MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

^^ I'm learning not to stress out, but other people on the team are stressing the heck out, lol. Part of it is, I've got one TM who is desperately trying to promote, so they are constantly in a state of constant stress over Market because they feel like how it does reflects on them and their promotion chances. But the thing is, if you're being set up for failure by not being given enough people/hours to do the workload, what can you do? For me personally, I'm not going to break my back trying to do the work of two people just...because the ETL's want me to? Nah. I'm not slow, but I'm not going to run around the store frantically trying to make miracles happen. That's not my job.

BUT. I also am not desperate to promote. So I guess I view it a little differently.

Yeah market is great for the hours. Our open availability team members never dip below 30 and our grandfathered in PAs are at 36-40.

However the team always feels like they are behind. The truth is if you are in market you cant take it too personally. Our old P.A. quit. Because he was like "this is too hard!"

Clock in, clock out and get on with your life. Target doesn't know how to do grocery there's a reason they keep changing grocery czars every year. It will never be a strength in the company. Just something we halfass

They need to go back to Super Targets. It may not be as directly profitable but people don't buy their groceries from stores that can't fill a shopping list. People skipping over a PFresh to go to Wal-Mart Supercenters or even Kroger (they have added a ton of hardlines type stuff over the years) means less foot traffic in our stores and less impulse purchases. There's a reason the top 3 stores in our district happen to be Supers.

They need to go back to Super Targets. It may not be as directly profitable but people don't buy their groceries from stores that can't fill a shopping list. People skipping over a PFresh to go to Wal-Mart Supercenters or even Kroger (they have added a ton of hardlines type stuff over the years) means less foot traffic in our stores and less impulse purchases. There's a reason the top 3 stores in our district happen to be Supers.
The problem is that it would be far too costly to convert pfresh stores to supers (would likely have to involve adding square footage to every building), and then they would still have to sell groceries right on the margins to stay competitive.

I kind of think they should remove groceries entirely and use the space to add capacity for SFS. They'll lose foot traffic, but that's inevitable anyways with the way shopping in brick and mortar stores has been trending.

I agree it would be too costly to convert the Pfresh stores into Supers but it's something we should be doing from this point forward (depending on local markets).

I disagree with killing the grocery side entirely, you would lose far too much foot traffic. Damn near 40% of my store's sales comes from grocery alone. That's not even considering the people who came in to just get a loaf of bread and left with $100 worth of random GM stuff.

Damn near 40% of my store's sales comes from grocery alone

Sales maybe but as chronicled here already, our margins in grocery are tiny. Apparel and home decor is where target makes it's sales.

We will never compete with the top grocers so investing more into it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I agree that ship from store is a better investment in terms of sales per square foot. Can't say how many times we "missed sales" then sfs drops in and we made it by 40K

The problem is that it would be far too costly to convert pfresh stores to supers (would likely have to involve adding square footage to every building), and then they would still have to sell groceries right on the margins to stay competitive.

I kind of think they should remove groceries entirely and use the space to add capacity for SFS. They'll lose foot traffic, but that's inevitable anyways with the way shopping in brick and mortar stores has been trending.
I actually disagree. I think they should do grocery fully and take the space from the underperforming areas. Honestly most walmart groceries are shit. Kroger is unionized. All we need to do is get it together and do it right. Why do you all think Whole foods was bought by Amazon?

I actually disagree. I think they should do grocery fully and take the space from the underperforming areas.
They would need to at least double the current size of grocery. What underperforming areas would they take the space from? Softlines is one of the most profitable areas and it already takes up half the store.

Why do you all think Whole foods was bought by Amazon?

Empire-building. you can expect a lot more of these "acquisitions" by Amazon in the near future, provided they aren't struck down by antitrust legislation. Bezos wants to be to retail what Bell was to telephone service and he ain't stoppin until he gets it. That's kind of the direction the market is headed in general: guy starts up a new brand that takes off, gets established and then waits by the phone for Bezos to call with an offer so he can cash the fuck out. And Bezos is more than happy to plunk down rolls of cash on the table until he owns everybody

The idea is using the grocery sales to increase foot traffic to boost higher margin areas.

Don't forget our bread and butter are those higher margin areas. Selling to suburban women and millenials.

