Archived ETL- Logistics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone i am in my 3rd week of business college traing for an etl logistics. This has been a good guide to follow up on some gaps in training. THanks everyone for the intel and in advance for your help!

One quick question.........what do the flow tm's want in an etl logistics? A etl coming in at 3:30 helping to unload the truck with them or a etl who comes in at 6:00?

welcome!

what i look for in an ETL is someone who will lead us by example, not just by barking out orders. My old ETL LOG was the best, not only did he give us the right directions, he was very enthusiastic about what he did. he would work along side us when he could, me and him unloaded a big truck day in 45 mins, and we were going crazy unloading it! he ACTUALLY made coming in at 4am fun for us. he led our logistics to being number one in our area, smashing other stores with our numbers. he was pretty much everyones friend and everyone respected him to the highest extent. trust me you won't be able to win the hearts of everyone in your Teams, but being reasonable and not being stubborn is the best way to go. if the store your going to is doing good, don't try to change things drastically, if it isn't broken, why bother trying to fix it? we've had this mistake at my store, not very many people like change

i am saying this on behalf of a current flow team member, but i am also a backroom team member and this is what i expect out of my ETL as a backroom team member. i want the backroom i work in to be clean, and very accessible to equipment and merchandise. if your backroom team is happy with their current set up of the backroom, please don't change it. our ETL now wanted us to switch around some of our bulk pallets to different stockrooms and in and out of receiving, it was a mess! and wasted payroll, the way we had it before was a lot better.

if your Logistics team is happy, then they most likely have good TLs that know what they are doing and know how to run the place. Ask the TLs of your teams what they do to keep good practices

Welcome to The Break Room! You're going to be an ETL-Log? They must think highly of you, as most new ETLs start out in GE or Sales Floor. Based on what I've read on here, Logistics is one of the more challenging (but also rewarding) areas to manage. Best of luck to you!

Most TMs in any workcenter will want their ETL to do the dirty work with them. If you work alongside them, you'll get to know your team; however, you will need time for leadership work. After all, you will be their boss, so you need to know your team (especially their wins and opps), but also be able to lead them effectively.

I'll let the Logistics folks take it from here.

The team will want you to be in at 4AM and work alongside them all the time... I mean it depends on previous leaders to an extent, but most of the time that is the case. What most of the team doesn't realize is that there is alot of other work that goes into the Log position besides the day-to-day operations, and that the ETL-LOG (especially ones that are by themselves without an ETL-Repl) shouldn't be too involved in it. They need to make sure the day-to-day managing of the trailer unload is being handled by strong team leaders, so developing the team leaders you have is going to be most important, unless you want to do it all yourself... but plan on being there 60+ hours a week if you do that!

I think if an ETL takes the time to work along side team members every now and again he will be not only respected by the team but also have more insight. For instance every day you hear people saying how hot it is on the sales floor. As hot as it is, for the team that just threw the truck in a 100 degree trailer it would feel like air conditioning. Stocking using the 1 minute per box rule is a heck of a lot easier in the cereal aisle compared to pegged candy. Fifo'ing on the bottom shelf in the canned veggie aisle sounds good in theory.....Once someone has done this for more than 10 minutes they can understand the frustration or roadblocks that aren't always accounted for in theory. You don't have to spend all day every day working next to the team, but knowing that on a large workload day you are willing to roll up your sleeves and help out when needed. I really like the ETL LOG being at the door when the team comes in. They can set the mood for the day. The team lead can run the process and the ETL can use the time for planning or computer work. My favorite"aha" moment was when the new STL couldn't understand how a 2300 piece truck with 225 repacks could take longer than a 2500 piece truck with 60 repacks. (22 carts of back to school pens, pencils etc.not to mention the horror of the H&B repacks)I love when she would ask how big the truck was. She never asked about how much was actually push. I think the team also respects and needs consistency. Don't change your expectations for "big visits". If you accept less than the best every day, that is what you will get.

