Archived Cashing in vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to cash in vacation? My first thought is no, but after further thinking, I can see it going like this ...

I pick a week in the future. Let's say the third week of October. I put in 20 hours of vacation.

Now, come that week, let's assume I work 39 hours. I'll get paid 39 hours plus 20 hours vacation.

And since vacation can't be overtime, I should get paid for 59 hours straight time for that week.

Would that work?

Any hr people here that can answer?

Nope, doesn't work that way.
Your vay-cay will be put in only up to your weekly avg.
Say your avg hrs worked/wk is 33 & you put in your 20 hrs vay-cay but work 39 hrs that week.
No vay-cay will be allotted because you exceeded your avg hrs thru work.
If you put in for 20 & you only worked 20, you would only get 13 of your vay-cay hrs you requested.
You can put in for them but your week's punches are entered into payroll the following Monday & the system will not let you go over your avg.
Best thing is to do whatever you can to boost your avg hrs over time. You can also accrue more vay-cay over time as your avg goes up.

Does anyone know if you quit without giving two weeks notice, do you get your unused vacation time payed to you?

In TX you don't get paid out for PH regardless how you leave, whether voluntarily or in cuffs.

Back in the good ole days we got paid weekly and we could cash in our vacation! Used to be nice earing 3-4 weeks paid vacation a year and cashing in 1-2 weeks during 4th quarter and working 60 hours a week during those vacation weeks for nice big ole checks!

How many hours are we allowed to accrue?

Up to double of your annual rate & that's according to how long you've been with spot.
5 yrs+ will accrue 2 wks/yr, can bank up to 4 wks before losing vay-cay accrual.
10 yrs+ will accrue 3 wks/yr, can bank up to 6 wks before losing vay-cay accrual.
Personal holidays work the same way: you can bank up to twice your annual accrual but I forgot the accrual rate for PH.

Annual rate? Do you mean average weekly hours?

Yes, weekly avg.
I forget what the accrual is less than 5 yrs; I believe it's a week after you've worked 1000+ hrs.
I was coming up on the 4 week mark when I quit.

Does anyone know how sick hours are applied? I submitted a form to use my sick hours around 4PM (they say the cutoff time is Monday at midnight) but the hours weren't added to my paycheck. Does it get added to my next paycheck? And is there any reason why it didn't go through when HR team members are the ones who add them and I handed it right to an HR TM;

Um, I just got word today this is all changing. Cashing out, what you are not paid out when you leave and how much you can accrue before it stops accruing. This changes in 2016. You won't be pd out any time when you quit. You can only carry over 1.5 times your annual accrual. Apparently this new info is on pay and benefits as well.

Um, I just got word today this is all changing. Cashing out, what you are not paid out when you leave and how much you can accrue before it stops accruing. This changes in 2016. You won't be pd out any time when you quit. You can only carry over 1.5 times your annual accrual. Apparently this new info is on pay and benefits as well.
That's bulls$@t! We earned it and now target corp raped us and steal from us! After 15 years work for spot and I'm ready to quit this bulls$@t job!

The whole reasoning is they want you to actually take it when you're working. They also are giving us 4 hours of well being a year to help with drs appts and stuff and 2 weeks of parental time off as well for when a baby is born. I think that's pretty cool!

Doesn't matter in my state. Yes, they can limit it to 1.5 times the accrual amount, but state law says they have to pay out earned vacation at the end..no matter what the written policy claims. Sucks to be Spot!

Note, my state does not allow pay out for personal hours, so please check your state law. Even if you don't get paid out for personal hours, you may still get paid out for vacation upon employment separation.

Dayum.
I got out just in time.
Of course, folks can put in vay-cay for x number of hrs before their last day but if you're termed you're SOL.

3. I have accrued vacation time/sick time/personal leave days that I will not use before leaving my company. Is the company required to pay me for that time?
It depends on the type of leave that you have. 24 states--Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island (after one year of employment), Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wyoming--and the District of Columbia require that your employer include any unused vacation pay that has accrued (that you would have been entitled to use) in your final paycheck.

Source: https://www.workplacefairness.org/final-pay#3

So they are so hard up for money, they are willing to put a policy into place that won't affect half the states (including Minnesota and people at the corporate office!) because of employment laws, and will screw over the other half of the states. Classy.

3. I have accrued vacation time/sick time/personal leave days that I will not use before leaving my company. Is the company required to pay me for that time?
It depends on the type of leave that you have. 24 states--Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island (after one year of employment), Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wyoming--and the District of Columbia require that your employer include any unused vacation pay that has accrued (that you would have been entitled to use) in your final paycheck.

Source: https://www.workplacefairness.org/final-pay#3

So they are so hard up for money, they are willing to put a policy into place that won't affect half the states (including Minnesota and people at the corporate office!) because of employment laws, and will screw over the other half of the states. Classy.
It's not uncommon for our store to see people put in their two weeks and take it in vacation time instead of working. I'm in one of the states that has to pay vacation out. I did just hear this though. Two weeks for a baby isn't helping everyone. I'll take back the extra twenty hours accrual.

Might as well have me waive the right to breaks and pay vacation on my anniversary like hubby's job does. Then we know up front we are going to be hustled.

I have been told the same thing today. Some things to add:

1). You will have a ONE TIME pay out of you have more than the 1.5 times the annual accrual going into 2016.
For example, you may not have more than 200 hours vacation (100 hrs. max per year + 50 hrs. 1.5 carry over) under the new rule and you are at 210 hours, you would be paid out 10 hours vacation.
This was explained to me, however I don't understand fully understand for the hours that I max out at every year wouldn't even go over the 'new hours' that I can have. Not sure if this equation is based on the 'new bank' hours or the old ones. Sort of confused.

2). For every year that passes 80 hours from your 'old banked' hours will carry over to the 'new bank'.

I receive more hours under the new vacation scale, but I wouldn't ever use them all, I don't even use all the ones I have now. I personally do not like this new vacation thing, however this is just my opinion, as I am sure that others will be happy.

A friend of mine works for the state & always winds up accruing massive amts of comp time thru her agency.
If it's not used by their deadline (think it's August), it becomes sick leave.
In years past, her boss seldom let her take off time to use it until she was in danger of it rolling over to sick leave.
More than once she got nearly a whole month off because of the boss' poor planning.
Fortunately, it doesn't happen under her new boss.

There was a state employee who never took his vacation and sick leave so that for last two years he worked before he retired, he set it up so that he took off Friday and Monday of every week.
While a three day work week might seem like a great idea, his coworkers weren't all that thrilled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back