Grocery isn't going to bring people in. We will never have low enough prices to compete with the top grocers. And most people who buy groceries are looking for either premium organics *whole foods* or low prices *kroger,winco*

We will always fall somewhere between

We will never have low enough prices to compete with the top grocers

I find Target is very competitive. Before I worked there I did a comparison with our usual market and found for our typical list at Target was cheaper. I'm not a couponer so this is straight across plus the 5%. It's a p fresh store and I can do all of our shopping there if I need to. It may not be super profitable for them but it is for me!! :)

I find Target is very competitive. Before I worked there I did a comparison with our usual market and found for our typical list at Target was cheaper. I'm not a couponer so this is straight across plus the 5%. It's a p fresh store and I can do all of our shopping there if I need to. It may not be super profitable for them but it is for me!! :)
I find Target to be comparable to local chains, but it's really the discount and convenience that pushes it to the top of my list. If I didn't get the discount and if I wasn't in there 5 times a week, I'd almost certainly shop elsewhere. There just isn't that big of a selection, and I often find myself having to make extra stops to get certain things like that one size jar of Pace salsa, or a certain flavor frozen pizza, or a certain brand of pasta sauce, etc.

Grocery isn't going to bring people in.

Grocery brings a lot of people in. There's a reason Wal-Mart hasn't gutted their grocery sections like we did. They even build standalone grocery stores in areas that won't allow a supercenter.

I find Target to be comparable to local chains, but it's really the discount and convenience that pushes it to the top of my list.

Our prices are pretty similar to local chains as well except I find Kroger to be much more expensive.

If I didn't get the discount and if I wasn't in there 5 times a week, I'd almost certainly shop elsewhere. There just isn't that big of a selection, and I often find myself having to make extra stops to get certain things like that one size jar of Pace salsa, or a certain flavor frozen pizza, or a certain brand of pasta sauce, etc.

Selection is a huge problem with PFresh stores. I pass by 2 PFresh stores to shop at my store because I just can't rely on filling my shopping list at a Pfresh. If it wasn't for the discount, I would be shopping at the Wal-Mart supercenter that's only 2 miles away instead.

Last edited:
It's not the prices so much for me as it is the items stocked. I cook and bake from scratch and can't find nearly everything on my grocery list at my store even with the expanded grocery section. It's fine for a few things here and there, but not the regular shopping.

End to end is the worst during 4th qtr. We have freight on the the floor all day. Softlines piling up in the back. Trailer not getting empty by the time next truck comes.
I hope it gets better soon. Our trailer is emptied before the next one comes, no problem (we're a low-volume store), but the back room this morning was a nightmare. Had to consolidate some back stock so I could have a tub on the floor to put back stock on. Had to off-load the contents of a u-boat so I could leave an empty one for the line when I took a full one. And some areas were so clogged with piled up tubs and flats and u-boats - yikes. The back stock seems to be multiplying by itself.

I hope it gets better soon. Our trailer is emptied before the next one comes, no problem (we're a low-volume store), but the back room this morning was a nightmare. Had to consolidate some back stock so I could have a tub on the floor to put back stock on. Had to off-load the contents of a u-boat so I could leave an empty one for the line when I took a full one. And some areas were so clogged with piled up tubs and flats and u-boats - yikes. The back stock seems to be multiplying by itself.
And guest still can’t find the item they want on the shelf it’s empty.

Surprised at how many here are still referring to E2E, the model name changed back in July from DTL communication it is called STORE MODERNIZATION. I giggle, but also worry we're not all getting the same story in what in the hell is happening. Q4 over the last month has turned into a joke, only its not funny, super disappointing to see the store that once had the best scores, lowest turnover, etc slump so low. With today's acquisition of SHIPT, does this mean we're now hiring expert hires with driving history from Uber and Lyft to deliver groceries in the coming year. What is Happening!!!

Surprised at how many here are still referring to E2E, the model name changed back in July from DTL communication it is called STORE MODERNIZATION. I giggle, but also worry we're not all getting the same story in what in the hell is happening. Q4 over the last month has turned into a joke, only its not funny, super disappointing to see the store that once had the best scores, lowest turnover, etc slump so low. With today's acquisition of SHIPT, does this mean we're now hiring expert hires with driving history from Uber and Lyft to deliver groceries in the coming year. What is Happening!!!
What is happening? Corporate is trying to pivot from big box chain to online giant with stores. And we are witnessing it live.
E2E is far easier to type than the snooty Store modernization.

Besides do you feel your store is becoming more modern? Most TMs don't. Most TLs don't. And when the blood letting truly begins I doubt even less will feel that when the demotions or terms for failing to 'modernize' enough. (then again, I might be completely wrong and no one gets canned at all, we all simply get invited to Hell. Hell, Morty! Wubba Lubba dub dub! (google that if you haven't. Its a cool easter egg)

It's a Christmas miracle...my store is dropping E2E! I know for sure they are trying to build a backroom team and flow is going to start scanning trucks again. Grocery is staying the same since it works, not sure about other areas. Hopefully they will stop with the metered unload too.

We just need softlines to drop this E2E bullshit since they can't do it and 20+ carts of hanging push and 15 z-racks full of push just floating for the last week plus what comes on the trucks adding to the mess. It has to stop cause we are now just INF internet orders since so much crap you physically can't get to for all their push that won't actually push..

Back