I think if an ETL takes the time to work along side team members every now and again he will be not only respected by the team but also have more insight. For instance every day you hear people saying how hot it is on the sales floor. As hot as it is, for the team that just threw the truck in a 100 degree trailer it would feel like air conditioning. Stocking using the 1 minute per box rule is a heck of a lot easier in the cereal aisle compared to pegged candy. Fifo'ing on the bottom shelf in the canned veggie aisle sounds good in theory.....Once someone has done this for more than 10 minutes they can understand the frustration or roadblocks that aren't always accounted for in theory. You don't have to spend all day every day working next to the team, but knowing that on a large workload day you are willing to roll up your sleeves and help out when needed. I really like the ETL LOG being at the door when the team comes in. They can set the mood for the day. The team lead can run the process and the ETL can use the time for planning or computer work. My favorite"aha" moment was when the new STL couldn't understand how a 2300 piece truck with 225 repacks could take longer than a 2500 piece truck with 60 repacks. (22 carts of back to school pens, pencils etc.not to mention the horror of the H&B repacks)I love when she would ask how big the truck was. She never asked about how much was actually push. I think the team also respects and needs consistency. Don't change your expectations for "big visits". If you accept less than the best every day, that is what you will get.

That's what I love about our logistics ETL. She is willing to help out anywhere she is needed. Although expectations are always higher for an important visit. She is consistent in what she expects from the team

Welcome to the team, Itslogistics. 13-year ETL-Log here. There are as many different management styles as there are ETL-Logs. I like jumping in and getting my hands dirty, myself, but usually in the backroom more than on flow. I ran an overnight process in Memphis once and I threw the truck every night, but this was mostly to stay awake and I was in much better physical shape in those days. I've always ran a solid process, but we didn't become outstanding until I accepted the fact that I directly supervise only two team leaders in my prototype, the Flow-TL and the Logistics-TL (who has Instocks as well as Backroom). They are expected to run their teams themselves, including all disciplinary action and any follow up related to their workcenters. Since I also spend a lot of time as LOD as well, my physical labor-to-"managing" ratio is probably somewhere around 30/70. Target would probably like it to be closer to 20/80 (check core roles when you get a chance), but my opinion is that I can't really know what kind of shape my backroom is really in if I didn't do pulls.

Be willing to go to bat for the team with the STL concerning hours and workload. The schedules are printed 2 weeks out and our trucks are filled 12-24 hours before delivery. They can range from 1800-2690. It does not take a genius to figure out that you will not be out at the "scheduled time" on those large truck days. If the RWT goal is 4pm and your team is being told to be out by 11, you will be leaving freight. That freight will be there tomorrow and the next and the next. It does not magically work itself. No amount of yelling, belittling or stomping her feet is going to make that workload be done in the amount of time given. When your TL and the team are leaving with sweat dripping down their faces, you have gotten the best of their work for the day. They deserve a "Thanks for all the hard work" not a "Why didn't you get it done" Remind the STL of that please.

I think that all any tm really wants is leadership that understands the job, the workload, the time it takes. Expectations should be realistic - if they have never done the job they have no real idea of how those expectations can be met and the obstacles that can get into the way. Follow up with trainers and trainees. As far as your question about when to come in I would say it is good to come in at the early time to start so they see that you know what their job is. Make sure that you convey your trust in the tl's and then alternate your shift start times so that you are available to them.

Welcome!

I'm going on 2 years with Target, 18months as an ETL and I've done AP and more recently Logistics. My biggest piece of advice is respect your team. Whether it's with hours, workload, vacation, coaching and corrective action, or just eating lunch in the breakroom, respect your team. For your first month in position don't change a thing, even if its broken. Your team is your biggest asset and they will soley decide whether or not you succeed so you have to get their buy-in first. If you win your team you'll succeed. Making everyone pancakes your first week always helps!

If you're taking over a process with strong TLs lucky you! If not, you need to get them out quickly. Like others have said you will rely very heavily on your TLs and if they aren't driving a strong culture and strong process you'll fail quickly.

As far as routines and what you'll do: I always try to be in for the unload if my LOD shifts allow it. The truck process is the heart of Logistics so you'd be foolish to miss it. The team does love to see you work with them; however, I think what the team enjoys more is seeing improvements. I spend a little time pushing/backstocking freight every truck, but the majority of the physical work I do is aimed at making my teams job easier. This could include re-profiling, D-code purge, flipping aisles for big transitions, slapping the salesfloor team when they don't take their salesplanner shippers out of my steel etc...

Also be quick to take suggestions. Your TMs know more than you now and unless you stay in logistics for awhile they will always know more. You could be the 10th ETL some of the seasoned guys have had so they know what works and are usually more than willing to share if you solicit the right way.

Bottom line is that BTS results are a better indicator of your process than DTK.

