Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Reason #29,596,491,592,114,558,592^60 not to work at GS:

Stopped by GS today to get an exchange and was behind some guy whose belt broke and was showing about a foot of ass crack, also he smelled like shit. Nobody was behind me so I told the GSA chick after he left “brb about to go get a syringe and inject bleach into my eyeballs” welp I pussied out so now I’m just going to have to deal with these afterimages and wait for em to fade

Just a heads up: I’ve had this issue before, but it seems to be happening a lot more lately. Guests have been trying to return high value items on their registry and getting ridiculously high valued merchandise cards in return. I’ll decline it based on the part of the registry that says “items eligible for return,” but some guest service tms are doing it for people. Returning on the registry completely bypasses the limit on ID... so no prompt for exchange or limit on the merch cards. It’s a shame because these guys are going to ruin easy returns for the genuine baby shower returners.

A guy tried this with me last night and started arguing with me. I had this similiar situation a few times this past weekend, but this guy was the worst. He had over $300 in electronics to return and hads me his phone with baby registry barcode on it. He made a return with a receipt as well that was payed with a merch card with over $270 on it and had another receipt in that bag with a merch card that would have totaled over $500.

Just a heads up: I’ve had this issue before, but it seems to be happening a lot more lately. Guests have been trying to return high value items on their registry and getting ridiculously high valued merchandise cards in return. I’ll decline it based on the part of the registry that says “items eligible for return,” but some guest service tms are doing it for people. Returning on the registry completely bypasses the limit on ID... so no prompt for exchange or limit on the merch cards. It’s a shame because these guys are going to ruin easy returns for the genuine baby shower returners.

A guy tried this with me last night and started arguing with me. I had this similiar situation a few times this past weekend, but this guy was the worst. He had over $300 in electronics to return and hads me his phone with baby registry barcode on it. He made a return with a receipt as well that was payed with a merch card with over $270 on it and had another receipt in that bag with a merch card that would have totaled over $500.

What does your ETL AP say about this? You should let them know and follow their direction. Depending on how much of a backbone your STL has, he/she could definitely hold this against you. My STL never cared if guests were exploiting loopholes, as long as they weren't outright breaking policy. If you have AP's support in denying those exchanges then you have yourself covered.

I must be having a bad brain day, because I'm failing to comprehend what is wrong with a guest returning items that were purchased on registry, regardless of their value. Also, I had no idea that MRCs had a maximum value.

I must be having a bad brain day, because I'm failing to comprehend what is wrong with a guest returning items that were purchased on registry, regardless of their value. Also, I had no idea that MRCs had a maximum value.
They’re not purchased on the registry. It’s just a loophole to get around the no receipt return limit. He had no items on the registry except one box of diapers and it showed no items were purchased on that registry. The system doesn’t know that though and lets you put it through.
What does your ETL AP say about this? You should let them know and follow their direction. Depending on how much of a backbone your STL has, he/she could definitely hold this against you. My STL never cared if guests were exploiting loopholes, as long as they weren't outright breaking policy. If you have AP's support in denying those exchanges then you have yourself covered.
Our ETL-AP had us deny similar situations before and was okay with it. I plan to ask again though since it’s starting to happen so frequently, but he hasn’t been here. I should see him soon though.

Is it just a barcode? Like a screenshot? Is it attached to a legit registry?
Yeah, it’s a legit registry, but they generally have nothing or little to nothing added to it and it shows that nothing was purchased on said registry. If it’s a baby item or clearly an item that could have been purchased on the registry, I’ll still do it, but it’s been mainly high value electronics, phones cases, and heavily couponed expensive hba items attempting to be returned with it.

Can you refuse on that ground? That it wasn’t an item from the registry therefore no dice?

I hate how these schemesters figure stuff out and then somehow broadcast through some sort of schemester network and then every shady person is trying it.

I hope AP reads this stuff and clues in. Or maybe Target figures out this loophole and fixes it pronto.

Usually if nothing has been purchased from the registry it won’t let you return using it?? I’ve tried to use a registry to return some baby items and it blocked it, and when I looked it said nothing was purchased.

They’re not purchased on the registry. It’s just a loophole to get around the no receipt return limit. He had no items on the registry except one box of diapers and it showed no items were purchased on that registry. The system doesn’t know that though and lets you put it through.

Ah, I see. I missed that the items were not purchased from a gift registry. And I'm guessing that POS is not prompting you that the scanned items are not found on the registry, like it does for returns with receipt/gift receipt or a credit card lookup?

Ah, I see. I missed that the items were not purchased from a gift registry. And I'm guessing that POS is not prompting you that the scanned items are not found on the registry, like it does for returns with receipt/gift receipt or a credit card lookup?

Nope. So far as I know, it's an intentional loophole to allow those guests that have one of those big life events that makes a registry reasonable to return things that were purchased off registry. For instance, if the baby theme was safari and one of the guests got cow towels.

I could also see that being a compassionate policy for parents who lose their babies and don't want to have to try to sort out what was registry vs. not or gather receipts or whatever for returns.

But, shitty that people have to be shitty, as usual.

Presumably the items are stolen?

I've had a mother come in to return some items on her registry and the system would not let me return them through the registry. I called 718 to help with the returns and they told me that all the items we are attempting to return were added to the registry that very day and they could only use their ID until the limit was reached. When I repeated that to the guest she gave me an angry look and walked away. That was that.

I've had a mother come in to return some items on her registry and the system would not let me return them through the registry. I called 718 to help with the returns and they told me that all the items we are attempting to return were added to the registry that very day and they could only use their ID until the limit was reached. When I repeated that to the guest she gave me an angry look and walked away. That was that.
Yay for POS and 718 for stopping that!

Back