Archived Consolidating berry packages

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be a story and then a question.

I came into work today for a shift in Consumables as P.A. One of the first things I heard was that my ETL told the opener to consolidate berry packages. What I mean by this is, for example, if we run across a 1lb package of strawberries that has 3 white fuzzy ones in it, we are to throw the 3 fuzzy ones away and replace them with 3 good ones from a second package. My first reaction was "that's disgusting." Not because I would have to touch the fuzzy strawberries, but because as a guest I would not want to buy berries mixed in that fashion. Later in my shift my TL came up to me to inform me of this process. I politely told her I acknowledge what she is saying, but that I was not going to consolidate packages like this. About 30 minutes later, my ETL comes up to me and informs me of the consolidation process and says the instruction comes from a boss of our DTL. Again I politely inform him that I acknowledge his statement but I will not be consolidating berries like that. He then mentions that I may be given a Corrective Action for not following instructions. I roger up and continue my shift.

My question is: Do any other PAs reading this consolidate berries in this fashion?

That's terrible. Mold spores spread!!! You probably wouldn't get sick eating such a strawberry, but I would be upset knowing employees were doing this. I don't understand how it could possibly be worth it either. That must take a lot of time.

I've heard of doing this with eggs, but that makes sense.

You could always just do it, and be a big loud mouth about it to guests. As soon as a guest complains, that would be all over.

Mold creates threads that are not easily seen by the human eye.
I was going to invisible but there was bound to be someone who would chime in and say they could see them.
Unless you are washing the baskets of berries that you took the moldy berries out of they still have mold in them.

Blueberry mold won't hurt people unless they are allergic or have weakened immune systems but why take the chance?
Strawberry mold on the other hand can have nasty side effects if eaten in too large of doses.
Most of this info is easily found online.
You could look it up and print it off.

I'd do the links but I'm on my phone and it's being a bitch.

What a knob. Touch mold with your hands, then touch other products? Great idea. Cheat customers out of three strawberries? Even better idea. Me thinks this isn't a DTL directive, but an overzealous ETL wanting to reduce QMOS numbers but is too moronic to understand basic food safety principals.

What's next? Turn the 6 on the expiration dates of meat to an 8?

I sometimes work in market and I was told yesterday by another sales floor TM that we are now supposed to be consolidating berry packages. She happen to mention it because I was standing near the berries when we were chatting. She said the market TL is refusing to do it. It also seems like at least one PA is refusing to do it as well because I saw some moldy berry packages in the qmos bin yesterday when I came in. I haven't been specifically told to do this yet, but I'm guessing I'll be told soon. But I agree, that is super gross.

Last edited:
Aren't the berries all labeled with weights? What happened to the weights and measures laws we used to be so afraid of? What happens if someone weighs their produce and discovers they were ripped off?
Nah, only certain meats are weighed.

@glo The berries are preweighed and labeled though. Usually 1 lb. or 6 oz at my store. The ad actually features berries by weight this week. Someone could get fined for this....
I'm sure if you were to weigh each and every package, you'd see weight vary a bit. Tell me you haven't seen a 1lb package of strawberries that felt a little light. Is that enough for a class action lawsuit? I doubt it

I'm sure if you were to weigh each and every package, you'd see weight vary a bit. Tell me you haven't seen a 1lb package of strawberries that felt a little light. Is that enough for a class action lawsuit? I doubt it

Someone sued RedBull because their product didn't actually give them wings. Suing Target for tampering with packages of strawberries, and replacing moldy ones with "fresher" ones thus exposing consumers to mold and inaccurately weighed product seems like a way more legitimate case. It's 100% enough for a class action lawsuit. Well, as soon as someone get's sick or ripped off.

Someone sued RedBull because their product didn't actually give them wings. Suing Target for tampering with packages of strawberries, and replacing moldy ones with "fresher" ones thus exposing consumers to mold and inaccurately weighed product seems like a way more legitimate case. It's 100% enough for a class action lawsuit. Well, as soon as someone get's sick or ripped off.
Let's do this then!

True. Got a case of red bull from one of the settlements.

There was a recent class action lawsuit against a tuna company because their cans of tuna weighed less than what it said on the can. I remember reading the article and it sounded like it was normally slightly less and had been going on for a while so you definitely were getting shorted. I believe people compensated with free tuna.

Or Steritech lady specifically teaches against this practice EVERY visit. She pulls berries to check every visit as well. I'd never do this either, but I've got more food safety training and practice than most lods.

WTF?? If I was ever told to do this, I'd straight up say no.

And if they threaten to write you up tell them you want the reason put in the write up, not just that you didn't follow instructions but what the instructions were so that the next time Steritech comes in you can share your write up.
I suspect your instructions will change.

I was told by both my store manager and sr. TL to never do this and if there's a fuzzy to toss immediately. Only thing you can 'consolidate' is bruised berries which I've been told to do before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back