Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

My ETL/HR is...well, a nightmare. She sends snotty emails to everyone about what she’s going to do, but doesn’t follow up. She will tell us something then deny it later. She and my ETL got away with doing nothing for the last 2-3 years. Now they have to do actual work and they are really unhappy. They’re taking it out on everyone.

Redeye, thanks. I need the support right now. I used to love my job and looked forward to coming to work. Now I’m so stressed out that I can’t sleep. Maybe I’m just not cut out to be a team lead after all.
I honestly don’t know how to hold my team accountable for impossible standards. My ETL could not do what she expects my TMs to do under the best of circumstances.
Today I found out the cart wiper/counter is supposed to be line busting with the MCO. The poor TM was so busy counting, wiping carts and greeting guests that I couldn’t even show her how to use the MCO.

I honestly don’t know how to hold my team accountable for impossible standards. My ETL could not do what she expects my TMs to do under the best of circumstances.
Literally this. This is what I see my one TL struggling with the most lately. She’s doing her best and the team is doing their best, but with hour cuts they want the TMs to do 3-4 different jobs at once and have it all be perfectly smooth. My one TL actually cares about her team and knows it is impossible and it trying to fight for us. The other TL is just a kiss up to the ETL (that stands around and does nothing, either observes or hides in office).

I’m not even a TL, but I’ll be the only one scheduled under Service and Engagement TL for an entire opening shift or the only one of the weekend and I’m also expected to make sure the minimal team members I have are able to do it. I got talked to about our drive ups being really red (we haven’t had a green day in months) and that’s a sign that leadership in the front end must’ve have been poor that weekend (me! i was the only “leadership” and i was quick to point out i am not a leader!) not like the one cashier, one sco person also counting and cleaning carts, and two at guest service had anything to do with that. .... oh god this was a long rant, my bad.

Update: I was pulled off stage and coached again. Next comes corrective action. My ETL stands around with a clipboard taking notes. Everything I do is wrong. I’m the only SETL right now and we should have 2or 3. My ETL does not help me with anything. I’ve seen the other ETLs help their TLs with accountability conversations and documentation. They even helped them get their reviews finished. I get constant criticism without any recognition. I’m not exaggerating, I promise. The writing is on the wall. They’re performancing me out as fast as possible.

Go on a 30 day paid LOA.

If your ETL is constantly coaching without giving you direction for improvement, that's def cause to talk with HR under 'creating a hostile workplace' & 'setting you up for failure'.
Depends on the HR manager. They would in general side with the ETL over you in every instance, unless that have gotten many complaints about them.

Redeye, thanks. I need the support right now. I used to love my job and looked forward to coming to work. Now I’m so stressed out that I can’t sleep. Maybe I’m just not cut out to be a team lead after all.
Today I found out the cart wiper/counter is supposed to be line busting with the MCO. The poor TM was so busy counting, wiping carts and greeting guests that I couldn’t even show her how to use the MCO.
This is absolutely fucked up and I'm sure you are absolutely cut out to be a TL. This is not how being a TL should be at all. I went though hell as a simple TM because my manager was sociopathic and hated me on top of that (though she kind of hated everyone). If you look at my post history a year ago, you would see what I was going through. I was filled with some of the worst anxiety I have ever experienced everyday I woke up for work and I already deal with general anxiety.

This is ridiculous in every way and anyone with sympathy and a brain would logically be behind you in this. It really is a tough position to be in, especially in your case. I have not read this whole thread (obviously, maybe all this has been talked about) but do you have any other ETLs you feel you could talk to about this?

Go on a 30 day paid LOA.
The thing is about that is... you won't get paid unless you have a good reason, like you are medically vulnerable, at least that is my understanding of it. I couldn't get paid for mine. Maybe you could get paid if you are a lead though.

My store has its first confirmed case of Covid-19. I would bet that we will have a lot of team members going back out on LOA. The MCO is going to stay in the equipment room. I don't have enough help at the check lanes as it is. Our SE ETL is on vacation; wr are doing the best we can with minimal support from the SD or other ETL'S.

I am over it; they can fire me any time as I am on final. I used the stimulus money to get ahead on house payments & as I grew up poor, I can pinch pennies until they bleed. I am old so I can take my 401k if necessary.

Update: I was pulled off stage and coached again. Next comes corrective action. My ETL stands around with a clipboard taking notes. Everything I do is wrong. I’m the only SETL right now and we should have 2or 3. My ETL does not help me with anything. I’ve seen the other ETLs help their TLs with accountability conversations and documentation. They even helped them get their reviews finished. I get constant criticism without any recognition. I’m not exaggerating, I promise. The writing is on the wall. They’re performancing me out as fast as possible.
I am so sorry. I wish I could offer some advice to you. Your store sounds like mine & your situation sounds just like mine. GOOD LUCK!!

