Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

It would be nice if Spot had such a concept as float hours where they could schedule someone (or two someones), probably some variety of sales floor TM, whose role that day is to fill in wherever is needed. Maybe they're primarily sales floor (freight, reshop, pulls, etc.) but can help with flex or cashier or cart cleaner or whatever as needed.

Otherwise it really fucking sucks as a sales floor TM to go backup the lanes. You're never 'not with a guest' so much as 'between guests' and it's hard enough to get stuff done as it is. You end up losing more time than you actually spend at the lanes to get back to your area and back into whatever it was you were doing, once you calm down the annoyed guests who can't find a TM in your area to help them and get the reshop that's built up at the service desk, etc. etc.
Ooo, please. I like that. At least ONE person all day - doing reshop continuously but running to backup when called, then back to reshop.
entire job title: reshop engineer and line buster to the rescue !

or “floater” - when not backing up - find something to zone - do reshop - help someone push - do ANYTHING until you are called to back-up.
But know that = That back-up call is for YOU.

Last edited:
They must handle quarantine differently at your store bc at mine, GS has to hang all clothing that requires a hanger and fold everything else. We have a hanging rack and 2 repack boxes full every night plus a cart (sometimes 2) full of soft goods quarantine.

we do about 4 carts per day total plus two carts of soft hardlines but i really like your idea of using repack boxes, tyvm

we continue to do the quarantine process because it is part of the process. i don't really have the option of not doing it, but once the fitting rooms reopen (which they will) i imagine the quarantine process will go with it

They must handle quarantine differently at your store bc at mine, GS has to hang all clothing that requires a hanger and fold everything else. We have a hanging rack and 2 repack boxes full every night plus a cart (sometimes 2) full of soft goods quarantine.
Guest Services does not hang Softlines at my store, quarantine or no.

At my store quarantine is put in repack boxes. One box for tops, one for bottoms, and one for shoes purses belts etc.. if they return on hanger we leave on hanger but, throw in repack box.

T
I offer my tech keys to gm now as "hey you can have immunity from checklanes if you watch tech for my lunch" works every time
That is brilliant! Often times I’m the only person working in electronics and the second I go for a 15 or lunch guest services announces electronics has a call and the help call box thing goes off on all 3 alerts.

Do any of you have trouble clearing online orders sometimes> I have found that when a TM modifies the quantity, that some zebras can't clear it. The OK button, to acknowledge the quantity change, doesn't look right and nothing happens when you press it. Then we figured out that it is only the my devices where someone has adjusted the size of things in accessibility. If you are dealing with this, change the font size to normal or default and you can clear those orders. If you do it while running out drive ups, you will have to rescan stickers though.

Ok. Corp really should turn DUs off during certain weather conditions, I.e. extreme cold. If Corp has a policy that a TM shouldn’t be outside for more than 5 minutes at a time in sub-freezing temperatures, I’m not sure how that works when there are multiple DUs at the same time and only one TM running them.

Ok. Corp really should turn DUs off during certain weather conditions, I.e. extreme cold. If Corp has a policy that a TM shouldn’t be outside for more than 5 minutes at a time in sub-freezing temperatures, I’m not sure how that works when there are multiple DUs at the same time and only one TM running them.
No need to turn it off.. just post a drive up closed sign outside and inform guests to go inside to pickup their order. Target has signs on workbench for this already.

When we have the single digit temps, some of us wear base layer pants under our jeans plus we have gloves and a hat. Because we usually have multiple people on at GS we could rotate people when they got cold. I can't get over all the entitled people who don't want to get out of their cars because it is soooo cold, but will do a drive up. One of them was a TM who just finished her shift. Her shit might have been dropped on a floor before taking it out.

One of them was a TM who just finished her shift. Her shit might have been dropped on a floor before taking it out.

To be honest, you don't live in that TM's brain, you don't know what invisible limitations there are. There may be a really good reason that the TM needed her stuff carried to her car for her.

Due to a misdiagnosis (meaning prescribed treatment that made it considerably worse, not better) I had a simple injury take months to heal. I was on a 5 lb push/pull and lift/carry restriction for 8ish months, somewhere in the middle in a sling for 2 weeks (great story about that). Limitation meant all of life, not just work life. Carrying groceries was hell because of all the steps that I had to take to favor my arm (pushing and steering a cart one handed, I couldn't buy anything that required two hands, needed bags packed lightly enough to be lifted chest high one handed), most of which were subtle enough that many people didn't notice.

Ok yes. But no.

The TM could've purchased her stuff in store and asked for assistance out to her car. She could've used a cart. If the TM was just working, I'm pretty sure she didn't have an invisible injury that allowed her to work but not to take her purchases out to the car, using a cart or otherwise.

I do OPU all the time for stuff when I'm closing, so I'm not in the store shopping more than absolutely necessary after close, but I can't really imagine doing drive up (assuming a hypothetical shift where I wasn't closing).

Get my stuff from the service desk on the way out the door? Sure. Get in my car and wait for someone to bring it to me after walking out the door? Uhhhhh....

As a TM I could never imagine making my coworkers bring stuff out to my car, except in the case of genuine illness or, say, COVID quarantine (so I may end up using drive up for the first time ever, depending on my son's test results).

Ok yes. But no.

The TM could've purchased her stuff in store and asked for assistance out to her car. She could've used a cart. If the TM was just working, I'm pretty sure she didn't have an invisible injury that allowed her to work but not to take her purchases out to the car, using a cart or otherwise.
Or at the end of the day she was hurting far too much to do that final shopping. Injuries are a bitch and there are times at the end of the workday you want to cry a lot.

The thing is, you are judging and you don't know. You are assuming the worst of her when there are all sorts of reasons it's justified.

No, she is just kind of lazy. She forgot to get her order and didn't feel like coming back in. Her words, not mine. She was also a pop up and it was during the dinner rush.

Or at the end of the day she was hurting far too much to do that final shopping. Injuries are a bitch and there are times at the end of the workday you want to cry a lot.

The thing is, you are judging and you don't know. You are assuming the worst of her when there are all sorts of reasons it's justified.
I'm at the tail end (knock wood) of a bad arthritis flare-up in my left knee and can attest to this. For the past couple of weeks, at the end of my shift I just wanted to make it to the time clock and to my car ASAP.

Again, no. DUs are filled through Fulfillment and can take up to 2-4 hours to put to hold. This was not a "I am hurting and can't do my final shopping". This was premeditated and lazy as corroborated by the actual TM who took out her order and heard her reasons. She also was more than welcome to pick it up at GS on her way out the door.

Again, no. DUs are filled through Fulfillment and can take up to 2-4 hours to put to hold. This was not a "I am hurting and can't do my final shopping". This was premeditated and lazy as corroborated by the actual TM who took out her order and heard her reasons. She also was more than welcome to pick it up at GS on her way out the door.
I am sorry that you have no ability to judge how much pain you will likely be in later in the day and plan ahead, including your ability to push around objects heavy to you.

Do you also judge people looking perfectly fine and apparently walking without trouble when they park in handicap spots?

Did you not read what the TM said when the TBR TM delivered her stuff to the car? Invisible illness had nothing to do with it. End of conversation.

Back