Best of Luck...Logistics is by far the best ETL position but also the most difficult with HR a close second.

Welcome to the Breakroom and to Target,I agree the ETL,Log is the most difficult and rewarding of the etl positions,I have been around a long time and it is not a position suitable for a new ETL,however it is also possible that you are the true exception and you can prove me wrong,but that is not likely,as regards HR being the second most difficult,LowlyETL ,I have to assume that is a joke ,there is no comparisson between that position and any other etl post.

Lowly etl mirrors the etl-log at my store. Mine is been there longer & drives his team well. He knows who works & doesn't work. Ihe works hard & gtc to him!

Welcome to the Breakroom and to Target,I agree the ETL,Log is the most difficult and rewarding of the etl positions,I have been around a long time and it is not a position suitable for a new ETL,however it is also possible that you are the true exception and you can prove me wrong,but that is not likely,as regards HR being the second most difficult,LowlyETL ,I have to assume that is a joke ,there is no comparisson between that position and any other etl post.

No joke about HR...it is the most stressful position in the store. HR metrics hit the dtl and above radar way faster than my backstock or brla numbers. Ask your stl if he or she is more concerned about 4th quarter hiring or 4th quarter freight flow...bts or rwt. Just my opinion...I've never done HR but our business is about people not packages.

Of course it is stressful,but that is not the same thing,we all know tms who are so stressed that they are on the verge of a breakdown,just read the posts here,and as regards tls and what they have to deal with at this time,more stress then most people can handle.Just compare the workload of etlhl to hr in a ulv store,I know that our would swap in a heartbeat,but then hr could never handle running the entire store plus gs,anyway,thats just my opinion and as I said in other threads I am not sure why the position of etlhr exists,but maybe you have just explained it to me,maybe for the benefit of the dm.
I like your line about our business being about people and not packages,you are a funny guy.

Hello everyone i am in my 3rd week of business college traing for an etl logistics. This has been a good guide to follow up on some gaps in training. THanks everyone for the intel and in advance for your help!

One quick question.........what do the flow tm's want in an etl logistics? A etl coming in at 3:30 helping to unload the truck with them or a etl who comes in at 6:00?

I like this.

My logistics ETL logistics is the manager you DON'T want. He avoids work at every turn, in the 3 years hes been log ETL hes thrown the truck for maybe a total of an hour. If he takes a line job, he takes the job as the spare push, and usually does NOTHING to speed up the process besides cram boxes on to the line and keep us from getting them off. He will lie to your face, I come in one morning and he tells me he had to come in early, at 1:30 (we start 4:00 am) he tells me "all the pulls in the main are done." I go, grab my PDA, check the pull list, hes pulled softlines, that's it.

If you are running behind on your section (yes, we used to work individual sections, rather than waving, we got told we have to wave by corporate), he would walk up and tell you to hurry up, and walk away. He would also do this little thing where he would open a case, put it up, not break down the box and walk off. Then he would tell people he "helped" you in that section.

And that is a good day for him, some days you see him once, to let you in the door. Those are actually the days that we appreciate more. Mostly because it can become a challenge holding back laughter, and the anger he can create just by trying to bark orders with his little numbers sheet just slows down productivity. The team is literally better off on the days he sits in his office all day long.

In comparison, our old ETL threw the truck every day, and would put up his section faster than anybody else. Everything moved smoothly, and even the biggest trucks were done by 11:00.

Thank you to everyone for the posts on here. I am a new ETL-Log in my third week of business college and want to be as prepared as possible upon arrival to my store. I do have to admit though I find it a little strange that many ETL's in business college are fresh out of college, brand new to the company, and are being trained by TL's below them. Does Target really value a degree that much more than experience?

Does Target really value a degree that much more than experience?
Sadly, yes.
You can read about many TMs on here who HAVE a degree & have put in their years with spot but, for whatever reason (payroll, ability to ID bullsh*t miles away, lack of willingness to sacrifice their fellow TMs for poor policies, etc), aren't considered promote-worthy.

Thank you to everyone for the posts on here. I am a new ETL-Log in my third week of business college and want to be as prepared as possible upon arrival to my store. I do have to admit though I find it a little strange that many ETL's in business college are fresh out of college, brand new to the company, and are being trained by TL's below them. Does Target really value a degree that much more than experience?

Yes, yes they do.

yes

Its cheaper that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back