Archived Grocery Modernization 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone in a p fresh struggling with the changes? I don't even know what my daily routines are supposed to be anymore because I got promoted right before all the changes. Tips on double trucks both dry and fresh? I can never come clean anymore. I only run with a 4 person team every day. They have to pull CAFS and work both trucks. I can never find time to stop to order milk or produce anymore.

Oh, yeah. We've been having issues since the rollout of Push-All. We hardly come clean, our backroom aisles are overstuffed with merch that isn't getting pulled, and we have two different teams, one doing each truck--our FDC delivery comes at night since they send one truck to all the PFresh stores in our metro. Our CAFs aren't getting pulled because we have too much else to do, and the 4th quarter merch push has started, with no place to put it. (We haven't gotten our green-bean casserole endcap stuff yet, so there's that, but we have two pallets of sugar sitting.) Plus, we hired some new TMs who are just not grasping the concepts (and wander away to talk to other people), we fired one, and the Creeping Crud is working its way through the team just in time for the onset of 4th Quarter so we're losing TM-hours there, too. The morning PA is struggling to get his work done, and the evening PA is scatterbrained so he keeps running off to do something while we're trying to do the truck. Fortunately we have a very supportive leadership team who will do smart huddles in our area when necessary and help us with working freight.

Anyone in a p fresh struggling with the changes? I don't even know what my daily routines are supposed to be anymore because I got promoted right before all the changes. Tips on double trucks both dry and fresh? I can never come clean anymore. I only run with a 4 person team every day. They have to pull CAFS and work both trucks. I can never find time to stop to order milk or produce anymore.
. Four people? What are your sales in your department roughly on a weekday and a weekend? When do you get your FDC?

Talking to the leader won't change anything unless they get their head out of their ass. They follow whatever they are told to do. Just do your best and be aggressive with your own routines when it comes to ordering. What gets done gets done that day. The order can't be left out. If you can't finish, that's on Target and Modernization. Leave something for the next person to do. Come up with your own unique strategy.

Here’s a run down
PA does
1. milk and pfresh orders 15 mins each = 30 mins.
2. 150 produce, 3 pallets around = 3 hours
3. 10 boxes of bananas and fresh meat = 1 hour.
4 pushes vendor milk about 80 gallons plus specialty milk about 30 boxes from FDC truck = 1 hour.
5 zones culls waits on guests = 1 hour.
6 breaks down 2 dairy pallets around 240 pieces = 1 hour.

1 TM
1 pushes all dairy about 240 pieces average 8 to 10 uboats and backstocks all = 6 to 7 hours.
1 TM
1. Pushes and backstocks all freezer only 4 days a week average 200 pieces = 6 hours

Last edited:
Here’s a run down
PA does
1. milk and pfresh orders 15 mins each = 30 mins.
2. 150 produce, 3 pallets around = 3 hours
3. 10 boxes of bananas and fresh meat = 1 hour.
4 pushes vendor milk about 80 gallons plus specialty milk about 30 boxes from FDC truck = 1 hour.
5 zones culls waits on guests = 1 hour.
6 breaks down 2 dairy pallets around 240 pieces = 1 hour.

1 TM
1 pushes all dairy about 240 pieces average 8 to 10 uboats and backstocks all = 6 to 7 hours.
1 TM
1. Pushes and backstocks all freezer only 4 days a week average 200 pieces = 6 hours
TMs aren’t supposed to be doing the order anymore. The TL for that department has to do it and if he/she isn’t there that day the LOD has to do it. All out etls and Srs just got trained on how to do the order. The TM that has been doing it forever is pissed.

Same here. Im so backed up. I had to ignore caf to get the freight done for a week. Now they are up our asses about it. So I've been getting caf done, but not freight.

Something has to give. Today, I am setting the green bean and stuffing end caps just to get the overstock from the truck out.

And I can't help with our huge food truck that I had to pull a hl guy to work due to a call off. Oh, and I'm still getting so much water, it's in the ambient room next to the pallets and banana blankets that can't go out because our damn food trucks won't take them. We get 1 sweep on Tuesday to send them back and that's it.

We're drowning. I kept this market clean and full for a year and modernization is destroying it. I've followed the guide to a T and it's terrible.

Worst part is, my new to target stl blames me. Im apparently the one not getting things done. I overheard an argument between the stl and my etl. My etl outright refused to issue me a cca for the condition of market. I'm doing my best, and pre-modernization, we were doing great. At least my etl gets it.

Last edited:
Not true.
We had the group food director in our store for a district food training on the new model and that was one of the big things he mentioned. I suppose it’s a group thing then and not company wide but definitely something my group has to do and it’s a none negotiable.

And I can't help with our huge food truck that I had to pull a hl guy to work due to a call off. Oh, and I'm still getting so much water, it's in the ambient room next to the pallets and banana blankets that can't go out because our damn food trucks won't take them.

