Fourth Quarter Staffing

So it is the first week of August with all of the people leaving for various reasons there’s been little hiring leaving the remaining few wonder when or if the departed will be replaced.

Q4 is appearing like it is goin to be a rather bright flaming rolling dumpster fire of an event.

maybe it is a bit early to worry about this but frick poop is getting bad here fam

In my store they delayed being open until 11:00 PM because of this apparently.

I think some TMs would quit if we are open that late.

we have been trying to hire for a while and no one is applying. not a whole lot you can do with no applicants
Well what our GMETL does instead is with genuine puzzlement....""why aren't YOU ,party of 1 gm tm today; finished with 50 repacks, 4 U-boats, mountained 3 tier of barely sorted reshop, everyone else's trashed U-boat in the back aaaand 1F1 s not done for 3 days??? Hmmm?

Zero applicant flow at my store. Guess the economy is too good for anyone to be interested in $15 an hour part time jobs.

And they come in and get bombarded with way too much. At least now they get school costs covered if it’s business aligned for target.
Even for tl pay this stuff is for the birds.

We are staffed right now by old timers, or people working while going to school so very part time and mostly the staff is teenagers who will be leaving in droves when school goes back in a few weeks.. We are going to be sooooooooo screwed. We won't have a OPU/SFS crew cause they are %100 teenagers at this point.. I am still working receiving and looking hard at getting out cause I can't take some of the BS that ETL over SFS/OPU has pulled in the last couple few months.. Mainly just letting every single time off or availability request go auto deny, no matter if it was for school, a doctors appointment, vacation = auto deny then tell you "figure it out, and we can't have anyone take time off right now." then go take three weeks to travel out of country.. I'm done. It got ugly a few weeks back to the point of the STL stepping in cause she heard the yelling when I went off on her. Three repeated requests auto denied after she told me "Sure I will look at it."

We are staffed right now by old timers, or people working while going to school so very part time and mostly the staff is teenagers who will be leaving in droves when school goes back in a few weeks.. We are going to be sooooooooo screwed. We won't have a OPU/SFS crew cause they are %100 teenagers at this point.. I am still working receiving and looking hard at getting out cause I can't take some of the BS that ETL over SFS/OPU has pulled in the last couple few months.. Mainly just letting every single time off or availability request go auto deny, no matter if it was for school, a doctors appointment, vacation = auto deny then tell you "figure it out, and we can't have anyone take time off right now." then go take three weeks to travel out of country.. I'm done. It got ugly a few weeks back to the point of the STL stepping in cause she heard the yelling when I went off on her. Three repeated requests auto denied after she told me "Sure I will look at it."
that's when you take wether leave as they say. as in you go on vacation wether they approve it or not.

or they live in areas where $15/hr is minimum wage or only slightly above it, which means target's sell ("we pay way more than minimum or our competitors") doesn't work

$15/hr goes a lot further in arkansas than it does in california

Yep and they can walk across the street and make more. Which is what a lot of our employees did. I have a pretty set schedule which I need so I could let some money slide but it's time.

A surprise visit went extremely awful today. We now suddenly have more hours and TLs are starting to quietly ask favorites if they would be interested in OT because that might be coming. It would not be necessary if leadership had been doing a better job all along of performancing out the bottom feeders instead of asking the good TMs to pick up the slack, which kills morale and makes the top performers slow down on their own work. (Why should I get my own work done just so I can go help Jane who slacks off all day?) But, that's what's been happening. We actually rolled freight from a 1,000 piece truck last week. No, really, that happened.

I'd say we need to staff up a lot for 4th quarter. But, every new hire seems to be just there to ride the clock and we're in a state where $15/hr is better than almost every comparable job.

Last edited:
I’m trying to quit before Thanksgiving time at the latest, I have a feeling my store won’t keep help because we’ve lost people to other departments or have quit because of how the front has been in the past few months. It’s gonna be overwork in general and people don’t wanna work when they do their own good employees wrong.

A surprise visit went extremely awful today. We now suddenly have more hours and TLs are starting to quietly ask favorites if they would be interested in OT because that might be coming. It would not be necessary if leadership had been doing a better job all along of performancing out the bottom feeders instead of asking the good TMs to pick up the slack, which kills morale and makes the top performers slow down on their own work. (Why should I get my own work done just so I can go help Jane who slacks off all day?) But, that's what's been happening. We actually rolled freight from a 10,000 piece truck last week. No, really, that happened.

I'd say we need to staff up a lot for 4th quarter. But, every new hire seems to be just there to ride the clock and we're in a state where $15/hr is better than almost every comparable job.
We can agree on something now, It’s ridiculous and I’m glad I’ve been getting more hours since may, But a lot of the managers don’t know what to do at my job and some people who run the front for closing time are sloppy too. Even others in some departments are getting screwed right now with their work.

Yep and they can walk across the street and make more. Which is what a lot of our employees did. I have a pretty set schedule which I need so I could let some money slide but it's time.
"I have a pretty set schedule" which doesn't apply most TMs unless you are a DBO.

My new schedule has me working five days will three different start times and only one of them has anything to do with my availability.

Back