Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Honestly, I don’t even know how to be a TL any more. It seems like everything I do is wrong. It feels like the floor is shifting beneath my feet. We have yet another SD and I think he’s putting pressure on my ETL to get rid of me. Our NPS is 80 and we’re meeting RedCard goals, but that means nothing. I’m really frustrated!

otherwise gm keeps it on their 3tier/uboat

I do this when I need water. Usually I'm fine waiting until break, but sometimes, if I've got a cold or just didn't get enough water during the day I'll stash my water bottle on my 3 tier and hope nobody notices. My leadership aren't hardasses about stuff like that, so I'm pretty sure the most I'd get is a "you know you're not supposed to have water on the floor, right?" from my ETL.

Honestly, I don’t even know how to be a TL any more. It seems like everything I do is wrong. It feels like the floor is shifting beneath my feet. We have yet another SD and I think he’s putting pressure on my ETL to get rid of me. Our NPS is 80 and we’re meeting RedCard goals, but that means nothing. I’m really frustrated!
Welcome to my life. Until modernization hit my store last year, I was considered a "go to" team leader. In nearly 15 years at my store, I have worked in almost every department. I was forced into the SETL role last year & it is the worst job ever. We have a brand new SE ETL & I truly believe if she had someone to take my place; I would be gone.
I am so sorry you are going through this. Good luck!!

Last edited:

if you have sky high NPS (and make no mistake 80 is terrific) and meeting rc goals, what are they on you about? nitpicky stuff or does it feel like something more?

Curious: Is your guest service team allowed to have water? It was typically allowed out of guest view, but our ETL says “hard no” ever since he took over. Drive ups get so hot that we’ve been hiding water and he’s been either dumping out personal water bottles and lost and founding them or throwing out bottles while yelling at us. No negotiations.

We’ve already had 80 degree days and we are all absolutely dreading 90+ with humidity plus being alone at the desk. Curious about other stores?
Not at all, unless we have a doctor's note with a specific diagnosis stating why. (I have a diagnosis, but I'm not going to my doctor during a pandemic for a note.) Why? Our new DSD decided a guest seeing us take a sip of water wasn't "brand." (The horror! We're human beings who require hydration!) If we come replete with note, the bottle can't be a refillable bottle brought from home. It has to be a single-use-plastic (grr) bottle of water. (This regulation came down pre-COVID.)

It gets blistering hot in our store in the warm months (which last a while down here), and if we still have to wear those masks, I guess I'm going to have to go get my note, pandemic or no (though my doctor is pretty laid-back and may put it in the mail). But ... I'll buy my water at Costco, not Spot.

Not at all, unless we have a doctor's note with a specific diagnosis stating why. (I have a diagnosis, but I'm not going to my doctor during a pandemic for a note.) Why? Our new DSD decided a guest seeing us take a sip of water wasn't "brand." (The horror! We're human beings who require hydration!) If we come replete with note, the bottle can't be a refillable bottle brought from home. It has to be a single-use-plastic (grr) bottle of water. (This regulation came down pre-COVID.)

It gets blistering hot in our store in the warm months (which last a while down here), and if we still have to wear those masks, I guess I'm going to have to go get my note, pandemic or no (though my doctor is pretty laid-back and may put it in the mail). But ... I'll buy my water at Costco, not Spot.
My store is in Texas. It is already ridiculously hot in our building. I keep a 24 pack of water on my desk for my team. It isn't cold, but it is better than nothing. Keeping my team healthy might be the hill I die on. Dehydration & heat stroke is a real concern here.

I liked the mycheckout when we first started using it for line busting on busy weekends. I was the only one that used it, but then I just got annoyed with it. They’re pretty buggy at times and payment will just stop being accepted. Closing out of the app or rebooting usually fixes it, but it happened to often to keep enjoying it. The only time I’ve ever suggested it is when every lane is open and there is still a line because opening another lane is always better/ faster.

My concern with using the mycheckout now is that there is no ability to distance. At least the lanes have the glass. The guest is going to be right in my face even if we try to keep distance and I don’t really feel comfortable with that.

Doubt it will fly, but the local Chick-Fil-A duct taped a credit card reader to a stick for their customers to insert payment from a distance. Could also be used to verify details prior to submitting the order.

They’re pretty buggy at times and payment will just stop being accepted. Closing out of the app or rebooting usually fixes it, but it happened to often to keep enjoying it.
Yup, that’s me in electronics. Imagine how happy guests are when their payment is accepted on the verifone yet doesn’t actually go through on the device. Often they get a pending charge with their bank too.

Update: I was pulled off stage and coached again. Next comes corrective action. My ETL stands around with a clipboard taking notes. Everything I do is wrong. I’m the only SETL right now and we should have 2or 3. My ETL does not help me with anything. I’ve seen the other ETLs help their TLs with accountability conversations and documentation. They even helped them get their reviews finished. I get constant criticism without any recognition. I’m not exaggerating, I promise. The writing is on the wall. They’re performancing me out as fast as possible.

Update: I was pulled off stage and coached again. Next comes corrective action. My ETL stands around with a clipboard taking notes. Everything I do is wrong. I’m the only SETL right now and we should have 2or 3. My ETL does not help me with anything. I’ve seen the other ETLs help their TLs with accountability conversations and documentation. They even helped them get their reviews finished. I get constant criticism without any recognition. I’m not exaggerating, I promise. The writing is on the wall. They’re performancing me out as fast as possible.
Talk to ETL HR, get them on your side if possible.

Thats insane... ETLs like that need to get something better to do with their life. Whats the point of being so unhelpful and then cause their only TL that seems to be doing perfectly fine, even better than fine to leave them with nothing.

Back