Drivers have told me we should not have more than two consecutive trucks with a backhaul (we get FDC every day). I’ve had some try to lie/complain/sneak their way into not taking pallets Quick call to sts and *presto* loaded the next delivery.

I like when they give us 20 fdc pallets stacked as 1 with only 20 boxes of freezer.
Nope those pallets stay on your truck a quick unload onto a uboat does the trick.

Always have 1 or 2 uboats ready for the small pallets and bananas from the truck.

God if I hear “non negotiable” one more time... 🙄

This is honestly a dispiriting theme of the upper leadership in Target.

You see, most stores are struggling with these changes in some way, and they do not get caught depending on how quickly they can shift their focus to the newest idea someone has!

The sad thing is that they are so unaware of their own bad ideas that they do not realize how much damage each new focus and “non-negotiable” hurts us.

You start by gutting logistics and telling stores to work tons of freight while the store is open, and you cut payroll in that transfer of responsibilities. Stores refuse to accept this fully and keep working freight before open because they get blasted on visits when the store is messy. This keeps getting pushed until the store starts to just go with the flow and try it out.

Stores start to struggle getting everything done, and suddenly upper leadership is concerned about freight and back stock not getting done and apply pressure. The store, knowing their resources are limited and working freight till early evening give up something. Some stores give up on some of their pulls (why pull things out at 6am, 1pm and 3pm when you have a line full of freight still?). Others give up on zone and reshop, letting the store brand fall apart.

Suddenly the company wants to know why pulls are not getting done. Stores, unsure of what to do, focus back on auto and caf pulls, and we start over with the floor being a mess with tons of freight laying around since we can’t have 2000+ piece trucks and 1000+ in pulls staged and fitting back there. The stores are going to get blasted by leadership again for having too much to work on their floor, and be told the guide is the answer to our problems.

This all stems back to, at the end of the day, payroll. Target cannot splurge because, even with a sales increase, cannot fund the growth. They are increasing in sales by spending money (remodels, brands, online investment) so profits are not increasing. Their operating model can work if payroll was not kept as low as before (back when stores spent all their hours on trucks and just no coverage during the day), but they can’t afford to do it financially.

I left with a full freezer of unpushed pallets and backstock. I was the only person to push dairy and frozen and there were still quite a few boats of dry.

This is honestly a dispiriting theme of the upper leadership in Target.

You see, most stores are struggling with these changes in some way, and they do not get caught depending on how quickly they can shift their focus to the newest idea someone has!

The sad thing is that they are so unaware of their own bad ideas that they do not realize how much damage each new focus and “non-negotiable” hurts us.

You start by gutting logistics and telling stores to work tons of freight while the store is open, and you cut payroll in that transfer of responsibilities. Stores refuse to accept this fully and keep working freight before open because they get blasted on visits when the store is messy. This keeps getting pushed until the store starts to just go with the flow and try it out.

Stores start to struggle getting everything done, and suddenly upper leadership is concerned about freight and back stock not getting done and apply pressure. The store, knowing their resources are limited and working freight till early evening give up something. Some stores give up on some of their pulls (why pull things out at 6am, 1pm and 3pm when you have a line full of freight still?). Others give up on zone and reshop, letting the store brand fall apart.

Suddenly the company wants to know why pulls are not getting done. Stores, unsure of what to do, focus back on auto and caf pulls, and we start over with the floor being a mess with tons of freight laying around since we can’t have 2000+ piece trucks and 1000+ in pulls staged and fitting back there. The stores are going to get blasted by leadership again for having too much to work on their floor, and be told the guide is the answer to our problems.

This all stems back to, at the end of the day, payroll. Target cannot splurge because, even with a sales increase, cannot fund the growth. They are increasing in sales by spending money (remodels, brands, online investment) so profits are not increasing. Their operating model can work if payroll was not kept as low as before (back when stores spent all their hours on trucks and just no coverage during the day), but they can’t afford to do it financially.
Rock, always spilling out logical truth. Run this company, please.

Same here. Im so backed up. I had to ignore caf to get the freight done for a week. Now they are up our asses about it. So I've been getting caf done, but not freight.

Something has to give. Today, I am setting the green bean and stuffing end caps just to get the overstock from the truck out.

And I can't help with our huge food truck that I had to pull a hl guy to work due to a call off. Oh, and I'm still getting so much water, it's in the ambient room next to the pallets and banana blankets that can't go out because our damn food trucks won't take them. We get 1 sweep on Tuesday to send them back and that's it.

We're drowning. I kept this market clean and full for a year and modernization is destroying it. I've followed the guide to a T and it's terrible.

Worst part is, my new to target stl blames me. Im apparently the one not getting things done. I overheard an argument between the stl and my etl. My etl outright refused to issue me a cca for the condition of market. I'm doing my best, and pre-modernization, we were doing great. At least my etl gets it.
Why I left or at least one reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back