Archived Do you take pride in your work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or is it just a job to you? Mainly asked at the people who has been here for a few years. With all the changes a lot people end up doing thing they didn't originally for or want to do like flow moving 6am or the addition of SFS which usually got filled by random logistic TMs

Or in stocks dying

Do you still take pride in your work? Or are you just coasting showing up for a check. Tbh, I only show up so I don't get fired. It's weird

I was raised that if you are going to do something take pride in yourself and do a good job. I don't always agree with Target on how I get treated , hours etc. BUT I do know that I will always go in and bust my ass . I wish I could count on Spot the way Spot can count on me .

I started 2.5 years ago as a cashier working 20ish hours a week as a second job. I LOVED it. I busted my butt, leadership supported me and I jumped at the chance to cross train and busted my butt even more. Due to other circumstances, Target became my full-time gig. I'm now cross trained all over the store and average 30-35+ hours per week. I no longer enjoy the job. The favoritism, the hiring people who are just going to NCNS/quit anyway stealing my hours, the gossiping leaders, etc have gotten to me. I just show up for the paycheck, biding my time. I do the job properly, but no longer put in the extra effort due to the lack of recognition.

It goes back and forth for me.

Right now I'm mostly coasting, but hopefully that'll just be until I find a new task to really own, since a couple of the new processes took my main task away from me.

It doesn't help that this is a really, really difficult/frustrating time for me personally, so I'm already having to drag myself to work every day anyways...at least before I felt like I was making a difference (nothing meaningful, but it was nice to be able to see tangible improvements) whereas now I just feel like I'm floating around between lots of random/dumb tasks, so it's hard to find much motivation from the work itself.

Basically, I need a job, and I desperately need health insurance. Target's benefits work perfectly for my needs- I've been super lucky there...so the thought of switching jobs is a total joke. I'm stuck for the foreseeable future, whether I enjoy my job or not.

(edit: and I should mention that when I say 'coasting' I mean 'doing my job and going home'...I'm not wasting time or letting my co-workers pull my weight...I just meant that I'm not really into my job right now)

Up until around 2005 working at my former Super.
Transferred to a Super working mainly as a Cart Attendant. The store treated CA's like crap. No one would lift a finger for a carry out, spill, FA order, Recycling Machines, or grease drop. It all landed on the CA's shoulders.

Then when I transferred back to my regular store now having 6 years Front End experience and multiple TLs vouching for me. The new store management decided to pass me over several times. They stated to my face I had to earn my way back up when I transferred back.

Do I take pride in my work? Yeah, of course. Do I cry after I get off of work? Yeah, of course. Do I still cry as much? A little less now.

In all seriousness. I do take pride in my work. I have a Bachelor's and I'm working at a minimum wage job, but I don't really mind. The life struggle really helps out with gaining more experience (I can actually share my experience working in retail/Target now), especially at Target where you learn how to be incredibly patient with people. Do I come in to just get a paycheck? Yeah, I mean I need money to pay bills. But I do think it's decreased (the pride in my work) since I first started. I think it's just because people have been leaving, hours have generally decreased, me getting another job, and honestly some of the new TMs are just donkeys.

yes its great to take pride get the pfresh valley fresh and full as fast as possible

also like to see sales planners set that makes me feel good when I finish and it looks great for a whole 2 seconds, until the guest comes by and trashes it.

I keep telling myself that I'm over it, that it's been ruined for me. But at the end of the day, I still really care. I'm still on TBR learning as much as I can everytime a process changes, and I'm still working as hard as I can to get as much done as possible. I'm still determined to make the day turn out alright no matter who I am working with, or what obstacles we face that shift. As frustrated as Spot may make me.. I still take pride deep down.

It depends on the workcenter I'm scheduled in for the day. As the Cosmetics Brand TM absolutely. It's extremely satisfying watching the direct correlation between work put in and sales going up, or even something as simple as scanning for outs and seeing the product come in. When I'm working as a GSA, not at all, especially now that we aren't allowed to leave the lanes or zone surrounding areas. I feel like a fool when nobody responds to my calls and guests are staring at me to do something. We haven't made Redcard goals in months which makes it worse.

I do, yes. I always try and do a good job and make sure everything is done right. I see a lot of my co-workers doing as little as possible to get by and I just shake my head because why wouldn't you wanna work for your money? Being lazy isn't a way to go through life.

