Archived Do you take pride in your work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why, not every job is worth caring for. I don't think Walwart greeters or Wendy's cashiers care a whole lot about their jobs

Yet they dedicate their time to it. That must really suck.

That mindset is baffling to me. I guess I can't get it.

Your place of employment isn't what matters, it's your work ethic.
Actually place of employment has a lot to do with it, if you work at a store where all the ETL's and TL's do is sit there gossiping and chatting with their thumbs up their asses while the TM's run the store on their own, chances are that affects their work ethic.

I take pride in my work but, working retail has taught me to never do one thing. Never do extraordinary work for an average review. A lot of past managers I have had would really bust their asses to get work done. When it came to that time of the year, their review might as well had been the same review given to a worker who was late everyday and did nothing but do the minimum work to get by. After seeing that for so many years and after experiencing some similar stuff like that before, I never bust my balls too hard for the job. If I'm getting a mediocre review, I'll earn it by doing mediocre work.

Also, my favorite ETL works a little too hard compared to most ETL's in my store. He was just told the other day that he needs to think more like an ETL than worker which I guess kind of makes sense. This guy hops on Myfa and does other responsibilities if too many people call off or if we really fall behind. Great guy. Doesn't deserve the crap he gets from the STL.

Last edited:
Actually place of employment has a lot to do with it, if you work at a store where all the ETL's and TL's do is sit there gossiping and chatting with their thumbs up their asses while the TM's run the store on their own, chances are that affects their work ethic.

This.

Also you see teams that are untouchable no matter what crap they turn out and how it just sabotages other teams but yet they get treated like the saviors of the store you stop caring since you know you have to do your job and fix theirs and are given crap about why its taking so long. Nope no pride in that. I do what I have to and take the money. They have made it clear we don't care that you care.

It's really hard for me to work without feeling pride in what I do and caring, but more and more lately I've had to stop and remind myself that you can't polish a turd and that every one of us is replaceable. Makes it much easier to stomach the awful days thanks to trainwreck management and to bite my tongue about it all.

Yes.

Sometimes I begrudgingly do my job, but I still do a good job. Despite other's [other team members] best attempts to make my job harder.

I mean...yes? But how much pride goes into cashiering/GS? I go into each shift trying to be pleasant to both guests and fellow TMs, trying to get a red card and take care of all the GS items like go-backs/salvage/CRC/change requests etc. But do I have pride in getting those things accomplished? I guess so....

Some ETLs are expensive roadblocks to progress, and I for one will be happy if more of the clowns in that position are phased out and the leadership is more invested in the Seniors.

I take immense pride in my work, but its honestly not because I'm a hard worker, but because I hate to disappoint. I'm so afraid of letting my team lead down. I also have extremely low self esteem, so when I do a good job and my boss(es) let me know, I love it. I hate public recognition though. Pat my head and tell me I did good and I guarantee I will bust my ass for you.
Bro I love you! If you were my TM I would be so proud of you. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. You are not alone never feel alone. There is no recompense for good , other than good. Keep your chin up!

I always do. Work would suck if I didn't care or try to do a good job. Even working 1 day a week now I do. But today I walked in and my TL instantly walked areas with me where I left a few items unlocated (a little oversight, totally taking responsibility but a small thing in the grand scheme of a messy backroom coming up on inventory). Never said a word about the 20ish pallets I cleared from the bulk steel last week. Cleared 29 more today and no mention of anything. Nice to meet you too.

The ETL and STL were grateful at least!

I don't have any special attachment to Target itself, or its "values" or mission or what have you, so there's no special pride in the work itself. I do, however, take pride in doing my work well. If I'm going to start something, I want to do it thoroughly from start to finish. Partly because they're paying me to do it, but mostly because it makes the day go by more quickly.

Last edited:
as I'm a cashier/GS I don't have much work to show pride on other than having very happy guests leaving.. I mean I try my hardests to make my areas look presentable like all the candies and all the reshop

Last edited:
Do I take pride in my work? Yeah, of course. Do I cry after I get off of work? Yeah, of course. Do I still cry as much? A little less now.

In all seriousness. I do take pride in my work. I have a Bachelor's and I'm working at a minimum wage job, but I don't really mind. The life struggle really helps out with gaining more experience (I can actually share my experience working in retail/Target now), especially at Target where you learn how to be incredibly patient with people. Do I come in to just get a paycheck? Yeah, I mean I need money to pay bills. But I do think it's decreased (the pride in my work) since I first started. I think it's just because people have been leaving, hours have generally decreased, me getting another job, and honestly some of the new TMs are just donkeys.

