Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Someone on Reddit MySupported the no receipt return issue. Apparently, it's not a mistake. The price given is the lowest price that the item has ever been sold for at any Target is the no receipt return price. So, if the item has ever been on 90% off clearance at any store, that's the price that will be given.

Im sorry but I just dont believe that. I had a guest today bring in a defective Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker for $89.99. As a no receipt return it would give the guest $15. There is no way in hell that was $15 at one point. They would be flying off the shelves.

Black Friday doorbuster? It's possible.

Or perhaps just some store that got a million of them from the DC and they didn't sell well locally. I know we got a shitload of one convection oven and almost none of them sold. I don't know why. Just not a popular model locally I guess. Those things were around forever at steep discounts.

I know it doesn’t matter but I’m really not a fan of the SCO person having to act as the GSA/GSTL in absence of S&E TL. I don’t think that this idea aligns with the idea that guest advocates should always be there to help the guest, as they will have to step away from SCO to get change and to assist with other issues.

I know it doesn’t matter but I’m really not a fan of the SCO person having to act as the GSA/GSTL in absence of S&E TL. I don’t think that this idea aligns with the idea that guest advocates should always be there to help the guest, as they will have to step away from SCO to get change and to assist with other issues.
I agree. I’m at a high volume high risk store. I can’t see them ever implementing that here. AP is already on me if my SCO person isn’t walking by and greeting every guest. I’ve watched SCO and the front at the same time and it just doesn’t work at certain times of the day especially if we are trying to deter theft at all.

I agree. I’m at a high volume high risk store. I can’t see them ever implementing that here. AP is already on me if my SCO person isn’t walking by and greeting every guest. I’ve watched SCO and the front at the same time and it just doesn’t work at certain times of the day especially if we are trying to deter theft at all.
They have to implement it

you just have to rethink the way your front end operates. eventually the only reason you’d need to step away from SCO is alcohol overrides and change. any other situations the guest advocate would be able to handle on their own.

The 239 hallway where we keep change at my store is not near SCO so it will be hard for them to step away during busy times to get change

Edit: What it boils down to at my store is that my front end leadership is babying the front end and not expecting them to do anything more that they had to before. A lot of them are not up to the task and because of this, certain people are getting the short end of the stick and others are not expected to adapt to any of these new changes

if they can't handle being a guest advocate, they won't stay in the front end. eventually it's all gonna come tumbling down and your ETL-Service and Engagement and the Service and Engagement TLs will be held accountable for the fact that their team isn't performing. also, you should have a locked drawer either at the service desk or a checklane to keep change?

if they can't handle being a guest advocate, they won't stay in the front end. eventually it's all gonna come tumbling down and your ETL-Service and Engagement and the Service and Engagement TLs will be held accountable for the fact that their team isn't performing. also, you should have a locked drawer either at the service desk or a checklane to keep change?
We have one at the service desk which is on the opposite side of the store from the rest of the front end. I checked and none of the registers on the front end has a drawer that locks. We have been keeping the change inside of the 239 man trap.

Last edited:
if they can't handle being a guest advocate, they won't stay in the front end.
We have a fantastic cashier, who has been with target for 20 years. She’s one of the fastest and nicest we have, and always gets guest compliments. She also has mental issues that prevent her from doing GS (too complex). You’re saying she should be fired/moved out of her job of 20 years? I don’t know why target is convinced everyone needs to do everything. Some people are better at some things than others... target should want people to be where they can excel, not fail.

We have a fantastic cashier, who has been with target for 20 years. She’s one of the fastest and nicest we have, and always gets guest compliments. She also has mental issues that prevent her from doing GS (too complex). You’re saying she should be fired/moved out of her job of 20 years? I don’t know why target is convinced everyone needs to do everything. Some people are better at some things than others... target should want people to be where they can excel, not fail.

I'M not saying anything. i just work here. but that's the reality. cashier isn't a job anymore. guest advocates must work fluidly across the entire front end. that's the job. how i feel about it is irrelevant.

kind of interested how it will play out at a two story store. i guess just give keys to a cashier on that level, but seems kind of sucky. someone coming off the lanes/ sco to give change to electronics or guest service, which aren’t near each other or either of our two checklanes is going to be slighty difficult.

and i know guest advocates are supposed to be a certain way, but half our store doesn’t get held to a high enough standard, so i honestly do not believe the guest advocates at my store will be anything but the same cashiers they are today. you can tell me all day, “they should be,” but i bet the reality at a lot of stores is that they will not.

hell, we can’t even keep a cart attendant. at a certain point you just need bodies. can’t have a mass exodus if you’re struggling to hire and keep those new hires

I feel you guys and salesfloor also the rest of the store process.. This is where you jump ship to Fulfillment we're basically chilling being guests in the store shopping. I'm going to need some guest first service to help find this item I need please.

Oh it’ll work for sure at my store since my ETL scheduled me to close literally every day for the next 3 weeks
Mine asked me if I was willing to do that for 1-2 weeks so everyone could be properly trained. I said yes because if they’re going to do it, they need to be trained.

I keep hearing about everyone being able to override now to make guest happy, but in our store they have actually taken away override powers from former GSAs so now no one in the front end has it except the GSTLS, who don’t close by the way.

that's the opposite of what they should've done. former GSAs should be the first responders for overrides since their job code already allows them to do them. when myTime comes back up the new "Guest Advocate" job will have the ability to do overrides, so everyone will.

that's the opposite of what they should've done. former GSAs should be the first responders for overrides since their job code already allows them to do them. when myTime comes back up the new "Guest Advocate" job will have the ability to do overrides, so everyone will.
Will it automatically give us override or will we need to be coded

I'm usually scheduled at self-checkout and I'm not liking the new responsibilities laid out in that they have to hold onto front end keys, getting change and resolving other issues. In fact, this kind of relates to an issue I had at Self-checkout yesterday. The scheduled SETL had to leave early because he was over 40 hours and I was designated as the front end lead until the guest service team member covering for him would come back from his meal. I had a guest who bought eight baby formula items when we have to limit formula to four per guest. I was hoping that he would use coupons and I could go over to let him know about the limits, but he just paid with gift cards without applying any coupons and left. I let AP know about it, they said that they can't really stop these kinds of guests because they paid fairly, but they said just call GSTL over to limit them. Only problem is that I was the SETL at the time, but I just was too afraid of a confrontation in which the guest would have asked for a higher manager if I explained that I was acting as the manager. I know I could have called LOD, but I think the ETLs, GSTLs, and other team leads were training at the time as well. I just prefer to have someone else to rely upon to deal with these guests, not have the responsibility designated upon myself when I don't feel comfortable with it.

so according to my sd and etl ge, if there isn’t a “gsa” scheduled to close, one of the closing tls is responsible for closing and banking the lanes. that’s how it’s working at my store. we’re not training other guest advocates to close the lanes or open them. they don’t want to give more people access to the money.

don’t ask me... i just work here and do what my higher ups say 🤷‍♀️

^^ there is only one closing TL (LOD) though. Did you mean TM? Because that's how we are doing it at my store....a few trusted GAs trained to do closing duties in the absence of a GSTL. GSAs don't exist anymore so that's a moot point.

Back