That being said, my recent crappy review has got me second guessing why I work so hard if it's unappreciated. Leadership is so quick to criticize but never give praise where praise is due. It's a two way street.

I keep telling myself that I'm over it, that it's been ruined for me. But at the end of the day, I still really care. I'm still on TBR learning as much as I can everytime a process changes, and I'm still working as hard as I can to get as much done as possible. I'm still determined to make the day turn out alright no matter who I am working with, or what obstacles we face that shift. As frustrated as Spot may make me.. I still take pride deep down.
verbatim the way I feel

That being said, my recent crappy review has got me second guessing why I work so hard if it's unappreciated. Leadership is so quick to criticize but never give praise where praise is due. It's a two way street.

This is me pretty much. Over the last 3 years we lost all but me and another TM as a BRTM. So all the extra workload has been tossed on, from flexes an SFS, to throwing out Market's and Salesfloor's trash. Even doing all that and beating all my time goals I only ended up with a 28 cent raise lol. I apparetnly as a brtm need to "engage guest" and other bullshit that I realistically can't do. So now I just show up, skip all that extra shit and leave,

Like, I'll open, do the audit, flexes and just backstock inbetween. We used to actively pull Dcode, EXFs and stuff but we just stopped. Why care if no one else does. It doesn't help that one ETL will tell us to jump into POGs while another says pull EXFs but then the Flow TM says backstock

I usually just take my break then

I have ADHD and if I didn't take pride in my work, I wouldn't be working, but searching for shinys.

I don't understand people who work but don't take pride in it. I feel bad for them

I take immense pride in my work, but its honestly not because I'm a hard worker, but because I hate to disappoint. I'm so afraid of letting my team lead down. I also have extremely low self esteem, so when I do a good job and my boss(es) let me know, I love it. I hate public recognition though. Pat my head and tell me I did good and I guarantee I will bust my ass for you.

I've been coming and going on that. When I first started, I was full of that exuberance that you see in a lot of new team members. It was great; I got up in the morning, worked from 6AM until whenever and then went home. I crosstrained into other areas, and I was happy.

Then as time went on, I started to see a lot of the shadier side of the workplace. Favoritism, gossip, poor leadership, etc. Everyone thought I was weird and it really got to me. I was incredibly depressed. Shortly thereafter, I died. This was the best thing that happened to me, because once I lost that but was stuck here for some reason, I came to an epiphany. This situation isn't going to get better if I be weird and keep to myself 24/7.

From there I decided to make the best of my situation. I'm never going to be a leader or a leader's pet making high 30 to 40 hours a week, so I said 'fuck it' and just enjoy myself. I started opening up to people, trying harder to be more resourceful and think faster on my feet, see how well I could do just for myself. It sounds silly, but I wanted to do it for me. Now I'm off flow, and I'm on the salesfloor as a part of the style team. I have much more friends, and I'm really happy to work here again.

Reading some of these other posts has made me realize how much I really miss being on the sales floor. Despite all the crap going on, I feel like I'd be much happier at work if I was able to actually do something productive again. I feel like part of the reason I feel so demotivated at work lately is the fact that my position has had virtually everything taken away from it, to the point that we really don't do a whole lot of anything anymore. When I was on the floor and actually helping the store function, I felt great. When I became the unofficial third Hardlines TL at my store and helped set POG's and teach the new TM's, I felt great. When I first became a TPS and could actively work on shortage resolution, I felt great. Now that we're stuck up front as greeters, doing basically nothing, there's no pride, no feeling of accomplishment at the end of a long day, and no feeling of purpose, really. To reiterate what I said before, I still try to have some sort of positive impact in my work, but when the company won't help you to help themselves, it gets tough.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Well, as a cashier, we don't have much responsibility past merch protection and making sure guests get checked out, soo.... idk it's like 50/50.

But I show up to hopefully get off of a check lane and do some floor work. I'm working super hard to even be remotely considered to shift work centers. Apparently it's hard lol. Is it weird I want more maturity and responsibility as part of my role at Target? I'm sort of borderline at the point of maybe even becoming a leader if ever possible at one point.

I don't understand people who work but don't take pride in it. I feel bad for them
Why, not every job is worth caring for. I don't think Walwart greeters or Wendy's cashiers care a whole lot about their jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back