Changes for VMs

the only thing i can foresee....

Is you are also now the new Signing TM!, Congrats, btw, you have a 2 Pallets on the line, can you get them taken care of in the next hour?
Oh Ya!, we have been looking for that new FOS Shipt, Stanchion.... Why don't we have it?

You get to reply, "I am not sure I think they never sent it, as I hadn't seen anything. I'll go ahead and order it".

Once it arrives, (two weeks later) and you get to set it, (feeling all proud, another mission accomplished), another ETL asks you, why are you putting this up? We don't get shipt for another 6 months?.

I need a beers.

I thought they just downgraded/killed the TL position of VMs so i don't see any growth it that position.

Yeah I’m definitely still a lead. I’m basically like the modernization captain. Apparently, according to my HR, the Target team is about to see why VMs are important and why we are supposed to be really focused on merchandising. All of my leaders are being really vague though.

My HR said she heard Target was about to make some changes to the VM role. One of those changes being ways that VMs can move up in the company? Has anyone else heard this information or anything new about visual merchandisers at Target. I would love to see some changes!
I’ve been around Target long enough to tell you that sounds like the “dangling carrot” treatment.

The VM is not a Lead under the PILOT and has no managerial work load. But is in a equal role to the other lead's, so kinda like it already was lol.
The VM is a lead at our store and we are a pilot. However, the VM does not have a team. So there's that.

Why is everyone so rude to VMs??? I do not understand. All I did was ask a simple question regarding changes to my role that are coming up. If you don’t have anything nice to say, why say anything at all?

You're new, it's not your fault.
When the job was created a lot of ill will was created because,

A) nobody who already worked for the company was given a shot at the job (well maybe a few but you can count them on one hand).

B) some of them were a bit, how do you put it, above themselves. Which isn't really their fault. They were told the job was going to be one thing and it really wasn't.

C) many of the people here recognized what a clusterfuck the whole job position was going to be and called it from the beginning which brought a number of very, understandable, hostile responses from the VMs.

D) the afternamed clusterfuck did cluster and now many people are really tired of the whole thing.

E) which really isn't your fault, so don't take it personally.

You are walking into this cold.
Sorry that you have to walk through the cluster that Spot has spilled all over the place.

Last edited:
MEGATHREAD - VM TL - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/vm-tl.11736/

This may answer some questions. From another thread:
This guide is an work in progress since this team/position is brand new and will adapt and modify in the upcoming months/year.

What areas is this team responsible for?
- Softlines Visual Impact Areas (All the visual parts of Softlines. So everything in Softlines except tables and endcaps)
- Hardlines Home Goods Renovation (or current home goods in non renovated stores)
- Other store decided Hardlines Areas (Varies by store)

What are the key focuses of this team?
-Visual Impact Areas are full and appealing
-Mannequins are kept to the color scheme that corporate is going for and replacement outfits match said theme
(example: 70's outfits in black/tan)
-Home Goods Area is maintained to the impact area guide for Home Goods and matches the color scheme as defined by Corporate
-Additional areas are kept to Brand as defined by the store

I believe this would be defined as a Planogram like team that is focused on all visual areas in the store.
Most teams would have a Visual Merch Lead/TL and one or two MBTMs (Merch Brand Team Members)
Note: *ASANTS*

This is a team that will help set expectations and drive sales in this exciting opportunity to increase sales through impulse buying and building outfits that help guests pick out combinations and continue on with their shopping.

I will update this guide as new information come up. Any current VMLs/VMTLs that can comment on daily workload/expectations please chime in.

I'll let those degree wielding folk chime in with what Target is looking for since clearly us folks who been here awhile don't know what they want.

Thanks @Captainzim.

Why is everyone so rude to VMs??? I do not understand. All I did was ask a simple question regarding changes to my role that are coming up. If you don’t have anything nice to say, why say anything at all?

Initially, when I came to The BR...... I, too, wanted to share my thoughts on the VM(TL)(L)(?) role with everyone. I wanted to "explain" why the role is important. Quickly, VERY QUICKLY, I learned (from other TBR-ers) that the role was not well-received, not well-planned out (bad, Spot, bad), not executed well by other VMs (too smug, arrogant, finger-pointy).
So, I STOPPED "explaining" and started "listening". And...... from that, I learned that the Teams need help, support and guidance. They need a "leader(?)" who will work WITH them to get things done.
I do not follow the VM Learning Plan and expect everyone to "do this/do that" and audit them later. I am not a "clip-board trainer". I get down and dirty w/ the Team.

Lastly........ My VM role is not any better than anyone else's role. I am part of the Team. We all need each other to be successful.

The VM role when you consider the level of overall expectations and responsibilities has turned into a role very much like what I am in (SR APS) and to a certain degree, PMT. We are all very well paid TMs, much like TLs, but we are not actually TLs. Just keep that in mind.

I can’t speak for other people, but personally I don’t want you to get your hopes up. A lot of us have been around the company long enough to recognize you will probably get screwed in the end. Other than a unilateral move to a TL position, I see no opportunities for advancement at the store level. And above the store level is very unlikely. Just saying.

What areas is this team responsible for?
- Softlines Visual Impact Areas (All the visual parts of Softlines. So everything in Softlines except tables and endcaps)

The VM at my store spends 99% of her time in Home Innovation. We are about a week and a half to two weeks behind on VMGs in A&A.

Is this happening anywhere else?

It’s a joke to pretend to have routines. You spend your whole week at the mercy of the LOD and still try to finish everything in your routines, new vmgs, purging and merchandising decode in home, and helping with the softlines push process.

it's the way target added the position. They did it in a way that would create animosity no matter how nice or skilled the actual vm was. And they seemed to have no clue what they were even gonna do with the position. It was literally just the same work the TLs had already been doing for a long time. TLs who applied for her job and weren't allowed to interview had to train her on doing The VAs and what not. The workcenter seems to have a clear goal, makes use of her creativity, and all that jazz now, but the bad relationships are already formed.

And she still doesn't have a team, so I'm not sure why saying she's not a leader would be a not nice thing to say. When she's actually doing her work, it's impactful and has a clear usefulness, but still... no team under her. I don't have an answer for your original question. Last I saw my vm, she said she's supposedly getting a team soon, when our grey remodel is done. But idk if that info is still good or if there are caveats or anything.

I'm 80% A&A; 20% Home. 100% running fast to get it all done.

Same here.

The VM role when you consider the level of overall expectations and responsibilities has turned into a role very much like what I am in (SR APS) and to a certain degree, PMT. We are all very well paid TMs, much like TLs, but we are not actually TLs. Just keep that in mind.

Also, with the various title changes etc I'm still expected to walk with leadership when we have visits. So I get thinking of VM along the same lines as these other roles. Like, lone wolf not a lead? But still consulted like a lead?

Back