Oh my, I feel for you. Once you are targeted (haha), it is very hard to reverse. There was a time I was giving my ALL but was being coached constantly , HR was riding my ass daily. I think they were just hoping I would give up and quit cause there was no real basis to fire me. I Ended up so paranoid and frustrated that I requested a meeting with HRBP. When we talked I explained everything and I was reassured that I couldn’t be fired without the hrbp approval and they had my back as long as I could prove I was following best practice in all my responsibilities. Not long after the HR ETL was fired and all of a sudden I wasn’t doing anything wrong anymore.

Talk to ETL HR, get them on your side if possible.
You definitely could use a partner. It may be unlikely that one ETL will interfere with another ETL’s TL but a friendly ear to share your concerns with and to hear your side of the story could alleviate some anxiety. I wish you the best. All my years at Target have given me many ups and downs on the roller coaster ride. I have survived many 100% leadership rotations -lost count of the number of ETL’s I’ve cycled through - including many HR’s and SD’s. If you loved your job at one time then HANG in there and show ‘em by outlasting them !
‘I’ve been a SETL and know how stressful it can get - and that was BEFORE drive-up responsibilities! If at all possible ask if there is another opening in the store (before you are on a final), with a different ETL. it is unfair to you if there is simply a personality conflict between you and you ETL.

Thats insane... ETLs like that need to get something better to do with their life. Whats the point of being so unhelpful and then cause their only TL that seems to be doing perfectly fine, even better than fine to leave them with nothing.
Sometimes an ETL prefers to work with a different TL and need to get the current one out first. Ugly practice for sure.
it is unfortunate that HR may not be a resource.

That sounds like a big NO. Our ‘cleaner’ - counter/cart wiper is told to do NOTHING else ! When there are no guests they are told to wipe and wipe some more, any and all surfaces - no zoning/pushing/backing up......nothing else ! I think it is more of a PR thing to show ‘we care, we are cleaning’ but no matter ‘why’.

^^ yeah, we were using the cleaner to back up on occasion when lines got especially long but no more. Now, the cleaner only cleans carts. It might because the cart wipes are on backorder so guests can't really do it themselves. Plus the PR. Always the PR.

The thing is about that is... you won't get paid unless you have a good reason, like you are medically vulnerable, at least that is my understanding of it. I couldn't get paid for mine. Maybe you could get paid if you are a lead though.

I'm sure many doctors will say someone is medically qualified. Does target actually get to know the specific medical condition? (I didn't take the LOA) And who knows. Maybe BullseyeBabe is qualified. No TLs or ETLs at my store took a LOA. I have a feeling they were told not too. I know at least two who would easily qualify.

^^ yeah, we were using the cleaner to back up on occasion when lines got especially long but no more. Now, the cleaner only cleans carts. It might because the cart wipes are on backorder so guests can't really do it themselves. Plus the PR. Always the PR.

They need to schedule more cashiers! Last night we had 1 on reg and one on sco and the line was down to market. We had to flex from GS since "no one was on the floor" which made the DU times hit 18 minutes! Fuck you and your damn scheduling target/etl who made the schedule.

I'm sure many doctors will say someone is medically qualified. Does target actually get to know the specific medical condition? (I didn't take the LOA) And who knows. Maybe BullseyeBabe is qualified. No TLs or ETLs at my store took a LOA. I have a feeling they were told not too. I know at least two who would easily qualify.
None? Lucky you. We are running on 50% leadership- a scheduling nightmare .

How many of you do not have the cameras that do the counting? Is it just at my store? Seems weird that we don’t.

Part of my coaching yesterday was that the cart wiping/counter did not have the MCO. When I took it over to her later, she was so busy I couldn’t even show her how to use it.

Several of our TLs went on leave and one of them was on a “stress leave.”

I can’t thank you guys enough for your kind words of encouragement. I will continue to try my best to use the feedback I’m getting to get the results they want. It’s just that I don’t believe some of their expectations are based on reality.

@BullseyeBabe, I really think your store could get in a lot of trouble for expecting the cart cleaners to do MCO too. As far as I understand, they aren't to be doing ANYTHING but cleaning. I think that directive was clarified last week or so which is why my store doesn't divert them to other tasks anymore. Also, if Corp is watching to see if TMs are wearing masks, who's to say they aren't watching how the cleaners are being used?

I'm not one to advocate for hotline calls, but this might be a good time to use it. Or an anonymous tip to the local media about how your store isn't taking cleaning seriously....

Back