and such. It will always save you time in the long run. I make TMs sort their own reshop and everything. If it was up to me apart of every TMs training would include sorting and defecting. Such simple tasks go a long way.
Working GS, I am always willing to show TM's how to do defectives and empty packages.

What the hell am I supposed to do with coupons that the system won't recognize? I check the coupon. Guest has purchased the item. Coupon is not expired. It's a manufacturer's coupon. I've just been accepting because it's a small amount and we're told to just go ahead and make things right for a guest if it's $5 or less. But, am I doing that right?

Back