I don't have any special attachment to Target itself, or its "values" or mission or what have you, so there's no special pride in the work itself. I do, however, take pride in doing my work well. If I'm going to start something, I want to do it thoroughly from start to finish. Partly because they're paying me to do it, but mostly because it makes the day go by more quickly.

Same for me too. So e2e making it impossible to complete anything stresses me out. I wish I was able to take the whatever pay me approach because the more I have tried to say anything to leadership the more I am starting to dislike my store.

It depends now. When my old CTL was around the whole market team gave in 130% daily! He would encourage us, push us, challenge us, the best boss I've ever had. He got promoted and I whiffed at TL because I doubted myself so we got an internal and the whole team morale plummeted. So I am only proud when I work with the people who still actually care because on those special days we kill it like no other, like the good ol' days. Any other day I just work 90-100% because what's the point of the ctl let's anyone get away with it he doesn't care

(Warning: Geezer "When I was your age" advice follows.)

I take pride in my work for several reasons:
  • I work in a store in my hometown, so often run into neighbors and friends as guests. They deserve to be treated with consideration and respect, and for them to go home feeling that I have treated them fairly and had given them what they came for.
  • I want to back up and support coworkers I respect, and often consider friends, and help facilitate their personal and professional goals.
  • Even late in a career, I want to reinforce good work habits and attitude in myself, to stay employable, even to advance. A long working life can motivate self-awareness and self-reflection, and I want to have good answers to, "Why am I here?" and, "What did I accomplish?"
  • The quality of my work as a bicycle assembler directly impacts the safety of the general public, including children.
Now it's reasonable to ask what's in it for you. Don't allow a single-minded work ethic to turn into a slave ethic (e.g., "Pharaoh's men sure do beat and starve us, but these pyramids are going to be admired by people thousands of years into the future."), but also don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can "get back" at a bad work situation and bad leaders by doing your job badly. That hurts your intended targets only minimally, and only really hurts you in the end. If you are working at Target and have challenges like gossipy leaders, manager's pets treated with favoritism, slackers not sharing the load, etc., ask yourself how much that really impacts you and your ability to do your job and go home with a paycheck. If you can't do it for Target, do it for leaders you like, do it for coworkers you like, do it for the work experience so that you can say with pride to future employers that, yes, working in retail was tough, but I rose to it, and didn't get pulled low by petty people and unfair situations.

Last edited:
When I first started, I honestly thought it was the best job ever. Then I went on vacation for a bit and the entire leadership structure had changed. Our front end used to be really chipper and willing to help guests, but since the leadership change, it now seems like over half the front end is just going through the motions / not caring as much as they once did.

For myself personally, I don't enjoy the job like I once did, but I do make a damn good effort, to make sure my guests are satisfied when they leave my lane. If I can please a guest simply by asking how they want something bagged, and then hearing that they appreciate that I took the time to ask, then yes, that's something I take a lot of pride in.

I try to but often find I have don't the time to really do a task, so I can stand back and say I am proud of my work. Also if I do 100% on one task fifty others are at 10% or less.

As a VMTL... I used to take great pride in my work and helping develop the softlines and seasonal (think Easter, Christmas, L&P) teams in learning how to flex, set adjacencies, merchandise properly. But recently, my Softlines TL has become very jealous of me and bitches to everyone about how I "take over" their team. I'm at the point of giving up. I have done merchandising and retail management for years and this individual has zero retail experience and zero merchandising experience. I don't understand. I can potentially provide you with nearly 40 extra hours for your department and yet you shit talk me daily.... I give up in trying. I guess I will become one of those high paid "do nothing" TLs

You two have different roles to play, but there is a lot of overlap with the team. The new Brand Guide has the roles and responsibilities for the style team partnerships. Ask for a sit down with your SLTL and ETL to discuss the changes. It's a great time for a fresh start, and don't be shy talking to SLTL about her behaviour.

Ask for a sit down with your SLTL and ETL to discuss the changes. It's a great time for a fresh start, and don't be shy talking to SLTL about her behaviour.

I would love to, but I currently have neither. It's a tough situation. Our HR is very new and is leaving in August and according to the DTL I won't be getting an ETL for maybe 2 months minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back