Archived corrective action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pettjm54

Sales floor TL
so i had a team member who decided to take a 45 minute break when he was only scheduled for a 5 hour shift....

i coached him..

any thoughts? cause i was told something about a note to action or something like that.. what would you do?

I would do the same thing if they do it more once. Also, let the lod know & document the event, to avoid This happening with same tm when you are not there to catch them again.
Exception is, if tm is a minor, they may get 45 min break within a certain time period, depends on your state laws.
In my state, minor tm's get 30 min break & thats about it.
We have tm's at night who take a 25 minute break on a 15 min pd break. No tl's are working on certain nights to stop them.

Last edited:
HardlinesMaster is right on. Document your coaching and give to HR, partner with your other TLs.

HarlinesMaster, I had to laugh when you said they do it when there are no TLs there to catch them. I wanted to say, "Why aren't the Execs paying attention to what the team is doing?" Then I thought about it a minute....:facepalm:

We get coached if we work 5 hours without taking a lunch so we never get scheduled more then 4.75 unless we are scheduled for a lunch.

HardlinesMaster is right on. Document your coaching and give to HR, partner with your other TLs.

HarlinesMaster, I had to laugh when you said they do it when there are no TLs there to catch them. I wanted to say, "Why aren't the Execs paying attention to what the team is doing?" Then I thought about it a minute....:facepalm:
Lod busy checking email....
Then I tell what is happening on the floor. They say what? Walk the floor!
Duh!:facepalm:

Last edited:
Was it an unpaid or paid break?

If it was unpaid, I wouldn't have coached. If they choose to take an unpaid break then that's fine. They'll leave at their scheduled time and get paid for less. Sometimes TM's ask for a half instead of a 15 because they are sick or not feeling well or too upset over a guest incident.

If it was a paid break, definitely coach that.

In my state, a 5 hour shift entitles you to a 1/2 hour lunch and a 15 minute break. Of course, we would be required to clock out for the 3(1) minute lunch, but not the 15 minute break. If it happened at our store, they would probably just do a "punch correction" for 31 minutes AFTER the coaching...

It was a paid break. And the tm is not a minor. I do not have an ETL HR at the moment so I instead partnered with the ETL LOG (he's a flow TM) and the GM flow TL. I have documented the event in my personal files and my PA informed me that this is a common practice amongst tm's. So I have my work cut out for me:)

Thanks everyone for your input!

Ahhh yes the flow team "extended" breaks. Our team does it too. Exec's seem to never care about it sucking up payroll, but if the entire salesfloor team calls out, heaven forbid we replace anyone.

People who take extended breaks can be morale busters. Pretty soon other team members think if Billy bob can take a 25 minute break and no one cares so can I. Our store has everones breaks assigned. It is up to the TLOD to make sure breaks are started on time and flowing correctly. Every team members announces when they are leaving and who is watching their area(s). Previously we would have situations where 3 people from the salesfloor were on break at the same time. That can be a problem when there are only 4 people on the salesfloor total. The flow team all take break at the same time too. The flow TL calls break at the same time each day and announces when it is over. It does sound like we are babysitting, but it works. People who took extended breaks are now within guidelines. People who "forgot" to take break or "didn't have time" are also getting their earned breaks. The salesfloor is covered as it should be too. I think you were correct in having the conversation and documenting. If it is not addressed theTM thinks it is okay and will do it again.

People who take extended breaks can be morale busters. Pretty soon other team members think if Billy bob can take a 25 minute break and no one cares so can I. Our store has everones breaks assigned. It is up to the TLOD to make sure breaks are started on time and flowing correctly. Every team members announces when they are leaving and who is watching their area(s). Previously we would have situations where 3 people from the salesfloor were on break at the same time. That can be a problem when there are only 4 people on the salesfloor total. The flow team all take break at the same time too. The flow TL calls break at the same time each day and announces when it is over. It does sound like we are babysitting, but it works. People who took extended breaks are now within guidelines. People who "forgot" to take break or "didn't have time" are also getting their earned breaks. The salesfloor is covered as it should be too. I think you were correct in having the conversation and documenting. If it is not addressed theTM thinks it is okay and will do it again.

ive skipped a few breaks :D working backroom on a non truck day is pretty much a whole day break at my store

When I worked backroom day shifts, I pretty much never took my second 15. Because I took my first at around 3.5 hours in, and my lunch right before compliance at 6 hours. In an 8 hour shift, it would be a waste of time to take a second 15 at 7-ish hours.

When I worked backroom day shifts, I pretty much never took my second 15. Because I took my first at around 3.5 hours in, and my lunch right before compliance at 6 hours. In an 8 hour shift, it would be a waste of time to take a second 15 at 7-ish hours.

Agreed.. my PA's take there lunch prior the the 6 hour mark.. they then take their two 15's consecutively, a half hour before their shift ends.. so they dont work the final half hour.. which im fine with.. as they are able to get more work done once they work straight through.

As for the flow tm's i have to babysit them to the point where i use my timers used for pallets to time their breaks.. i also assign breaks on a shift sheet and is working so far..

if only i can get them to hurry up and get a sense of urgency to complete the truck on time...

I've been told it's against policy to have a TM take a break that ends their shift. As in, taking a 15 at 4:30 when you're supposed to leave at 4:45 and then clocking out. That doesn't seem like a break to me, it seems more like ending your shift early. Has anyone else heard this or am I wrong?

i agree.. but sadly it works... we are able to work straight through and not lose motivation on our tasks.

I've been told it's against policy to have a TM take a break that ends their shift. As in, taking a 15 at 4:30 when you're supposed to leave at 4:45 and then clocking out. That doesn't seem like a break to me, it seems more like ending your shift early. Has anyone else heard this or am I wrong?

I don't see the problem with it as you get the same amount of work done if not more by being able to not stop.

ya, 45 minutes is way too long of a break, though of course you want to do a seek to understand to make sure there weren't extenuating circumstances! But 20-25 mins? C'mon, give'em a break, they work for 7$/hr!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back